Is This The Greatest Football Magazine Cover Ever? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is This The Greatest Football Magazine Cover Ever?

the Sunnylaw Jag

I had looked at the same football card and thought it was Ian Gillard but your whole baldy manager thingy threw me off my game. Anyway onwards and upwards! I'm a bit conflicted as I quite enjoy putting these covers up but I'm also wanting more people to look out for the Epistles Facebook page and goddamn buy the magazines. Anyway, for now I will continue to post some covers but at some point may just post them on the Facebook page.

So here's a wee ginger headed lad whose got that red headed freckled undernourished but cheeky as hell look about him. A man who played six times for Scotland and was never in a losing team. There can't be too many from the seventies that can say that. Willie Carr played for Scotland between 1970 and 1972 and played in four victories against Northern Ireland, Peru and two against Denmark. He also played in two nil nil draws with Wales and then England. Willie also achieved over two hundred and fifty games for both Coventry and Wolves but is most famous for a free kick he took in the 70's.

2m663nn.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Colin Jackson of Rangers achieved eight games without a defeat from '75 onwards in games against Sweden, Portugal, Wales (x2), Denmark, Romania, Northern Ireland and England. His team mate Stewart Kennedy was four for four around the same time until the wheels fell aff the barra in game number 5.

Apparently Colin Jackson of Rangers achieved eight games without a defeat from '75 onwards in games against Sweden, Portugal, Wales (x2), Denmark, Romania, Northern Ireland and England. His team mate Stewart Kennedy was four for four around the same time until the wheels fell aff the barra in game number 5.

I have always maintained that Kennedy got an undue amount of criticism for that game. He was only at fault for 3 of the goals.

Apparently Colin Jackson of Rangers achieved eight games without a defeat from '75 onwards in games against Sweden, Portugal, Wales (x2), Denmark, Romania, Northern Ireland and England.

I wonder if that is a record? Gordon Greer is sitting on 7 games undefeated.

Posted this on Facebook today but no help with the players in question. From World Sports Magazine April 1966, this is action from the previous years Auld Enemy match at Wembley. The match ended up 2 all but I have no idea who the two Scots in this photo are. The Scotland line up for the match was Bill Brown, Alec Hamilton, Eddie McCreadie, Pat Crerand, Billy McNeill, John Greig, Willie Henderson, Bobby Collins, Ian St. John, Denis Law and Davie Wilson. I know it's Gordon Banks in goals and apparently George Cohen behind him with Booby Moore looking on and Jack Charlton holding somebody down. Scotland goalscorers that day were St. John and Denis Law.

As for the magazine, with the in depth look at the European Table Tennis championships, Cricket and some Athletics coverage you may want to give it a miss. In the meantime it is a classic cover to enjoy.
2m5j9rn.jpg

Still no guessing as to the players above then. Moving on I posted this one on Facebook yesterday, all the way from 1974

Billy Bremner and the Boys fae Brazil

It's another classic magazine cover and this time it's from the 1974 World Cup from Scotland v Brazil in Frankfurt, Germany on 18th June 1974. In action is Billy Bremner with Jim Holton and Martin Buchan also in shot. The Brazilians are Jairzinho and Mirandhina. As we all know and as taught in History lessons at school (well it should be) the game ended nil nil. The game is remembered for Billy's heartaching miss in the second half. Looking at the highlights on You Tube there were plenty of chances for both sides but for Scotland it was a missed opportunity as Brazil were there to be beaten. Who knows if Willie Ormond had introduced a sub at some point perhaps Tommy Hutchison or the criminally ignored Jimmy Johnstone, then maybe history would have a different tale to tell.
As you can see on the cover, England were on tour that summer as they failed to make the finals. There is also an article on the rising prices of admission to the Scottish First Division for season 74-75, terracing prices are rising from 35p to 40p, what a rip-off. Also included are some shots of the Brazil game inside the mag, which I may post later.
20qe61v.jpg

However, the question still remains why the hell are we wearing an England strip?

Looks like a Scotland badge on it to me...........

Was white shirt and blue shorts not our traditional away colours pre-1980'ish?

Sure there is a photo of the mid-late 1960's of a game with us in a even more England looking kit (white with a blue round neck).

We wore that shirt v Yugoslavia in 1974, but used the home shorts to play in full white.

It was generally our away strip and there's photos of us playing Yugoslavia in the '58 World Cup and we're wearing those colours but it just the idea of wearing colours all too similar to that of England is bizarre. Mind you didn't England cause a big furore a few years back by having a home strip that looked like a Germany one?

• 3 months later...