Poppies on shirts? - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poppies on shirts?

andreimack

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Bino's said:

do you mean in the eighties when people bought a poppy in the week run up to the sunday, so they could give a charitable donation

some old grannies went to a sunday service which was a bit busier than usual

and a half hour programme appeared of politcians and royals laying a wreath on the sunday

and that was it

when we were involved in more just wars and didn't need to hype up and ram down peoples throats a now politicised symbol

and naebdae at football did f*ck all

What planet are you from?

Has anyone thought or mentioned the irony of the government and other politicians arguing in favour of poppies, when in fact it's many of them who voted for more recent wars ?

We want to fight for the right (of footballers) to commemorate those who have fallen because of us.

2 days ago I saw a poppy growing in the Alps...did it bring memories of WW 1 or the ex British serviceman who died for our country, no it didn't I just thought WTF is a poppy doing growing in November.

Maybe we can say we will wear a poppy turn up without a poppy then score 2 goals whilst the English figure out what's going on.

1 hour ago, Khana Lagur said:

I admire the SFA for their stance on this and disagree with this article.  I am deeply indebted to all of these brave lads that lost their lives in defending our freedom.  I think it is entirely a personal choice to wear the poppy.

I will not be wearing a poppy because I jist dinny like wearing floourz,  

I support Rangers,  I am a weegie,  I like beer and fags,  

I will be in Trafalger because I respect what people from my country did

I'm not going lookin for another square with a fountain and a pub

trafalger is mine,...

I will not be wearing pink.....but who cares......

everbody to there ain

Edited by bigfathagiz

I'all be wearing a Poppy, because I want to. 

Not because I'm joining a bandwagon, but because I wear a Poppy every year as a mark of respect. 

I do still think that this stushie is all because FIFA have said it is a political statement when it is not. (IMO)

Each to their own in this matter.

My biggest fear is that there will be groups of Poppy wearers roaming the stadium perimeter hunting non-Poppy wearers like the supposed saga in Bratislava with the kilts :D

2 hours ago, fringo said:

Has anyone thought or mentioned the irony of the government and other politicians arguing in favour of poppies, when in fact it's many of them who voted for more recent wars ?

We want to fight for the right (of footballers) to commemorate those who have fallen because of us.

Yep. Whats the point of rememberance when we don't learn from these "mistakes"? 

No time for poppies or the miltary in general actually but respect people's wishes to wear one. 

To take it back to step 1 it doesn't need to be part of football in the first place.

There are sufficient suitable tributes at appropriate times and locations.

This whole farce is (IMO) disrespectful to the entire point of remembrance day and has been hijacked and politicised inappropriately.

Edited by fringo

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I admire the SFA for their stance on this and disagree with this article.  I am deeply indebted to all of these brave lads that lost their lives in defending our freedom.  I think it is entirely a personal choice to wear the poppy.

Exactly.  It is a personal choice for individuals.  The SFA should butt out. 

3 hours ago, jock strap said:

I'all be wearing a Poppy, because I want to. 

Not because I'm joining a bandwagon, but because I wear a Poppy every year as a mark of respect. 

I do still think that this stushie is all because FIFA have said it is a political statement when it is not. (IMO)

Each to their own in this matter.

My biggest fear is that there will be groups of Poppy wearers roaming the stadium perimeter hunting non-Poppy wearers like the supposed saga in Bratislava with the kilts :D

It is.  If somebody or anybody thinks it's a political statement then it is. 

If I was prime minister....which I'm not.....:spin:........I would have said this.    "If football players wish to respect their forefathers and mothers and relatives, friends etc who sacrificed their lives in the war then I am sure they could and will find a private moment to do so"   does it really need to be at a football match?   Surely it would be better to focus the mind on the reasons why we had so many die and pay our respects with a clear head and focus on that than do it at the beginning of a fitbaw game with 80.000 fans singing shyte at each other.......saying that FIFA banning it seems a bit over the top.

Edited by bigfathagiz

Think it's a personal choice and personally would always wear a poppy as mark of respect. Danger is younger generations continue to forget the madness that occurred back in WW1. Is it anything to do with football....probably not but equally let's not use it as some on here are for the usual SFA, Regan bashing. Quite frankly it's boring.

Lets face it FIFA are a complete bunch of tossers who come up with some fantastic ideas like 'week of football' for qualifiers which shafts the fans who want to go to games for the sake of another TV buck. 

Not sure the motivations of the sfa but their stance is right. It is FIFA that seem to be politicising this IMHO. Political correctness rides again. FFS

Lets face it a points deduction wouldnae affect our qualification anyway chances anyway ☹️

19 hours ago, Bino's said:

do you mean in the eighties when people bought a poppy in the week run up to the sunday, so they could give a charitable donation

some old grannies went to a sunday service which was a bit busier than usual

and a half hour programme appeared of politcians and royals laying a wreath on the sunday

and that was it

when we were involved in more just wars and didn't need to hype up and ram down peoples throats a now politicised symbol

and naebdae at football did f*ck all

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What planet are you from?

Bino's, like me, can remember most of the 1980s and first half of the 1990s.

I can confirm what Bino's posted is true. Back then the poppy was just another "flag" from a charity.

It was partly worn by individuals to stop the tin rattlers in the street from pestering you "I've already made a donation pal." and partly worn as a mark of respect by individuals to church on Remembrance Sunday and the week leading up to it.

It was all acceptable in the 80s. I'm amazed with where we've got to with this now.

1 hour ago, Goozay said:

Bino's, like me, can remember most of the 1980s and first half of the 1990s.

I can confirm what Bino's posted is true. Back then the poppy was just another "flag" from a charity.

It was partly worn by individuals to stop the tin rattlers in the street from pestering you "I've already made a donation pal." and partly worn as a mark of respect by individuals to church on Remembrance Sunday and the week leading up to it.

It was all acceptable in the 80s. I'm amazed with where we've got to with this now.

Yes, this is my memory of what "Remembrance" time was like. And it didn't start in October and, if it had been about then, dancers on Strictly wouldn't have been wearing sparkly poppies.

But then "back then" was before Blair and his cohorts politicised it for their own illegal war ends.

The players can (and probably will) wear poppies on the way to the ground. Strachan and the England Manager (I've forgotten who he is - genuinely) can wear them in the dugout. Plenty of opportunity for respect and remembrance without making an issue out of it.

I'm rather worried about the SFA trailing alongside the EFA in this like a loyal wee yappy dug. The EFA are always picking fights with FIFA - why should we look as if we want to be identified with them.

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, aaid said:

FIFA now opening disciplinary actions against the FAI over the Easter Rising logo.

The FA and SFA are grasses. 

Ahh, that'll be why Lee Wallace is still in the squad.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

FIFA now opening disciplinary actions against the FAI over the Easter Rising logo.

The FA and SFA are grasses. 

English touts

Seem to recall we got it cleared by  Uefa but could be wrong still, it was only a friendly, so no points deduction and a small fine likely  however  :lol:

I hope your pockets are deep as FIFA will come hard  on this , lets face it they have to otherwise every country could be at it