Have to confess - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Have to confess

Ally Bongo

It used to mean everything to me

First memories was the 5-1 humping in 1975 at Wembley and the hopeless ugly Stewart Kennedy with that ridiculous hair weave wrapping himself round the goalpost.

I was going to go into a long diatribe about all my memories of the annual fixtures thereafter but to cut it short that was all that mattered.

The chance to pump England but always having the fear as the perennial underdog

Anyway all those years of not being able to wait for the next England game and experiencing it for myself i now find myself of being unable to muster any excitement at the prospect of it

Maybe that will change before Friday but being honest i cant see it

In years gone by i have had the fear of us being gubbed but still got myself into a frenzy of optimism before the game so it's not all to do with that

I just think you get to an age when they finally break you 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

First memories was the 5-1 humping in 1975 at Wembley and the hopeless ugly Stewart Kennedy with that ridiculous hair weave wrapping himself round the goalpost.

I was going to go into a long diatribe about all my memories of the annual fixtures thereafter but to cut it short that was all that mattered.

Anyway all those years of not being able to wait for the next England game and experiencing it for myself i now find myself of being unable to muster any excitement at the prospect of it

In years gone by i have had the fear of us being gubbed but still got myself into a frenzy of optimism before the game so it's not all to do with that

Yep im the same mate,my 1st game v them was 1985 at hampden in pishing rain,i was 13 and still tell my boys about it.took them 2 years ago at celtic park they were 13,9 and i and them were so excited but the game and atmosphere was crap. think the last few games have nearly finished us all. 

BUT I WILL STILL BE GETTING WORKED UP COME FRIDAY NO DOUBT

CMON SCOTLAND GETINTAETHUM!,!!!

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Scotland around 9/1 - must be the longest odds ever. 

I was thinking that this must be the worst Scotland-England mismatch ever, so had a dig about.   For the 2013 2-3 friendly we were further apart in ratings & rankings, but bookies had us at 15/2.

We had just won in Zagreb however, and starting Strachan's good spell.

The long odds are no surprise.  England aren't in a good place at the moment but we're in terrible one.  If England put their minds to it they could really turn us over on Friday.  To be honest, I'd be happy with anything other than a heavy defeat.

17 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agree with what you say. 

I'd normally never buzzing for this game, doing whatever I could to get a ticket, but it's hard to put my finger on it, but, all I can say is, it's gone. The enthusiasm, the interest, the excitement, everything. 

I will watch the game but won't be sat on the edge of my seat, belting the anthem out, and getting excited.

19 minutes ago, simonmk said:

Agree with what you say. 

I'd normally never buzzing for this game, doing whatever I could to get a ticket, but it's hard to put my finger on it, but, all I can say is, it's gone. The enthusiasm, the interest, the excitement, everything. 

I will watch the game but won't be sat on the edge of my seat, belting the anthem out, and getting excited.

Totally

36 minutes ago, simonmk said:

Agree with what you say. 

This

We've been here many times before, comrades. This one is about turning up, fans and players. We support our team and they play for us and give their all. That is all I expect. We were probably about 12/1 against at Bannockburn in 1314 and we won that one or so the story goes. I would be thoroughly alarmed if we were favourites (as if) . 

We we just go down there and belt out the songs (hopefully some new ones) and, you never know, it could be a Craven Cottage-esque, Gordon Strachan's Tartan Army rendition to close.

Just Phecking TURN UP!!!!!!!!

Listened to Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen on Sportsound yesterday.  They said when they were walking out the tunnel in 77 all they could see and hear was a wall of noise and colour from the Scotland fans.  They could see in the faces of the England team that they were lost.  Sadly, no longer the case.  I listened to the Celtic game yesterday and the fact that the commentary team and myself were worried that Scott Brown might not make it says it all.  But anyway, pinning my hopes that when we are down we seem to pull off better results. 

26 minutes ago, Fermer said:

Listened to Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen on Sportsound yesterday.  They said when they were walking out the tunnel in 77 all they could see and hear was a wall of noise and colour from the Scotland fans.  They could see in the faces of the England team that they were lost.  Sadly, no longer the case.  I listened to the Celtic game yesterday and the fact that the commentary team and myself were worried that Scott Brown might not make it says it all.  But anyway, pinning my hopes that when we are down we seem to pull off better results

I would normally feel like that too but the way we crumbled to a ( very poor) Slovakian side really frightens me. If they get an early goal it could be an embarrssing scoreline. 

The recent friendlies against England have also taken away a bit of the excitement for me.  First one was fantastic  and we gave a great performance. Didnt feel so excited about the return match at Hampden though.  Perhaps because it was pretty meaningless, a midweek night and off the back of a more important win against Ireland. 

I feel more excited about going to see Les Mis on Thursday night☹️

39 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I would normally feel like that too but the way we crumbled to a ( very poor) Slovakian side really frightens me. If they get an early goal it could be an embarrssing scoreline. 

The recent friendlies against England have also taken away a bit of the excitement for me.  First one was fantastic  and we gave a great performance. Didnt feel so excited about the return match at Hampden though.  Perhaps because it was pretty meaningless, a midweek night and off the back of a more important win against Ireland. 

I feel more excited about going to see Les Mis on Thursday night☹️

FFS!!! Mon tae f**k!  We need all the help we can get. Nobody is going to put their arm around you and tell you everything is going to be all right. Just get behind the team and support them. I thought I was a negative c**t, but this is ridiculous. You are Scottish, something to be proud of. this is England, Wembley, World Cup qualifier. Just go and get behind the team. Win, lose or draw, support the team and your country.