Poppies on shirts? - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poppies on shirts?

andreimack

6 hours ago, greenforever said:

How can you say noone is firced to wear a poppy if its embroided into the nwtch day shirt

James McClean refuses to wear one and gets death threats in social media and a huge amount of abuse.

How you can even think that this is a voluntary gesture ? - 

Wear a poppy or face massive abuse

Some freedom that is

He didn't wear it though. And nobody killed him, or jailed him, or fined him. Or any sort of punishment really. So therefore, no one is forced to wear it. Even in the Armed Forces you're not made to wear one. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, shaddypeekey said:

He didn't wear it though. And nobody killed him, or jailed him, or fined him. Or any sort of punishment really. So therefore, no one is forced to wear it. Even in the Armed Forces you're not made to wear one. 

Then why the media witch hunt

Why the social media threats and abuse

If it was a genuine voluntary thing there wouldn't be any publicity regardless of weather people chose to wear or not to wear.

You can fool yourself but on the world stage ir shows the UK off as intolerant 

There's absolutely no need to wear it at a sports event. In fact, there's no real reason to wear it at all. The mass adoption of the poppy is nothing more than a superficial act that hides the fact that the vast majority of people have next to no interest in what it was meant to mean. You only have to look at the pathetic attendance at Remembrance Day memorials to see how far people are willing to go to commemorate the war dead. Far easier to stick a poppy on and make it look like you give a shit. And as others have said, if you are in the public eye these days,it's no worth the hassle if you choose not to wear one - not that you have a choice, it's probably handed to you by costume department along with everyone else. It's an almost meaningless act which begs the question why certain institutions and people are desperate to make a scandal of it. One word: politics.

33 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

There's absolutely no need to wear it at a sports event. In fact, there's no real reason to wear it at all. The mass adoption of the poppy is nothing more than a superficial act that hides the fact that the vast majority of people have next to no interest in what it was meant to mean. You only have to look at the pathetic attendance at Remembrance Day memorials to see how far people are willing to go to commemorate the war dead. Far easier to stick a poppy on and make it look like you give a shit. And as others have said, if you are in the public eye these days,it's no worth the hassle if you choose not to wear one - not that you have a choice, it's probably handed to you by costume department along with everyone else. It's an almost meaningless act which begs the question why certain institutions and people are desperate to make a scandal of it. One word: politics.

Excellent post. 

2 hours ago, greenforever said:

Then why the media witch hunt

Why the social media threats and abuse

If it was a genuine voluntary thing there wouldn't be any publicity regardless of weather people chose to wear or not to wear.

You can fool yourself but on the world stage ir shows the UK off as intolerant 

I don't know if you've noticed but Intolerance has been bang on trend since June.

19 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Again you have completely twisted what I said.

However, I've noticed that's what you always do when you debate with anyone on this board, patronise and twist the content, your an expert at it. So what's the point ?

I've posted facts. All of them admitted by the British government and in their own archives declassified. It's all out there to read by anyone, even an apologist for colonial atrocities like you.

Yeah sweep it under the carpet, that's a good idea. 

I actually used some old articles from the Guardian and event the Daily Mail but knock yourself out as an apologist for it all.

And yes I do believe the government of an independent Scotland should formally apologise to the former colonies because Scottish soldiers, colonial police, missionaries, merchants and colonial civil servants were at the rotten core of the empire and the oppression and exploitation of others. I repeat, it takes a big nation to admit it was wrong and say sorry.

I care not a jot for all these silly ridiculous regiments and corps of the army, or the meaningless little medals and ribbons. The whole notion of "Scotland's proud military heritage" leaves me cold and ashamed, not proud at all. All of it is just elaborate window dressing to distract people, to romanticise the whole vile, bloody business. 

My sympathies lie with those throughout history who had the guts to say "no" to war and imperialism.

The men and women who spoke out against the threatening other countries, recruitment for the forces or helping to manufacture munitions, against starving civilians by blockade or blasting their towns and cities to hell and bravely called for negotiated peace - are the real heroes.

And what did they suffer for it ? Imprisonment or fines, many were shunned by former friends and even by family. Many too lost their jobs and were expelled from clubs and societies they were members of. Daily venomous hatred inspired by the press and politicians, lapped up by the gullible and narrow minded resulted in those who spoke against war being physically assaulted and their properties attacked - all because they simply wouldn't follow the crowd.

A few posters on this thread would of course consider such people to be "treacherous scum" no doubt because they loved, respected and cared for humanity rather than killing.

I won't post on this thread again, I think everyone's getting bored with it all and will leave the billy brits to their worship of their precious military and making excuses for their brave boys in khaki acting like savages in foreign lands - but before I do I'll end with this hopeful reflection.

Thankfully an increasing number of people are beginning to reject this celebration of war and either ignore it altogether or campaign for peace and reconciliation instead. :ok: 

Another great response. Well done. You are not alone. Hopefully, the white poppy will be understood and worn by many, many more as people are made more aware. 

4 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

My sympathies lie with those throughout history who had the guts to say "no" to war

Mines go to those that defended this nation against Hitler and drove him and his murdering armies back then defeated them.  If a scenario like that happened again and it easily could with way the world is going then I will help my country fight back with every vein in my body.  You would stand back as is your right.  Good job we beat the Germans or that might not been a decision you would be allowed to make.  Kid.

9 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Mines go to those that defended this nation against Hitler and drove him and his murdering armies back then defeated them.  If a scenario like that happened again and it easily could with way the world is going then I will help my country fight back with every vein in my body.  You would stand back as is your right.  Good job we beat the Germans or that might not been a decision you would be allowed to make.  Kid.

I don't remember writing that sentence attributed to me 17 minutes ago. I do remember agreeing with the poster though. 

5 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

I don't remember writing that sentence attributed to me 17 minutes ago. I do remember agreeing with the poster though. 

Sorry, if misquoted.  Where do you stand on fighting against hitler and any other agressor who would enslave us at best?  Fight or wave a wee white flag ?  Oh, with a white poppy of course to give you favour with them.  Just fininishing a book about the Channel Islands during WW2 and the white flaggers were grassing up the resistance.  Heroes to you?  And please don't do what yon other guy you agree with and start mentioning what about Oman, Ireland etc.

8 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Sorry, if misquoted.  Where do you stand on fighting against hitler and any other agressor who would enslave us at best?  Fight or wave a wee white flag ?  Oh, with a white poppy of course to give you favour with them.  Just fininishing a book about the Channel Islands during WW2 and the white flaggers were grassing up the resistance.  Heroes to you?  And please don't do what yon other guy you agree with and start mentioning what about Oman, Ireland etc.

No worries re misquote. Maybe you should consider a career as a Sun reporter! As I understand it The Adolf Fellay saw Britain as potential allies - probably because of the large number of Nazis and the growing movement in  1930s Britain. Not to mention the nazi sympathisers within the Buckingham Palace residents of the time. I would have to consider my position against aggressor at time it arose and politics surrounding issues. I am not very good at fighting TBH. Used to be but I grew up. I suspect I could get even further up your nose with my views on the Islas Malvinas and possibly even the support I would give to an English independence movement ( independence from UK), but this is not the place. You already know my views on the white poppy. 

As a wee aside, I could not help thinking that, with your pen name, you might not have to go to war should it arise. Be needed in homeland to produce the grub.

Hopefully, we will be on same side on Friday night.

35 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

No worries re misquote. Maybe you should consider a career as a Sun reporter! As I understand it The Adolf Fellay saw Britain as potential allies - probably because of the large number of Nazis and the growing movement in  1930s Britain. Not to mention the nazi sympathisers within the Buckingham Palace residents of the time. I would have to consider my position against aggressor at time it arose and politics surrounding issues. I am not very good at fighting TBH. Used to be but I grew up. I suspect I could get even further up your nose with my views on the Islas Malvinas and possibly even the support I would give to an English independence movement ( independence from UK), but this is not the place. You already know my views on the white poppy. 

As a wee aside, I could not help thinking that, with your pen name, you might not have to go to war should it arise. Be needed in homeland to produce the grub.

Excellent post my friend.  You are right, things not always black and white.  We are on the same side on Friday and hopefully on the same now.  My grandad had the farm during ww2 and my other one was a miner.  So both got off!!  Good measured post.

4 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Excellent post my friend.  You are right, things not always black and white.  We are on the same side on Friday and hopefully on the same now.  My grandad had the farm during ww2 and my other one was a miner.  So both got off!!  Good measured post.

We'll stand together. Come on Scotland!!!!!

2 hours ago, Fermer said:

Excellent post

1 hour ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Very dignified response.