Poppies on shirts? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poppies on shirts?

andreimack

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/poll-ifa-asks-fifa-if-northern-ireland-team-can-wear-poppy-but-is-it-a-political-symbol-35180649.html

I see the IFA (surprise surprise) have followed suit. Would be a great source of amusement if it resulted in a points deduction costing our northern cousins up the road qualification :lol:

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

There will NOT be any points deduction no matter what the SFA decides to do

I doubt there will be a points deduction, however, I'd expect that any sanction will be severe when compared to others.   It's pretty obvious that if say you're going to do something, get told that it's against the rules, then say you don't care we're going to do it anyway and we'll take the consequences then the governing body isn't going to look kindly on that.  Especially if you form part of the board that makes up the rules in the first place. 

Let's be honest, they're not going to deduct points from England, although they're not a big draw football wise, TV and advertising and the worldwide profile of their top players means there will be no points deduction is case it jeopardised Slovakia qualifying in their place.

A financial penalty seems most likely, FIFA like money.

32 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Let's be honest, they're not going to deduct points from England, although they're not a big draw football wise, TV and advertising and the worldwide profile of their top players means there will be no points deduction is case it jeopardised Slovakia qualifying in their place.

A financial penalty seems most likely, FIFA like money.

Maybe they'll just deduct points from Scotland then.

Point is, they've said don't do it, if we go and do it anyway then we're in bigger trouble than if we'd done then been told it wasn't allowed.  I have the same problem with my 11 year old, where he's the SFA and I'm FIFA.

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Point is, they've said don't do it, if we go and do it anyway then we're in bigger trouble than if we'd done then been told it wasn't allowed.  I have the same problem with my 11 year old, where he's the SFA and I'm FIFA.

What happened last time this happened?  I believe it has happened at least once before - not certain though.

6 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

What happened last time this happened?  I believe it has happened at least once before - not certain though.

do you mean in the eighties when people bought a poppy in the week run up to the sunday, so they could give a charitable donation

some old grannies went to a sunday service which was a bit busier than usual

and a half hour programme appeared of politcians and royals laying a wreath on the sunday

and that was it

when we were involved in more just wars and didn't need to hype up and ram down peoples throats a now politicised symbol

and naebdae at football did f*ck all

16 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Don't disagree, was just making the point that any sanction is likely to be financial.

Our boy is only 3, but also trying to install the same. The current "sanctions" of choice are no bed time story, or no scooter on way to nursery.

My wife was going too big and threatening to cancel summer holidays and the likes.

:lol:

If you're going to threaten a sanction you have to be willing and able to follow it through.

Edited by sbcmfc

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, jailender said:

Personally, I think each player should choose if he wants to wear or not.

That wouldn't be fair on the players, agree with sbcmfc.  Best not doing it at all, then there are no potential issues.

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

do you mean in the eighties when people bought a poppy in the week run up to the sunday, so they could give a charitable donation

some old grannies went to a sunday service which was a bit busier than usual

and a half hour programme appeared of politcians and royals laying a wreath on the sunday

and that was it

when we were involved in more just wars and didn't need to hype up and ram down peoples throats a now politicised symbol

and naebdae at football did f*ck all

No, didn't mean that.

a big poppy  display before kick off with fans holding up paper, to show up FIFA . It would be mandatory to participate in display, or you would be identified by cctv and publicly shamed and named. 

And your points points deducted, would ensure that everyone took part in this.  

7 hours ago, Bino's said:

Regan must go

taking on world football over an issue like wearing a poppy

whilst not bothering to spend his time restructuring our game so we actually produce footballers of any ability

the bulk of his time appears spent trying to milk the most cash out of the fans

he is not fit for purpose

Again. 

I'm with Bino's on this one.