All wear poppies at Wembley ? - Page 4 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

All wear poppies at Wembley ?

Magnum

I remember prior to the Dortmund game maybe 10 days or so before the referendum UEFA or FIFA warned the SFA that any political statements would be met with sanctions. There's was dozens of YES paraphanalia flying around inside the stadium

A game against Sweden(?) in the France '98 qualifiers it looked on TV like every Scotland fan in the stadium was kittedĀ out in SNP clobber waving posters and other tit-bits

The poppy in my view isn't political but the hypocrisy on here from folk claiming it is usually trot out 'no politics in football' and 'Poppy's aren't for sporting events' etc are quick enough to jump on a political bandwagon at games when it suits there own agenda

If you want to wear one wear one. If don't want to wear one don't wear one. If want to donate then donate

Edited by DoonTheSlope

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, michaelconroy said:

This hasĀ set a worrying precedent for the game throughout the world. Celtic done it when they defied UEFA by waving Palestinian flags and now FA & SFA are going to further deepen the problem. Now, there would beĀ nothing stopping other FAs around the world stating their political stances at international fixtures from now on. A hefty fine would be the "norm" for this type of rule breach but I can see this resulting in a points deduction.Ā Rules are there for a reason. To stop these things from happening. Otherwise, what would be the point in any rules at all? Why not just play the game without a ref too while we're at it? Few folk saying it doesn't matter what they do, whether they wear a poppy or not... well it does matter. We are told not to, therefore we shouldn't. I mean, this could end up seriously scuppering our massive chance to beat England and prolong our chance of qualification. Keep politics and football separate.

I agree with most of this but I have to laugh at the old chestnut that is the bit in bold. The whole notion of INTERNATIONAL football is political! The very fact that the United Kingdom has 4 teams rather than 1, particularly when other regions such as Catalonia aren't entitled to have their own team, is political.

Ā 

Ā 

I don't recall the SFA wanting your team to wear the poppy when we played ye in Celtic Park about this time of year two years ago. Is it simply because ye are playing England? I don't even recall seeing a single Scotland fan wearing one!

Hopefully the Welsh follow your lead in defying FIFA and getĀ a nice big points deduction.

4 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

Can you only honour people killed in war by wearing a plastic poppy on your top?Ā 

Wear it on your Glengarry if you want!

37 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

A game against Sweden(?) in the France '98 qualifiers it looked on TV like every Scotland fan in the stadium was kittedĀ out in SNP clobber waving posters and other tit-bits

It was the Gothenburg game in 1997, which was the night before the 1997 general election.Ā A mate of mine was behind that, or at least distributed the posters, they were those printed corrugated plastic things you see at demos. Ā  He's a long term SNP member from Edinburgh. Ā  In truth, there wasn't that many but they were situated prominently behind the goal.

I was talking to him about it aĀ year or so ago. Ā We'd come up to Gothenburg via Malmo and Copenhagen, this was in the days ofĀ Saturday night stays and before budget flights. Ā When he got to his hotel in Gothenburg and checked in, the receptionist said, "ah, Mr. XXX, we have a package for you".Ā 

He wasn't expecting anything, so was a bit surprised, but waiting for him was a big box of Vote SNP posters.Ā 

He hadn't arranged for them to be sent out and was pretty sure that while people in his branch knees he would be out for the game as it mean he wouldn't be able to do any canvassing, etc., he never mentioned where in Gothenburg he was staying.

To this day, he still hadĀ no idea who sent them to Gothenburg.Ā 

2 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Most decent folk just wear a poppy with a small donation to the appeal, and get on with it. Ā Thats how it should be an probably will be. Ā Negativity surrounding anything is always shouted louder within the media etc, but decency normally prevails.

Absolutely.

17 hours ago, Ormond said:

Because the SFA are a shower of spineless arseholes.

This should be left up to an individual's choice. I stand by anybody who wants to wear one for personal reasons and equally those who don't. This collective outrage nowadays is disgusting with the freedoms that World War heroes fought for.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. You say it's a matter of personal choice but FIFA are seeking to remove that right to choose and the sfa are quite rightly objecting. Nothing spineless about that.

Only person outraged here is you.

5 hours ago, shaddypeekey said:

Wear it on your Glengarry if you want!

A completely irrelevant answer. I'll try again...can you only remember war dead if you wear a poppy? If you don't does that mean you couldn't care less?

For your information I've never worn a Glengarry in my life. I've also not worn a poppy in about 5 years.

Edited by iainmac1

8 minutes ago, allycraig67 said:

Remember Croatia got deduction due to swastika on the pitch. Depends on which side of you war you fought on whether that's a political statement or notĀ 

Croatians fought alongside the Nazis in the war.

Ā 

8 minutes ago, allycraig67 said:

Remember Croatia got deduction due to swastika on the pitch. Depends on which side of you war you fought on whether that's a political statement or notĀ 

The laughable thing about that was it was supposed to be a protest against the Croatian FA comparing them to Nazis. Ā 

No idea if that's true, but only an idiot would think that would be how it would be perceived. Ā 

Not sure whether I'd rather be considered a nazi or a numbskull.

1 hour ago, iainmac1 said:

A completely irrelevant answer. I'll try again...can you only remember war dead if you wear a poppy? If you don't does that mean you couldn't care less?

For your information I've never worn a Glengarry in my life. I've also not worn a poppy in about 5 years.

Of course not. Nobody needs to wear an obvious symbol. My comment about the Glengarry (other military headgear is available) was just to highlight to the pseudo peaceniks amongst us that they might be being a little bit mixed up! I've never worn a Glengarry either. Both of us are too cool...

I will not be wearing a poppy because I jist dinny like wearing floourz, Ā 

I support Rangers, Ā I am a weegie, Ā I like whisky beer and fags, Ā 

I will be in Trafalger Square because I respect what people from my country did

I'm not going lookin for another square with a fountain and a pub Trafalger is scots against england history

trafalger is mine, ours and should be come the 11th,...

I want to pay my respects there and I will enjoy the day there also

I will not be wearing pink.....or a glengarry

I will wear a kilt but Nay glengarry for me

i'm no a soldier and dinny see the need to wear it as casual dress at a fitbaw match

and I'm no intay collecting wee badges and hivin big stupid feathers that poke peoples eyes oot on the plane

but who cares what I think.

everbody toĀ there ain

2 hours ago, bigfathagiz said:

I will not be wearing a poppy because I jist dinny like wearing floourz, Ā 

I support Rangers, Ā I am a weegie, Ā I like whisky beer and fags, Ā 

I will be in Trafalger Square because I respect what people from my country did

I'm not going lookin for another square with a fountain and a pub Trafalger is scots against england history

trafalger is mine, ours and should be come the 11th,...

I want to pay my respects there and I will enjoy the day there also

I will not be wearing pink.....or a glengarry

I will wear a kilt but Nay glengarry for me

i'm no a soldier and dinny see the need to wear it as casual dress at a fitbaw match

and I'm no intay collecting wee badges and hivin big stupid feathers that poke peoples eyes oot on the plane

but who cares what I think.

everbody toĀ there ain

Great post. Except the Rangers bit, I suppose you're still alright!

5 minutes ago, shaddypeekey said:

Great post. Except the Rangers bit, I suppose you're still alright!

canny help my glorious mighty glasgow rangers upbringing....but

If I was prime minister....which I'm not.............I would have said this. "If football players wish to respect their forefathers and mothers and relatives, friends etc who sacrificed their lives in the war then I am sure they could and will find a private moment to do so" does it really need to be at a football match? Surely it would be better to focus the mind on the reasons why we had so many die and pay our respects with a clear head and focus on that than do it at the beginning of a fitbaw game with 80.000 fans singing shyte at each other.........

23 minutes ago, TartanTon said:

just keep in mind after we are all done showing respect for the war dead we will each have a shot at singing anthems about crushing, fighting and dying to one another.

Ā 

Oh the irony

Ā 

Ā 

Ours is better. We can throw shit at them respectfully!