Pure And Simple - Utter Scum! - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pure And Simple - Utter Scum!

Nice try. I am taking your rather weird logic to the extreme. Rangers Football Club are not responsible for what happened in the Square the other night. As individuals we can condemn the morons but that is not what is going on. I have seen photos doing the rounds on twitter showing the carnage from the other nIght. Guess what? They where photos from the London riots a few years ago. Society needs to deal with the criminality of our citizens.

I clearly stated 'rangers werent responsible'. Making up stuff to desperately defend your club isnt a good look. My issue is the apparent refusal to be part of a solution.

Plenty clubs have issued statements after much less serious incidents where people have been wearing their colours. Why not yours?

And are you really saying photos from george square on twitter were of the london riots? Deary me.

Edited by big_matt

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.. Unless any citizen committing a civil crime wearing a football top is worthy of a club statement. There would be lots of club statements.

You are either a very good troll or a horrible horrible person. Either way you are very provocative on here and know exactly what you are doing.either way we don't need you trying to get a reaction when the !majority of the board is hurting big time. Please go away.

Edward stark you are so in denial of what happened on Friday night I'm cringing reading your post firstly it was not a single football top it was mob hatred in rangers colours and this was happening In Georges square and not London you are totally deluded this is not for discussion this is a statement good bye

Anyone that doesn't think rangers could do more to stamp out sectarianism is in denial. Rangers

( and Celtic to a lesser degree ) have fed off this for years and without the sectarianism would be nowhere near as big as they are. Many rangers fans ( if not the majority then certainly a big minority) are still of the mindset of their forefathers. Rangers , on the face if it have are doing something about it but the reality is, if they eradicated it totally they would hurt their own finances. The songs of hate whilst not as widely sung in the grounds are still sung on the buses and in the pubs the fans use.

The only positive I can see is many Rangers fans utter contempt for the lowlife that associate themselves with their club, and some even binning their long term affiliation to the club that thrive on the hatred these "people" spew.

These are morally good guys and deserve a lot of respect.

There has never in my lifetime been a line between supporting Rangers and certain politics. They are inseparable which is essentially the problem IMO.

Almost every other team in Scotland can manage the distinction...

This is the first of only two posts I am going to make today. There was only going to be one, but after the events of last night I felt compelled to make this one.

I have quite simply had it with the vile scum that is Rangers FC. Absolutely everything from cheating conniving top, to knuckle dragging bottom. The sight of their disgusting so called followers last night had me close to tears on a day when I already felt like my guts had been ripped out. Christ, not even the rarity of my team scoring a last kick winner could bring even a smile to my face.

And incidentally, please don't anyone try to suggest that last nights morons were anything other than 100% Rangers fans.

Never before have I felt such hatred towards an institution or its followers. As a football fan, I was actually glad when Rangers didn''t go out of business because I thought I didn't want that for any club. I was wrong. Football and Scotland would be better off without this poison. I simply cannot put into words, the contempt that I hold these sub humans in.

I accept I'm no stranger to anti Rangers sentiment and this is the point in a thread I'd normally be excluding our Rangers supporting friends on here. The likes of Tartan Teddy, Wolfie, Nelbo, Fairbairn, Mitre etc etc but I'm sorry guys. I've come to the conclusion that every time you silently plank your arses in that theatre of hatred without protest or demonstration, then you are effectively complicit. An apologist. A silent supporter of this behaviour. How any right thinking Rangers fan (if such a thing even exists) can watch the scenes of last night and still associate themselves with that shameful institution is beyond me.

Also just in case the mods are in any doubt, this post is deliberately in Anything Goes because it is nothing to do with football.

I expect this to be a very unpopular posts, but I simply had to get this off my chest.

Outstanding post. Agree with every word.

The "loyalists" have made it into the consciousness of an independent media guy i listen to from Japan. I watched it unfold live at the time from RT's camera, it was a violent mob of rangers fans or folk dressed up as Rangers fans, maybe timposters or chelsea.

Pro-Union Fascists they're being described as elsewhere.

However with that being said there was a tonne of teenagers and opportunists as well. I noticed how young many of the large groups were when they camera operator zoomed in. It was a total mob though.

Rangers using one-upmanship against the other mob across the city and making political capital out of our Armed Forces is as contemptible and cringeworthy as the Telegraph's main leader last Sunday using dead Scottish soldiers as a form of emotional blackmail. Completely appeasing the lowest common denominator.

Might as well go the whole hog and have Celtic invite a marchpast of the band of the Real IRA down Kerrydale Street.

It's up to all of us in future to prevent Scottish kids being drawn into the "Orange culture" and hate, fear, suspicion, royal worship and ethnic supremacy.

Likewise anyone who isn't part of the OO but all the same still thinks that their marches are "just good fun" or a "part of Scottish cultural life" are just as bad.

George Square Trouble: The night our readers became reporters

By Neil MacKay

Sunday 21 September 2014

You are the reporters, Sunday Herald readers. Throughout the weekend, your tweets, retweets, Facebook posts, YouTube videos and emails were invaluable to us trying to piece together what was happening throughout Glasgow as loyalist trouble flared in George Square.

1411314286-211.jpg

We had three reporting staff in the square, along with two photographers. After we began posting live images of loyalists giving Nazi salutes and taunting and jeering a much smaller and more peaceful group of Yes supporters, you more or less took over. You sent our images around the country, and you emailed our news desk and reporters with information on where loyalist gangs were moving in the city and what they were doing.

You sent us images and footage of them fighting, terrorising ordinary people and spreading disorder in a city which until Friday night had been a carnival of fun and hope, not a carnival of hate.

Where throughout the week students, office staff on their lunch breaks, and families had sung Caledonia and Labi Siffri's Something Inside So Strong in George Square, by Friday night the songs had become chants - including "You had your chance and you f***** it up" - screamed with menace and hate, and interposed with singing of Rule Britannia. The heart of Glasgow had gone from Woodstock to Belfast in the space of just one day.

And you told us what you thought of this. This was the dark face of Unionism, you said again and again in messages on social media. This was Scotland's shame. This disgusted and repelled you. You - the 45% - responded to our requests for information by liaising with each other online and getting the information to us when you could.

And then you decided to act not just as reporters but as investigative reporters. We had heard that the loyalist violence was being co-ordinated online by a hardline group with connections to Northern Ireland. So, we used social media to ask you to help us find out if this was true - there was too much chatter and activity online for any one news desk to check every lead - and you helped us.

The entire loyalist demonstration had indeed been orchestrated online, it turned out. You sent us the online poster headed "Scotland Said No" asking for demonstrators to come to the city centre at 6pm. The poster was circulated widely by Britain First, the far-right party set up by ex-BNP members, which has a strong following in Northern Ireland and the west of Scotland.

Then you sent us Facebook postings from ordinary Rangers fans, horrified at what their fellow fans were planning. One read: "I am a Rangers supporter. The Rangers pages have been drumming up support to riot at George Square all day. It's disgusting. I am ashamed

of them."

Then you sent us the social media exchanges of various loyalists you had been monitoring online. One read: "Glasgow riots were crazy, absolutely brilliant buzz. Rule Britannia!"

Others talked of going out "slashing c**ts" and wanting "to go to George Square and stab a couple of pencilcases" (slang for students). Another read: "I stabbed a c**t n

I liked it". One post from a Rangers supporters' club called on members to gather at "17.00 on the street behind the Louden [bar] and the Bristol Bar on Duke Street". It went on to give a "map route … to all cars", and instructed followers to go to "George Sq for a party".

You then identified to us a group of Rangers football fans called the "Vanguard Bears" as being the organisation most involved in the "aggro", as people dubbed the violence online. By Saturday morning, multiple sources were confirming that the Vanguard Bears were the main instigators.

Last year, Police Scotland said it had received complaints of a "death list" posted online by the Vanguard Bears of individuals its sees as being opposed to the club.

The Vanguard Bears, which has close links with loyalist groups in Belfast, posted an image showing journalists, politicians and people involved in football, including the face of late QC Paul McBride - a prominent Celtic supporter and friend of Neil Lennon.

The Progressive Unionist Party - a Northern Ireland political party affiliated with the loyalist paramilitary group the Ulster Volunteer Force - also met with the Vanguard Bears supporters group last year to discuss opposition to the independence referendum.

On Thursday, the day of the referendum, the Bears group posted an image of Britannia alongside images of Alex Salmond's head on a spike and the severed head of Nicola Sturgeon. Yesterday it posted a statement online reading: "Our voice is on the rise, we must by actions, not words or political soundbites, ensure our Union is defended."

As Friday night wore on into the early hours of Saturday, you, our readers, were even able to keep our reporting staff out on the streets informed about events at our offices. Two men started a fire by the generator which powers the offices of Sunday Herald, The Herald and the Evening Times. Soon you were tweeting images of the fire and asking if we were all OK. We were - though we were out of action until early yesterday afternoon because of the power outage caused by the fire. Police are now investigating.

You also retweeted the numerous threats and vile verbal attacks made to our members of staff in order to name and shame the loyalists trolling them online. Your support was much appreciated. On you went, overnight and into yesterday, thousands and thousands of tip-offs, leads, pictures, videos, screen grabs and support. You became an integral part of the newspaper.

During the independence campaign, we tried our very hardest to give you the voice in the media you wanted and no-one else was giving you, and you repaid us over the weekend by becoming our eyes and ears - and joining in and becoming a part of the voice of the Sunday Herald. And for that, we thank you from the very bottom of our hearts.