Poppies on shirts? - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poppies on shirts?

andreimack

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, aaid said:

FIFA now opening disciplinary actions against the FAI over the Easter Rising logo.

The FA and SFA are grasses. 

Quite Ironic really ...especially considering the 1916 Proclamation by the rebellions leaders declaring us a Republic and how it ultimately lead us to becoming the "Republic of Ireland"...the same name FIFA have no bother allowing as a member of their organisation.

Its up to the individual if they want to wear it imo, not FIFA

FIFA fining us now just make us them look even more what we all already think of them....corrupt and hypocritical

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

15 minutes ago, Newryrep said:

English touts

Seem to recall we got it cleared by  Uefa but could be wrong still, it was only a friendly, so no points deduction and a small fine likely  however  :lol:

I hope your pockets are deep as FIFA will come hard  on this , lets face it they have to otherwise every country could be at it

I thought the same - and am pretty sure we were cleared by UEFA ...which makes FIFAs turnaround even more laughable

45 minutes ago, Green_Tide_Rising said:

Quite Ironic really ...especially considering the 1916 Proclamation by the rebellions leaders declaring us a Republic and how it ultimately lead us to becoming the "Republic of Ireland"...the same name FIFA have no bother allowing as a member of their organisation.

Its up to the individual if they want to wear it imo, not FIFA

FIFA fining us now just make us them look even more what we all already think of them....corrupt and hypocritical

Well your opinion is objectively wrong. It is up to FIFA. It is their club hence it is their rules and their rules state it is not up the individual player if they want to wear it or not. As per FIFA rules they are simply not allowed, whether one likes the rule or not.

I think if we get fined after being cleared by UEFA it is a bit of a joke (and even if UEFA made an error according to FIFA, that's not the FAI's fault). However if we received no such clearance then we would have to accept that it is correct that we receive some sort of fine or public rebuke. Even if we were grassed out.

Absolutely ratted out by the FA and SFA! :D

I can't imagine we'll get any more than a fine. Even then it's worth it in order to provide another spectacular example of FIFA incompetence. Despite it being well publicised, and there being extensive video and photographic evidence it took them 8 months after the match to realise we'd a special jersey...

10 hours ago, teale27 said:

Think it's a personal choice and personally would always wear a poppy as mark of respect. Danger is younger generations continue to forget the madness that occurred back in WW1. Is it anything to do with football....probably not but equally let's not use it as some on here are for the usual SFA, Regan bashing. Quite frankly it's boring.

Lets face it FIFA are a complete bunch of tossers who come up with some fantastic ideas like 'week of football' for qualifiers which shafts the fans who want to go to games for the sake of another TV buck. 

Not sure the motivations of the sfa but their stance is right. It is FIFA that seem to be politicising this IMHO. Political correctness rides again. FFS

Lets face it a points deduction wouldnae affect our qualification anyway chances anyway ☹️

Was that not a UEFA idea?

21 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I admire the SFA for their stance on this and disagree with this article.  I am deeply indebted to all of these brave lads that lost their lives in defending our freedom.  I think it is entirely a personal choice to wear the poppy.

Killing unarmed civilians (in addition to rape, looting, imprisonment and torture) in India, Ireland, Burma, Kenya, Malaya, Oman and Aden was all about "defending our freedom" ? ;)

Almost all of Britain's wars in the last 100 years have been about suppressing other people's freedom.

12 hours ago, teale27 said:

Think it's a personal choice and personally would always wear a poppy as mark of respect. Danger is younger generations continue to forget the madness that occurred back in WW1. Is it anything to do with football....probably not but equally let's not use it as some on here are for the usual SFA, Regan bashing. Quite frankly it's boring.

Lets face it FIFA are a complete bunch of tossers who come up with some fantastic ideas like 'week of football' for qualifiers which shafts the fans who want to go to games for the sake of another TV buck. 

Not sure the motivations of the sfa but their stance is right. It is FIFA that seem to be politicising this IMHO. Political correctness rides again. FFS

Lets face it a points deduction wouldnae affect our qualification anyway chances anyway ☹️

Kids get taught about the First and Second World Wars in school.

Sadly they do not learn that British armed forces were not always "the good guys" something that should be changed. There plenty of elderly people alive today across Africa and Asia and who would tell you otherwise and in graphic detail.

Also how is FIFA's stance due to political correctness ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

11 hours ago, Goozay said:

Bino's, like me, can remember most of the 1980s and first half of the 1990s.

I can confirm what Bino's posted is true. Back then the poppy was just another "flag" from a charity.

It was partly worn by individuals to stop the tin rattlers in the street from pestering you "I've already made a donation pal." and partly worn as a mark of respect by individuals to church on Remembrance Sunday and the week leading up to it.

It was all acceptable in the 80s. I'm amazed with where we've got to with this now.

I can remember all of the 70's, 80's 90's and what ever you call the two decades since. I can remember my grandfather who fought in the first world war and lost his brother two days after getting there, I remember the guy in the village who survived a German gas attack and his vivid description of the deaths of his comrades. I can remember people who were effected by the Iolaire disaster on Jan 1st 1919 http://www.stornowayhistoricalsociety.org.uk/iolaire-disaster.html 

I am probably wrong to regard remembrance day as a tribute to the futility of the first world war alone.

In the 70's and 80's the only time I saw a poppy was on remembrance Sunday itself. Now a days it appears to be little more than a game of one upmanship by the media and others, so I agree with you there.

I don't know how remembrance works in cities or large towns, but on the islands we have war memorials for specific areas of the island. You can see the names, the ages and the addresses of the fallen It is very humbling to see two or three names from the same address, the same surname from the same village, the same day of death and many of the same ages, friend classmates and cousins no doubt.

Maybe the fact the islands has a more close knitted community explains why there will be over a 100 at the local war memorial to remember the dead next Sunday, all ages and no matter the weather.

Back to the original topic of the thread and I stand by my suggestion that it would be more suitable if the squads themselves did something as the role models they should be,

Despite the way this thread appears I am sure the vast majority do want to remember the dead and want it to be a united show rather than a "go away and do it in your own time one"

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Let them fine us, let them fine us big!

The more we get fined the less Regan and co will be creaming out of us

The more we get fined the more SSC membership will go up or the less money we will have to recruit a new manager if Strachan goes.  

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Back to the original topic of the thread and I stand by my suggestion that it would be more suitable if the squads themselves did something as the role models they should be,

Despite the way this thread appears I am sure the vast majority do want to remember the dead and want it to be a united show rather than a "go away and do it in your own time one"

Well said cove good easy reading article here http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/remembrance-day-four-brave-brothers-2715853

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Replace the poppy with this :ok:

Quite right that would get it right up them !

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Killing unarmed civilians (in addition to rape, looting, imprisonment and torture) in India, Ireland, Burma, Kenya, Malaya, Oman and Aden was all about "defending our freedom" ? ;)

Almost all of Britain's wars in the last 100 years have been about suppressing other people's freedom.

Kids get taught about the First and Second World Wars in school.

Sadly they do not learn that British armed forces were not always "the good guys" something that should be changed. There plenty of elderly people alive today across Africa and Asia and who would tell you otherwise and in graphic detail.

Also how is FIFA's stance due to political correctness ?

War is a terrible thing and I am sure that a very small proportion of our soldiers did terrible things.  I can't see how our fights in the Great War or ww2 can be considered suppressing our freedom.  I fully supported our involvement in defending the Falklands. In each of these cases we were not the aggressor.  My point being its an individual's choice.  I choose to wear the poppy.  The team should be able to do the same. 

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

War is a terrible thing and I am sure that a very small proportion of our soldiers did terrible things.  I can't see how our fights in the Great War or ww2 can be considered suppressing our freedom.  I fully supported our involvement in defending the Falklands. In each of these cases we were not the aggressor.  My point being its an individual's choice.  I choose to wear the poppy.  The team should be able to do the same. 

Suggest you read about how "our soldiers" fought brutal campaigns against pro-independence and pro-civil rights movements in - Ireland (1916-1921), Iraq (1920), India (continuously until 1947), Burma (continuously until 1948), Kenya (1952-1960), Oman (1954-1959), Malaya (1948-1960) and Aden (1963-1967). They were brutal colonial oppressors and are not remembered fondly in these nations. Face the facts.

Read about the concentration camps established and "our brave boys" indulging in gang rapes in Kenya or the use of extremely harmful chemical defoliants and saturation bombing used in Malaya during the 1950s. Not to mention the casual torture of prisoners, many of them innocent. 

You may want to brush all that under the carpet but I'd like kids to learn about this. 

18 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Suggest you read about how "our soldiers" fought brutal campaigns against pro-independence and pro-civil rights movements in - Ireland (1916-1921), Iraq (1920), India (continuously until 1947), Burma (continuously until 1948), Kenya (1952-1960), Oman (1954-1959), Malaya (1948-1960) and Aden (1963-1967). They were brutal colonial oppressors and are not remembered fondly in these nations. Face the facts.

Read about the concentration camps established and "our brave boys" indulging in gang rapes in Kenya or the use of extremely harmful chemical defoliants and saturation bombing used in Malaya during the 1950s. Not to mention the casual torture of prisoners, many of them innocent. 

You may want to brush all that under the carpet but I'd like kids to learn about this. 

Very well said, Sir. The British are perhaps world champions in propaganda. The goodies and the baddies, etc.