Top 5 Pubs You've Been In - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Top 5 Pubs You've Been In

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Will be in Sheffield on Friday for the football. Do you have a couple of recommendations for where to go to watch it? Will be near the ice rink, but not bothered if we have to get a taxi.

While dieselarmy's right about Sheffield - best city for decent pubs I know - the area around the ice rink is a bit dire. Best would be the Wentworth House Hotel, but you might want to ring to check they'd be showing the game. Others close by would be Arena Square, Noose & Gibbet (I know...) and the Carbrook. I'd imagine they'd all be showing it, but wouldn't be my first choice as pubs qua pubs (though the Carbrook has an interesting paneled room - Jacobean or summat.

18 hours ago, Charlie Endell said:

Called into the Guildford on Saturday evening - we got talking to a Canadian tourist - as he was on his Robert Todd we bought him a drink in our round - when the barman found out one of the drinks was for him they were taken back and poured down the sink - apparently he was intoxicated (although he seemed fine to the three of us - perfectly lucid in fact) - a great advert for Visit Scotland. Cafe Royal has now been upgraded to my Waverley pit stop of choice and a sine die ban has been imposed on the Guildford.

Any time Ive been in there recently the beer has been poor quality (but expensive) and the staff as bad as the bawbag you describe above.

Shame as it used to be an essential stop.

The best place for a pint of decent ale near the station is probably the Wetherspoons :ph34r: upstairs where Jimmy Chungs used to be 

11 minutes ago, virus-with-shoes said:

Any time Ive been in there recently the beer has been poor quality (but expensive) and the staff as bad as the bawbag you describe above.

Shame as it used to be an essential stop.

The best place for a pint of decent ale near the station is probably the Wetherspoons :ph34r: upstairs where Jimmy Chungs used to be 

The Doric is normally pretty decent.

23 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

While dieselarmy's right about Sheffield - best city for decent pubs I know - the area around the ice rink is a bit dire. Best would be the Wentworth House Hotel, but you might want to ring to check they'd be showing the game. Others close by would be Arena Square, Noose & Gibbet (I know...) and the Carbrook. I'd imagine they'd all be showing it, but wouldn't be my first choice as pubs qua pubs (though the Carbrook has an interesting paneled room - Jacobean or summat.

Thanks, Donny, we're heading to the Wentworth. They have it on the tv.