Andy Murray No. 1 / Chant or Song - Page 3 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andy Murray No. 1 / Chant or Song

WeeJohnny

Heaven forbid that we should sing a wee song about a #1 Scottish sportman to wind up the opposition fans in a bit of light hearted banter......................for the TAMB to try to analyse, debate, negotiate and basically come up with rules on what can and cannot be sung.

Get a grip, you're all thinking about it too much!

Something simple like "We've got the best tennis players, in the world"..........remember to throw in Jamie as well as Andy.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

Sing about a bloke who has not lived in Scotland since he was 14.....Why dont we also sing a song about Chris Hoy. At least he lives here and what about Ricky Burns.....Or we could just forget all that crap and concentrate on backing the players on the night

Agree

On 11/6/2016 at 0:07 AM, DoonTheSlope said:

Politics has no place in sport. This is purely from a Sporting point of view, as it happens he could have telt team gb to GTF!

It's international football. Politics is intrinsically linked.  

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I want Europe to win the Ryder cup. 

Nice to see you to lower yourself to personal insults because someone has a different opinion to you. 

You sound like a top class guy. 

exactly ! take the moral highground if you like but if you dont like andy murray when he plays for team gb why want scots to do well in team europe? did you want chris hoy and all other scots to do well at olympics? If you are that narrow minded  then enjoy yourself and crack on. I stand by my assumption.

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

exactly ! take the moral highground if you like but if you dont like andy murray when he plays for team gb why want scots to do well in team europe? did you want chris hoy and all other scots to do well at olympics? If you are that narrow minded  then enjoy yourself and crack on. I stand by my assumption.

How many scots were in team Europe at the Ryder cup this year,just out of interest?

Once you get your head out of your aree and find out the answer,I'll accept your apology  

I don't give a flying fvck about the olympics,never watch it,never will.

May catch a glance if there's nothing else on,but that's it. 

Im glad you stand by your assumption,I wouldn't want you changing it. 

Incidentally,how did the passionate Scotsman Andy Murray get on at the 2010 commonwealth games?

Edited by dandydunn

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

How many scots were in team Europe at the Ryder cup this year,just out of interest?

Once you get your head out of your aree and find out the answer,I'll accept your apology  

I don't give a flying fvck about the olympics,never watch it,never will.

May catch a glance if there's nothing else on,but that's it. 

Im glad you stand by your assumption,I wouldn't want you changing it. 

Incidentally,how did the passionate Scotsman Andy Murray get on at the 2010 commonwealth games?

for someone that doesnt care about olympics  you seem to know about the commonwealth games which seems strange.

I know there were no scots playing at this year ryder cup but there were 2 scots vice captains which i presume you are aware of. one an aberdeen fan.

to finish i will say that if there is anyone in Scotland who does not wish Andy Murray well or who thinks he is not or should be an inspiration to the kids of today then in my opinion they dont know much about sport in general. This mans face should be all over our big cities trying to inspire our kids. How we have people running him down is unbelievable. Maybe explains why our football and rugby teams have been pish for as long when the apathy for a World number 1 at a big sport is there.

7 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

to finish i will say that if there is anyone in Scotland who does not wish Andy Murray well or who thinks he is not or should be an inspiration to the kids of today then in my opinion they dont know much about sport in general. This mans face should be all over our big cities trying to inspire our kids. How we have people running him down is unbelievable. Maybe explains why our football and rugby teams have been pish for as long when the apathy for a World number 1 at a big sport is there.

Totally agree !

I see he's got a ticket for the game and will be there.

11 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Couldn't agree more. Folk who give him stick for competing under the only flag he is able to need to get a grip. Especially when he has openly said he would have voted for independence. 

Andy Murray is probably the greatest Scottish sportsman there has ever been. He's competed with 3 of the finest tennis players in history and through a mix of immense talent, determination to succeed and an incredible work rate, he's won 3 major titles, the Olympics, the Davis Cup, 14 Masters titles (the 9th most in history) and has inspired so many kids to play tennis. Allied to that he seems a genuinely decent bloke, articulate on many subjects (whether it be doping in sport or constitutional politics), a fine team mate and despite bursting on the scene at about 17 and having to deal with a lot of stick (after saying he wanted England to lose at football...) he's someone who's got his head firmly screwed on. 

He's my sporting hero, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm sure he is for so many folk in this country. A guy who comes from just 15 miles away from me is the best in the world at one of the world's biggest and most popular sports, how cool is that?!?! :)

16 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

for someone that doesnt care about olympics  you seem to know about the commonwealth games which seems strange.

I know there were no scots playing at this year ryder cup but there were 2 scots vice captains which i presume you are aware of. one an aberdeen fan.

I used this amazing thing called google,looks like he couldn't be arsed representing his country,seems happy enough to be in team gb though. 

I'm well aware there were 2 scots as vice captains,one supported Aberdeen and another Aberdeen supporter missed out with a wildcard,however I don't watch golf to see how the vice captain is getting on. 

Who said he shouldn't be applauded for his achievements,I didn't. I did say it's ridiculous to do it at a football match though,but if you're happy to make things up to suit your agenda,please fire away. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Couldn't agree more. Folk who give him stick for competing under the only flag he is able to need to get a grip. Especially when he has openly said he would have voted for independence. 

Again,commonwealth games 2010,why didn't he compete for his nation?

Its not a dig at anyone,it's a genuine question,there certainly didn't seem like any sign of injuries from what I've found. 

Or could he just not be arsed?

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I used this amazing thing called google,looks like he couldn't be arsed representing his country,seems happy enough to be in team gb though. 

I'm well aware there were 2 scots as vice captains,one supported Aberdeen and another Aberdeen supporter missed out with a wildcard,however I don't watch golf to see how the vice captain is getting on. 

Who said he shouldn't be applauded for his achievements,I didn't. I did say it's ridiculous to do it at a football match though,but if you're happy to make things up to suit your agenda,please fire away. 

Its not a dig at anyone,it's a genuine question,there certainly didn't seem like any sign of injuries from what I've found. 

i dont know the reason for that but i would imagine it wasnt in his list of priorities. same as alex ferguson not taking on the scotland job over the years but ill bet you wouldnt slag him for that! people have been going to football matches and singing about lots of things other than football for years its about celebrating where your from and all the good things that are where your from and all the things to slag your opponents. football is tribal and maybe if we had loads to sing about football wise (if wed won a world cup for instance) then this subject wouldnt be getting discussed. i cant be arsed looking through all your posts but im sure you would like to sing about independence and the referendum etc etc but what has that got to do with football? the answer is nothing but its about who we are and I rest my case.

9 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Because it's not a proper tennis event and the dates clashed directly with a Masters 1000 event, i'd imagine. You should look at the names who actually did compete, i can't identify one recognizable singles player, it's mostly doubles players playing in the singles (Jamie Murray and Colin Fleming both competed in singles for example). It was a nothing event that was so poorly received by players that it was immediately dropped from the Games. 

But maybe you're right. Maybe the guy who's played 80+ matches this year and spends his winters and Christmases training in Miami could "just not be arsed". :lol: 

I'm sorry but if your argument about the Commonwealth Games is deeply flawed. 

22 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Andy Murray is probably the greatest Scottish sportsman there has ever been. He's competed with 3 of the finest tennis players in history and through a mix of immense talent, determination to succeed and an incredible work rate, he's won 3 major titles, the Olympics, the Davis Cup, 14 Masters titles (the 9th most in history) and has inspired so many kids to play tennis. Allied to that he seems a genuinely decent bloke, articulate on many subjects (whether it be doping in sport or constitutional politics), a fine team mate and despite bursting on the scene at about 17 and having to deal with a lot of stick (after saying he wanted England to lose at football...) he's someone who's got his head firmly screwed on. 

He's my sporting hero, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm sure he is for so many folk in this country. A guy who comes from just 15 miles away from me is the best in the world at one of the world's biggest and most popular sports, how cool is that?!?! :)

Totally agree. Some of the comments on here are beyond belief.

8 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

i dont know the reason for that but i would imagine it wasnt in his list of priorities. same as alex ferguson not taking on the scotland job over the years but ill bet you wouldnt slag him for that! people have been going to football matches and singing about lots of things other than football for years its about celebrating where your from and all the good things that are where your from and all the things to slag your opponents. football is tribal and maybe if we had loads to sing about football wise (if wed won a world cup for instance) then this subject wouldnt be getting discussed. i cant be arsed looking through all your posts but im sure you would like to sing about independence and the referendum etc etc but what has that got to do with football? the answer is nothing but its about who we are and I rest my case.

Just keep judging my friend. 

I have absolutely no reason nor want to sing about politics at football. 

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Because it's not a proper tennis event and the dates clashed directly with a Masters 1000 event, i'd imagine. You should look at the names who actually did compete, i can't identify one recognizable singles player, it's mostly doubles players playing in the singles (Jamie Murray and Colin Fleming both competed in singles for example). It was a nothing event that was so poorly received by players that it was immediately dropped from the Games. 

But maybe you're right. Maybe the guy who's played 80+ matches this year and spends his winters and Christmases training in Miami could "just not be arsed". :lol: 

I'm sorry but if your argument about the Commonwealth Games is deeply flawed. 

You said "the only flag he can compete under"

Its not,he could compete under the St. Andrew's Cross,he chose not to. 

18 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

You said "the only flag he can compete under"

Its not,he could compete under the St. Andrew's Cross,he chose not to. 

:lol: You've actually not even got a logical argument. 

I'm organising a tennis event next week, called the World Cup of Tennis. I'll invite Andy to compete under the Scottish banner, if he doesn't turn up then he's betraying Scotland. Who cares if it clashes with an actual meaningful tennis tournament... 

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm  going to take a wild stab in the dark here and suggest you're no the sharpest tool in the shed.

Whys that then?

Ive said he can compete for Scotland,it seems that because it isn't a major tournament,he's allowed to not represent his country of birth. 

I would be all for representing my country,clearly people disagree,that's cool with me,that's what a forum is all about. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'd suggest he's saying that because your argument isn't logical or reasoned. 

Another deflection away from my question. 

Once more then. 

Did Andy Murray have a chance to represent Scotland and choose not to?

A yes or no will suffice.