Scotrail - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Agreed, the service certainly has got worse since Abelio took over. The amount of times, trains are cancelled or skip stops due to backlog is ridiculous and sending a 3 carriage train for the rush hour Queen Street to Balloch is terrible.

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for Network Rail / Scotrail as they get punished for things out of their hands ie. train delays due to tresspassers on the line. As one of my colleagues says "You can't legislate for idiots".

Yet more signal problems at Central this evening - due to the cancellation of the 17.20 to EK my usual 17.33 to Busby had subcontinent levels of overcrowding. 

I know signalling falls within Network Rail's remit but as they're now in an 'alliance' with Scotrail I'll apportion at least some blame to Abellio. 

Edited by Regenmann

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

But then you'd need to live in Johnstone.....:wink2:

Lifes a compromise my friend . I live in Bridge of Weir which is quite nice , despite the alarmingly high number of Rangers supporters in the area. Thats my compromise ?

Annual season ticket holder and only experience delayed by more than 15 mins once per week at most . I would bet drivers experience similar delays with similar frequency . People love a moan at the railway , it is what it is.

Would rather do my hour train than drive.  It allows me to do what I'm doing right now , moan on the web . 

It's no surprise.

Abellio took over the National Express Greater Anglia service out of Liverpool Street a few years back and achieved the virtually impossible by making a dreadful service even worse.

Screwing up already poor Scotrail services seems a logical next step really.

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Lifes a compromise my friend . I live in Bridge of Weir which is quite nice , despite the alarmingly high number of Rangers supporters in the area. Thats my compromise ?

That's definitely the posher end of the Johnstone area.  Well, that and Linwood.....

18 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

"Quite" nice. Yes.

As "schemes" go.

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Ha!  We'd have killed for a scheme like BOW growing up in Linwood in the 80s and 90s!!  

I was brought up in Foxbar , had to pass a government exam to gain entry to BOW. Scraped in by the skin of my teeth, I bribed a Rangers supporter ? 

Met my husband in the Clippens Inn. Linwood has a lot to answer for. 

I am not on their trains enough, but really can't complain personally. Must have been on time-ish. Whilst not the cleanest or newest - they've most of the time got me there.

And reasonably cheap. 11 quid from Glasgow to Dundee is fantastic.

Although I can understand the frustrations of daily use. Their PR is pretty non-existent was stuck outside Dundee - as some branches had fallen on the track, and was simply told the train was cancelled. Nothing about a replacement bus services or if tickets would be refunded - lots of head scratching dinnae ken going on. No one was blaming any staff member, but surely someone at the top could've made some form of an announcement about what was planned next and not just basically 'get off the train'.

On 2/11/2016 at 7:07 PM, Coldo said:

Agreed, the service certainly has got worse since Abelio took over. The amount of times, trains are cancelled or skip stops due to backlog is ridiculous and sending a 3 carriage train for the rush hour Queen Street to Balloch is terrible.

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for Network Rail / Scotrail as they get punished for things out of their hands ie. train delays due to tresspassers on the line. As one of my colleagues says "You can't legislate for idiots".

Changing thread a bit but I was on an Edinburgh to London in August which left Waverley on time but then stopped just before Berwick for about two hours because of "trespassers" on the bridge at Berwick. Apparently in Berwick this means people threatening to jump off bridge and police and coastguards were called before we were allowed to move into Berwick station and then cross the bridge. Service after was superb with staff phoning ahead, booking hotels in London etc.