Michelle Thomson - Edinburgh West Mp - Property Scandal - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michelle Thomson - Edinburgh West Mp - Property Scandal

Despite standing on an anti-austerity platform and advertising themselves as a breath of fresh air against established Westminster parties and policies, I see the SNP MPs have elected to take the increase in salary rather than collectively redivert it to say, a host of food banks. There is the provision for it to her diverted at source but not one MP has done this - if the SNP had done this collectively I feel it would have sent a clear message. The fact they haven't suggests that the group of SNP MPs are largely no different to the "establishment" MPs.

The standard response that they have no option but to accept it is not true as long as it is redirected to charity..........

They are all donating the pay rise to charity.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/snp-mps-at-westminster-are-giving-their-7000-pay-rise-to-charity-10397476.html

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now is a time of austerity and huge financial difficulties for far too many people. It is not right for MPs to have a pay-rise in these circumstances.

As IPSA has gone ahead with these changes, I think it would be right to use the funds to support good causes

Doesn't say it's actually happening

The party told all MP's to give the pay rise to charity. I'm sure I've read since that all are. It's pretty safe to say that it is happening.

Not sure the other parties positions on this.

Not true. I wrote to the FM's office as well as my Glasgow North MP. I particularly liked the latter's reference to salaries being a personal and issue sensitive despite the context the question of salaries was raised in:

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: RE: Fwd: Update from Patrick Grady MP

Date: 24 September 2015 15:28:14 BST

To:

Afternoon

Many thanks for your email sent to Nicola Sturgeon MSP.

As Patrick Grady MP rightly states, MPs salaries are set and paid independently, so it is simply not possible for MPs not to receive them.

While it is up to individual members how they decide to use their parliamentary salaries, the SNP understands there will be concern that IPSA have awarded this increase at a time of continuing austerity when other workers in both the public and private sectors are getting only modest pay rises, or none at all.

It is up to individual members to respond to constituents regarding their MP salary and what they do with their MP salary and on this occasion there is nothing further that I can add to Patrick’s response.

Kind regards,

Ria

Ria Robertson

Operations Executive

Scottish National Party

Direct Dial: 0131 525 8924

SNP HQ, Gordon Lamb House, 3 Jackson’s Entry, Edinburgh ,EH8 8PJ

On 24 Sep 2015, at 10:06, GRADY, Patrick <patrick.grady.mp@parliament.uk> wrote:

Dear

Thanks for getting in touch. You are right that the SNP has been clear that we live in a time of austerity and huge financial difficulties for far too many people. It is not right for MPs to have a pay-rise in these circumstances.

However, as MP salaries are set and paid independently through IPSA, it is simply not possible for MPs not to receive them. While it is up to individual members how they decide to use their parliamentary salaries, in these circumstances I know that many of us are looking to support good causes using the additional income arising from the salary review.

The story you refer to describes only one route by which MPs can donate to charity. Many small and local charities which MPs choose to support may prefer to receive donations in different ways. For example, I have purchased a stock of branded House of Commons merchandise (mostly teddy bears and boxes of chocolates) which is available for local good causes to use as prizes in fund-raising raffles. You may be interested to know that SNP parliamentarians pay a levy of £250 a month from their salaries to the SNP in support of campaign activities and the operation of the party HQ.

Beyond this, I consider my charitable donations to be a private matter and don't intend to make any detailed public comment.

I hope that helps and that you'll understand questions of salaries and personal finance can be a sensitive and ultimately a private matter.

All of my expenses and allowances will of course be published in accordance with parliamentary standards.

If I can be of any further assistance on this or any other matter, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

All the best

Patrick

--

Patrick Grady

SNP MP for Glasgow North

www.patrickgrady.scot

------------------------------------------------------------

Emails from rapportmail@snp.org are generated by those authorised by the Data Policy of the Scottish National Party to communicate by email with you. In most cases, this will be the office bearer of your local branch. The content is the responsibility of the individual author, the SNP bears no responsibility for the content of this email, and the views expressed do not necessarily meet with those of the Party.

------------------------------------------------------------

UK Parliament Disclaimer: This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail. This e-mail address is not secure, is not encrypted and should not be used for sensitive data.

For latest news and information about all aspects of Parliamentary business, MSPs and our work, visit the Parliament's website at www.scottish.parliament.uk

For information about how you can visit the Parliament, go to www.scottish.parliament.uk/visit

Watch Parliamentary business live at www.scottishparliament.tv or read the Official Report at www.scottish.parliament.uk/OfficialReport

Faodar pàirt a ghabhail ann am Pàrlamaid na h-Alba tron Ghàidhlig. Tha barrachd fiosrachaidh ri fhaighinn sa phlana Ghàidhlig againn aig www.scottish.parliament.uk/PlanaGàidhlig

The information in this e-mail transmission and any files or attachments transmitted with it are strictly confidential and may contain privileged information. It is intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute, disclose or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your computer system and notify the sender as soon as possible.

While this e-mail message and attachments have been swept by the content filter software for the presence of computer viruses, the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for damage sustained as a result of a virus. It is the recipient's responsibility to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect their systems or data or otherwise incur liability in law.

Social justice in action. Gobbled up property paying less than market price. Solicitor involved been struck off.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/article1612472.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2015_09_26

What's the gist of it Alan, i only get a bit of the story as behind a paywall or my adblocker or something. Can't really comment without reading it.

Nationalism.

"accept that no member shall within or outwith the parliament publicly criticise a group decision, policy or another member of the group".

Nah that's a symptom of the disease of certainty, most groups have it, it's so annoying... when other side does it , pitch-forks when our side does it, excuses come out. Confirmation bias,my-side reasoning etc, it's not exclusive to nationalists or labour, but to humans.

using £250 per MP/MSP per month from Salary to go back into SNP Coffers? Is that allowed?

Why not? Anybody can donate money to the SNP. Why not MP/MSPs? MPs from other parties will be contributing to their parties through membership fees. I'm not sure why you would think it would be an issue.

Why not? Anybody can donate money to the SNP. Why not MP/MSPs? MPs from other parties will be contributing to their parties through membership fees. I'm not sure why you would think it would be an issue.

Cause i read it wasn't allowed somewhere, or at least think i did. That's why i asked for clarification. The context i read it in was Labour running out of money and folk using their salary to top up party coffers. Will try and find it when i have time.

Edited by phart

Did anyone vote for the SNP cos they thought the were the custodians of fairness and social justice? I thought it was about firstly independence and then we'll sort out the other stuff later.

I would guess that lots of folk have lots of different reasons for voting SNP. Their views on fairness and social justice will have had some impact IMO.

Cause i read it wasn't allowed somewhere, or at least think i did. That's why i asked for clarification.

I am just guessing here but I don't think will be taken directly out of their salary, as that would have to be administered by Westminster (or whoever it is who pays their salary). They are unlikely to provide that facility for the SNP. It will probably just be an agreement within the SNP that each MP "donates" £250 a month to SNP funds.

I am just guessing here but I don't think will be taken directly out of their salary, as that would have to be administered by Westminster (or whoever it is who pays their salary). They are unlikely to provide that facility for the SNP. It will probably just be an agreement within the SNP that each MP "donates" £250 a month to SNP funds.

Yeah i had a vague memory of something to do with party funds and salaries. could have it all mucked up in my head though. It was around the time Labour were totally rooked. meh i'm sure if it isn't allowed someone will let me know in the papers at some point.

Yeah i had a vague memory of something to do with party funds and salaries. could have it all mucked up in my head though. It was around the time Labour were totally rooked. meh i'm sure if it isn't allowed someone will let me know in the papers at some point.

You're not thinking about the trade union membership levy for the Labour party are you?

So she owns a stack of properties so that she can profit from inflated rental prices, due to a shortage fo affordable housing. All the while she's also on Ashley Madison, doing feck knows what.

Clearly a bastion of the social justice, fairness and integrity policies which the SNP claim to represent...