Question For The Jambos - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I've been saying that Hibs win there in May will never ever be topped and next time we win it will be good but it will never come close to feeling on 21/5/16

A few Hearts fans I know say that '98 beats 5-1 hands down because it had been that long since the last win

What's the Yams opinions on here

Nah, 5-1 easy. It's all very well beating Rangers even if they were playing at a lower level but nailing your city rivals in that fashion? we didn't just beat Hibs that day, we owned them. We never have to win the cup again. ;) 

5-1. Just.

Ever since the final whistle in the semi final the joy turned to panic. Panic that it seemed destiny that Hibs would end over 100 years of hurt in the final against Hearts. The bus home was a weird one after defeating Celtic. Joy at what we had just witnessed and fear at what may happen the next again month.

The month between the semi final and final was unbareable. Sleepless nights, weird dreams and every spare minute contemplating every single possible outcome in your head.

To lose to Hibs in a national final simply was not an option. Especially not the first in 100 years and likely to be the only one in our lifetime.

It was the biggest match any fan of either club will attend. Dress it up how you like but everyone knew that.

Hibs failed in their match build up by attempting mind games at every turn. Hearts stayed silent. Silent until Darren Barr opened the flood gates. To see the relief and unadultarated passion spilling from Hearts supporters that day coupled with the despair and dejection on the Hibs support was a memory that I will never let go. Both fans knew there was no recovery from a rival sense that day. It was over.

There'll be more matches, there'll be feuds, great games. But nothing will match that occasion.

I was 9 years old in 1998. I was there. I felt the importance but my dry run with no cup was 9 years - Not the 30+ of most fans there that day.

Do you know : Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian have met at Hampden twice in 10 years. With the score on aggregate being Heart of Midlothian 9-1 Hibernian.

Edited by KennyMiller
Wanted to add a little fact.

On 11/2/2016 at 11:56 AM, KennyMiller said:

Both fans knew there was no recovery from a rival sense that day. It was over.

aye pal, keep believing that. :wave:

Otherwise, can definitely understand why you would prefer to beat your bigger rivals ahead of your second team.

Was 2012 not important to Hearts fans not just because they`d won a cup they don`t often win and against local rivals but also because full extent of Romanov situation was starting to appear so fans would  have known that it could be the last ever trophy won by club? As it turned out, they avoided liquidation and could win the Scottish Cup again this season though I suppose many would prefer a League Cup win next season after so many years without winning it.

1998 for me. We hadn't won anything for decades, and went into the game as underdogs against a decent side that contained a number of genuinely good players. Having been through to Glasgow for a couple of games where we lost in the years preceding it, travelled more in hope than expectation. So to win was really special. 2012 was a stroll in the park against nothing very much, and the less said about the win against Gretna the better.

Edited by Pool Q

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:33 PM, Pool Q said:

1998 for me. We hadn't won anything for decades, and went into the game as underdogs against a decent side that contained a number of genuinely good players. Having been through to Glasgow for a couple of games where we lost in the years preceding it, travelled more in hope than expectation. So to win was really special. 2012 was a stroll in the park against nothing very much, and the less said about the win against Gretna the better.

1998 for me too, we went into the final on the back of a very good league season and we have a great team with a load of who had or would go onto represent Scotland - McPherson, Ritchie, Weir, Naysmith, Cameron, Robertson, McCann.

I was in my twenties and had never seen Hearts win anything before so that remains my favourite.

the 2012 game was more of a relief after a painful build up between the semi and the final although it does still kind of annoy me that we took our foot off the gas with half an hour to go.

I would imagine it would take something pretty special for Hibs to eclipse a last minute winner to beat rangers and end a 100 and odd year jinx.

On 11/6/2016 at 10:18 AM, Rossy said:

No.

Both our teams outspent, spent money we didn't have and had it written off after benefactors agreed to pay a lump sum up front to cut all ties. We both benefited from banks wanting to get out of football.

Hearts spent more of course but the same logic applies. That said, doesn't bother me and i celebrated both our wins in the past 20 years immensely. Funnily enough we won both in 1997 & 2012, both before and after the silly spending had started/stopped.

And before Ormond says Paul Wright scored in 97, he was paid out of the late, great Jim Moffat's personal chequiebook. Same with Colin McKee/Neil Whitworth when we paid Man Utd £500,000 for them in 1994.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

On 11/11/2016 at 8:40 PM, Batzek-osemba said:

Hearts of Midlothian Fans come across as a nice bunch of fans I ve to say. very humble and down to earth characters. not these megalomaniac cnvts you wouldve assume Sevco and NoVotingAberdeen. will spend my next holidays there

get yourself to a hearts v celtic game at the pink bus shelter

classy :ok: