Squad to play England - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad to play England

andyD

Just now, Manno said:

The boy at St Johnstone (Clark?) looks alright aswell. Like you said though, it doesn't really matter, no chance he'd play.

Along with this, I can't really understand why he's dropped McKay and Maloney from the squad. Okay neither were likely to start but Maloney's experience should have him ahead of Forrest.

Haven't seen Hibs this season but don't really agree with picking Championship players (and as a Rangers fan I never really wanted or expected Wallace to get a call up ahead of players playing at a higher level).

McCormack's goal record down south is probably similar to Chris Martin but Strachan obviously has a problem with him.

McKay has been rotten all season and is one of the main reasons Rangers have been so useless at creating chances.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Chesney TA said:

McKay has been rotten all season and is one of the main reasons Rangers have been so useless at creating chances.

6 minutes ago, Manno said:

Haven't seen Hibs this season but don't really agree with picking Championship players (and as a Rangers fan I never really wanted or expected Wallace to get a call up ahead of players playing at a higher level.

Completely irrelevant -Mcginn and these newbies are carrying that Scotland team and giving us some kind of hope.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Watching the video live on facebook, Strachan is a nippy wee cnt, less than 2 weeks to put up with him thankfully.

One right back is bizarre, especially considering the last squad had 3 left backs.

I wouldn't normally disagree, but I thought he came across ok in that wee video, although he wasn't asked many biting questions. (I.e. About the guys he keeps leaving out).

Is it just me that thinks we played well v Poland and were in essence seconds away from beating a very decent side, the team that night:

Marshall

Hutton

Martin

Hanley

Whittaker

Brown

Fletcher

Ritchie

Naismith

Forrest

Fletcher

Whittaker aside (as out injured) I see no reason why we cannot base our current starting line up on the above one, for me Hutton has rarely played badly for Scotland and despite people crying about his inclusion he has been a consistent performer at a high level all his days and I'm shocked he hasn't made the squad.

Naismith not firing on all cylinders but hasn't became a bad player overnight, the above team is as  about as strong and resilient as Scotland can be at the moment and would not shirk under the Wembley lights, the tinkering of the team this season given our performance via Poland that night is prob why we have struggled to get results imo.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Em whit ?

Marshall has started their last several league games. He was only dropped for a cup game.

And look at the results in games he played.  He's conceded 16 goals in last 5 games.

5-1 LIverpool

2-0 Chelsea

6-1 Bournemouth

2-0 Stoke

1-0 Watford

Not saying its entirely his fault but I'd rather have a keeper who is playing with confidence at the moment.

3 minutes ago, BMan said:

And look at the results in games he played.  He's conceded 16 goals in last 5 games.

5-1 LIverpool

2-0 Chelsea

6-1 Bournemouth

2-0 Stoke

1-0 Watford

Not saying its entirely his fault but I'd rather have a keeper who is playing with confidence at the moment.

And Craig Gordon played great for Scotland despite being at a Sunderland team that leaked goals almost every game and was usually battling relegation.

Was Marshall to blame to blame for every one of those goals going in ?

1 hour ago, Manno said:

Along with this, I can't really understand why he's dropped McKay and Maloney from the squad. Okay neither were likely to start but Maloney's experience should have him ahead of Forrest.

McKay's far from his best and not going to usurp Ritchie and Anya from the left wing spot.
Maloney has no pace and pace is something we're going to need against England. Forrest and Burke offer us that.

1 hour ago, Manno said:

Haven't seen Hibs this season but don't really agree with picking Championship players (and as a Rangers fan I never really wanted or expected Wallace to get a call up ahead of players playing at a higher level).

McGinn's performances when he's come on for Scotland have certainly not been what you'd expect of someone playing at that level. He's been confident, assured, busy and found a few really good passes in the little time he's had. He looks like the future of our central midfield for sure, and I'm a bit surprised he's still at Hibs.

1 hour ago, Manno said:

McCormack's goal record down south is probably similar to Chris Martin but Strachan obviously has a problem with him.

McCormack's goal record is pretty abysmal compared to Martin's.. McCormack's record is on a par with Hanley's to give you an idea of how things are going for him this season. McCormack's lack of game and lack of goals mean that it doesn't really matter if there's a problem between him and Strachan, he doesn't deserve a place in the squad right now.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Easy. He literally said he wasn't to blame for them all.

His point's fair tho.. when you have two guys of very similar ability, I'd take a confident keeper who's piling up clean sheets vs one who's getting wrecked every week. His confidence will help the whole back line.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

And Craig Gordon played great for Scotland despite being at a Sunderland team that leaked goals almost every game and was usually battling relegation.

I personally think Gordon is a better keeper than Marshall ignoring club results.

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

A guy that's played 8 games for Swansea at left back?

Yeah he has played well for Swansea this season at a far higher level than Wallace in games saw him and he is a far better defender than Wallace in my opinion.  If he is old enough to be in the squad he is good enough to play.  Had a great game against Chelsea earlier in the season and was solid. 

1 minute ago, Larky Masher said:

There is some conflicting data so it's between 8 and 10 games he's played and loans at Crewe and Yeovil don't set you up for international football.

He's played 7 games this season, 6 in the league, one in the cup. 90 minutes in all of them bar one where he came off injured at half time.
Played 4 others full games last season, including wins over arsenal and west ham and a 1-1 with man city. Aslo played half an hour in the cup.
Throw in 20+ appearances in League one and the 100+ for Falkirk.

So for me he's way ahead of Lee Wallace in both quality and experience.. Kingsley's been playing better and at a higher level than Wallace for the last 4 seasons, with this season being the 5th where that'll be the case.

10 minutes ago, KennyMiller said:

Gordon for me.

Has more experience of happy times in a Scotland top.

Confidence is key. The english are low on it as well.

He's by far and away the best keeper we have. 

4 minutes ago, KennyMiller said:

Gordon for me.

Has more experience of happy times in a Scotland top.

Confidence is key. The english are low on it as well.

I was just saying the exact same thing.  Gordon has put a calmness through our defence over the years.  Something I have failed to witness with Marshall.  Even many years ago when we was on the back end of hidings from the likes of Hungary, Sweden, Norway, Wales.

5 clean sheets in 25 games.

I can't recall many heavy defeats for Scotland when Gordon was between the sticks.

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

No Armstrong, Bardsley, Phillips, Hutton, Dorrans or Douglas in squad

Where Morrison, Wallace, Anya, Paterson, Bannan & Kingsley are in squad who either aren’t playing or playing at a lower level?

Is Rab still playing?

2 minutes ago, Geed said:

Yeah he has played well for Swansea this season at a far higher level than Wallace in games saw him and he is a far better defender than Wallace in my opinion.  If he is old enough to be in the squad he is good enough to play.  Had a great game against Chelsea earlier in the season and was solid. 

Around 10 games in two season is a very small sample and Swansea have let in 7 goals in 6 league games (including 2 against Chelsea) he's played.