Granary Square, Kings X Instead of Russell Sq - Trafalgar Sq Alternative - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Granary Square, Kings X Instead of Russell Sq - Trafalgar Sq Alternative

Chris frae Killie

I have a post running just now - 'Alternatives to Trafalgar Square'. I have decided to change my initial opinion but don't know how to edit that original post?? In my initial post I suggest Russell Square along with a few other options. Having listened to lots of opinions and done a bit more research I think Granary Square would be better suited. It is in the same proximity as Russell Square so still easy access for the Tartan Army arriving into Kings X and Euston Stations, still easy direct tube line to Wembley from Euston Square, it has pubs, it has no grass (worry about potential mudbath) and it even has fountains!!

The other option is Covent Garden which looks really nice but not so well suited to a mass gathering but great if you want to spend the day in the pub or on a terrace!

Can see where you are coming from but would advise against it. 

Kings Cross & st Pancras are major travel hubs and therefore security is always a big concern. Can't see the police being too keen with crowds of people drinking outside the station.

Granary Square has lots of bars and restaurants but not pubs. Really nice places and some are among our best customers someouldnusually recommend them but doubt they will be keen on welcoming large groups of football fans.

8 hours ago, Chris frae Killie said:

I have a post running just now - 'Alternatives to Trafalgar Square'. I have decided to change my initial opinion but don't know how to edit that original post?? In my initial post I suggest Russell Square along with a few other options. Having listened to lots of opinions and done a bit more research I think Granary Square would be better suited. It is in the same proximity as Russell Square so still easy access for the Tartan Army arriving into Kings X and Euston Stations, still easy direct tube line to Wembley from Euston Square, it has pubs, it has no grass (worry about potential mudbath) and it even has fountains!!

The other option is Covent Garden which looks really nice but not so well suited to a mass gathering but great if you want to spend the day in the pub or on a terrace!

Have you even looked at Covent Garden, Go onto google street view, there is loads of room for a mass gathering with a carry oot

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Covent+Garden,+London/@51.511942,-0.1237473,3a,75y,99.91h,88.28t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sabHtoVSlKzINrw1ZOFGipw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DabHtoVSlKzINrw1ZOFGipw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D65.965096%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487604cb878e81b3:0x91f10fa364452046!8m2!3d51.5117321!4d-0.1232697

5 hours ago, podgers1903 said:

Yes I have but it is not a big open space, it is a square with a large building in the middle which leaves effectively a pedestrian road around it. I am not saying it wouldn't be good, just that those looking for a 'Trafalgar Square' experience (i.e. 10,000+) would not get quite what they are looking for. I am tempted to go there to be honest though I do like the look of it.

6 hours ago, Parsno1 said:

people will go where they want to go. No need for several Posts. Most folk will head to the pre match gigs or usually gather outside them at a nearby pub and enjoy the cool fresh air instead of the sweatboxes inside.

You are right, they will go where they want. There will be a lot of people who would've normally gone to Trafalgar Square (sadly there still will be) that are looking for an alternative area to gather, so I am just trying to help those people, myself included, to come together. As the FA and the City of London are not providing any advice for the thousands of Scottish fans who will be descending upon their city at a sensitive time, we have to organise ourselves.

What about Albert Square?  There`s a couple of boozers, a fenced off area to congregate in the middle of the square, for the older members of the TA who might need a seat there is Arthur`s bench.Walford East tube station a couple of minutes walk away, a chip shop and a café as well.Not sure if the market is set up on a Friday.

5 hours ago, Chris frae Killie said:

You are right, they will go where they want. There will be a lot of people who would've normally gone to Trafalgar Square (sadly there still will be) that are looking for an alternative area to gather, so I am just trying to help those people, myself included, to come together. As the FA and the City of London are not providing any advice for the thousands of Scottish fans who will be descending upon their city at a sensitive time, we have to organise ourselves.

Why sadly will there be folk going to Trafalgar Square? I will be going to take part in the 2 minute silence then move on. 

17 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

Has anyone suggested Lorne Square yet? Great with an early pint...

:rollsmile:

19 hours ago, ChrisPro said:

What about Albert Square?  There`s a couple of boozers, a fenced off area to congregate in the middle of the square, for the older members of the TA who might need a seat there is Arthur`s bench.Walford East tube station a couple of minutes walk away, a chip shop and a café as well.Not sure if the market is set up on a Friday.

:rollsmile:

Edited by Chris frae Killie

18 hours ago, Parsno1 said:

Why sadly will there be folk going to Trafalgar Square? I will be going to take part in the 2 minute silence then move on. 

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I will try to get there myself, I have even bought a couple of those little crosses with poppies on to leave but what I meant was that there will still be several hundred or more that will just go there to booze as we normally do. As there is no official alternative a lot of footsoldiers and newbies will default to norm.The unfortunate side effect of this is that they will likely disturb/upset people who will be going there to pay their respects.

No way the Police are going to let any Scotland fans hang about Trafalgar Square. Do the right thing and pay your respects and leave, or don't go at all.

Even the suggestion of using Trafalgar Square on Armistice Day to congregate in large numbers is stupid. Who the f*ck cares if that's what has been done in years gone by. The games in years gone by haven't been played on 11th November. The press will be all over it and we will be slated.

Don't tarnish our good name by hanging around with a carry out making noise, putting fairy liquid in the fountains etc. when other people are there to pay respect to those who have fallen.

On 11/1/2016 at 0:05 AM, Chris frae Killie said:

Why do you want to change years and years of tradition?  What happens at Trafalger Square on the 11th is not an English thing it is a for everyone who had friends relatives family that were affected by war,  why should Scottish football fans go elswhere?  can we not show respect, be empathic to the cause, show our true colours rather than go and find somewhere else to go and get "pisht" following Scotland is not just about finding a "square with pubs and a fountain"  and causing a "mudbath"   and I for one will not be going somewhere else, my dad my grandfather both followed Scotland and both had a laugh at Trafalger.  I also know that if they were going on a day such as the 11th they would not be going anywhere else as they would have been wanting to be part of the remembrance of their friends and collegues who died in the war.   Sorry for disagreeing but I will not be going anywhere other than Trafalger.  Feel kind of pissed off you are even suggesting such a thing. Its what every scot wfrom the gordon highlanders and every other scottish regiment would have wanted.......you honestly believe they would have wanted us all to go and find somewhere else its our day as much as anybody elses.

Edited by bigfathagiz

On 03/11/2016 at 7:28 PM, bigfathagiz said:

Why do you want to change years and years of tradition?  What happens at Trafalger Square on the 11th is not an English thing it is a for everyone who had friends relatives family that were affected by war,  why should Scottish football fans go elswhere?  can we not show respect, be empathic to the cause, show our true colours rather than go and find somewhere else to go and get "pisht" following Scotland is not just about finding a "square with pubs and a fountain"  and causing a "mudbath"   and I for one will not be going somewhere else, my dad my grandfather both followed Scotland and both had a laugh at Trafalger.  I also know that if they were going on a day such as the 11th they would not be going anywhere else as they would have been wanting to be part of the remembrance of their friends and collegues who died in the war.   Sorry for disagreeing but I will not be going anywhere other than Trafalger.  Feel kind of pissed off you are even suggesting such a thing. Its what every scot wfrom the gordon highlanders and every other scottish regiment would have wanted.......you honestly believe they would have wanted us all to go and find somewhere else its our day as much as anybody elses.

Good on you for sticking with your principles. I want to go there too as it is where I have always gone but I equally don't want to be part of a large crowd of singing, drinking football fans who will inevitably upset some people who just want to quietly reflect and remember. I'm not saying the TA are not capable of being respectful but we want to enjoy ourselves too and I just don't see that happening for me at Trafalgar Square if I am conscious of disturbing others. I will certainly swing by to pay my respects and see how the atmosphere is. enjoy yourself whatever you choose to do!

27 minutes ago, Chris frae Killie said:

Good on you for sticking with your principles. I want to go there too as it is where I have always gone but I equally don't want to be part of a large crowd of singing, drinking football fans who will inevitably upset some people who just want to quietly reflect and remember. I'm not saying the TA are not capable of being respectful but we want to enjoy ourselves too and I just don't see that happening for me at Trafalgar Square if I am conscious of disturbing others. I will certainly swing by to pay my respects and see how the atmosphere is. enjoy yourself whatever you choose to do!

Just out of curiosity is there remembrance stuff on all day, or is it just the morning?