All wear poppies at Wembley ? - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

All wear poppies at Wembley ?

Magnum

What planet are FIFA on, when they will not accept that the wearing of a poppy on Armistice Day, is NOT a political statement !

Regardless of your feelings on war, whether it is glorious or futile, the wearing of the Poppy is simply a mark of respect for those that have lost their lives in armed conflict for the last 100 years or so.

I feel it would a 2 fingers up to the FIFA decision, if all the supporters, on both sides, were to wear a poppy, purely as a mark of respect ! Let's turn Wembley into a sea of red poppies, next Friday ?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Magnum said:

What planet are FIFA on, when they will not accept that the wearing of a poppy on Armistice Day, is NOT a political statement !

Regardless of your feelings on war, whether it is glorious or futile, the wearing of the Poppy is simply a mark of respect for those that have lost their lives in armed conflict for the last 100 years or so.

I feel it would a 2 fingers up to the FIFA decision, if all the supporters, on both sides, were to wear a poppy, purely as a mark of respect ! Let's turn Wembley into a sea of red poppies, next Friday ?

Seriously. Who actually gives a fvck. If you choose to wear one good for you,don't try and force it on everyone that chooses not to. 

You're post is exactly what you're moaning about,Fifa said no,you say yes. 

Just wear one for fvcks sake and don't try and force your beliefs down other people's throats. 

This place is going rapidly downhill with the same continuous pish being posted all over the place. 

Hate this poppy fascism that has developed over the past few years. I will happily respect anyone's decision to wear one. Please respect mine not to. I have relatives who served in different armies in more than one conflict. There are are no winners in wars, only losers. Mostly of lives on all sides. God rest their souls...    

Wearing a poppy should be an individual choice.   All this guff about poppies on football strips is a new invention and allows the tabloid press to fake outrage about lack of respect.  Everyone in TV has a poppy, probably stuck on them in makeup, so little individual choice (or contribution to charity).  

It's time to face up to the poppy police.

I always remember the poppy being about respecting those who fell in both world wars, Over the last few years its meaning hasn't changed and it has become political. I'm not sure why it's so important for it to be on the players shirts, what's wrong with everyone doing a minute silence and getting on with the game?

9 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Seriously. Who actually gives a fvck. If you choose to wear one good for you,don't try and force it on everyone that chooses not to. 

Just wear one for fvcks sake and don't try and force your beliefs down other people's throats. 

This place is going rapidly downhill with the same continuous pish being posted all over the place. 

Spot on.

Fcuk sake, does it really matter if the team wear poppies or not. If you want to wear a poppy then fair enough.

We are going to Wembley for our first competitive match in years lets stop the moaning about Poppies and Pink Shirts and just get behind the team.

Edited by podgers1903

Guest BlueGaz
6 minutes ago, podgers1903 said:

Fcuk sake, does it really matter if the team wear poppies or not. If you want to wear a poppy then fair enough.

You are right, 100%, but don't let it bother you.  If you skip past certain threads on here and you are not addicted to social media, its really not as big an issue as you think.

11 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Well said

3 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

You are right, 100%, but don't let it bother you.  If you skip past certain threads on here and you are not addicted to social media, its really not as big an issue as you think.

There was a 10 minute discussion on it on Sportsound last night. Today's Radio Scotland phone in was also all about this issue. 

It's completely bizarre to me that folk think football should be used as a front for commemoration. 

Guest BlueGaz
5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's completely bizarre to me that folk think football should be used as a front for commemoration. 

Unusually, I will admit, I totally agree with you.  But probably different to you, it doesn't bother me so much when they do.

Just now, BlueGaz said:

Unusually, I will admit, I totally agree with you.  But probably different to you, it doesn't bother me so much when they do.

Poppies on strips, collections at games and respectful silences - fine. 

Petitions to FIFA, wide scale media discussions on it, outrage from roasters on social media - not fine or respectful. 

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Poppies on strips, collections at games and respectful silences - fine. 

Petitions to FIFA, wide scale media discussions on it, outrage from roasters on social media - not fine or respectful. 

Fk, now I totally agree with you.

14 hours ago, Magnum said:

One the one hand you are saying its a mark of respect and on the other you are using it as a GIRFUY to FIFA.

Respect bruv.

3 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Just heard there that May suggests that FIFA "Jolly well sort their own house out". FFS.

If this goes ahead it will be a total britfest.

Did we honestly expect it was going to be anything else? I'm expecting Lancaster bombers to be dipping their wings into Trafalgar fountains to tunes of Rule Brittania blaring out from a stage with Katherine Jenkins naked apart from Yooonin' tatts covering her thruppeny bits.