Best Ever Scotland Manager Prior To Strachan - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Ever Scotland Manager Prior To Strachan

mcnpauls

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His Euro 92 team played brilliantly and were heartbreakingly unlucky, though, I still think it's our best three performances in a single tournament, but we were jinxed. With a couple of bits of luck we might easily have actually won all three matches against the strongest opposition we've faced in a tournament.

Absolutely. We did well v Holland and were unlucky to lose 1-0, but we then absolutely destroyed Germany in our second game.

We missed half a dozen gilt edged chances in the first 15 mins and should have been out of sight. Germany scored a scrappy goal totally against the run of play, we then proceeded to batter them some more, before Germany broke away late on and a cross took a deflection over Andy Goram and landed in the back of the net. To this day I still cant believe how unlucky we were to lose that game.

Justice (a little bit) was done when we hammered Russia 3-0 in the final game to finish 5th out of 8 in the tournament, but that was a very very good team under Roxburgh who deserved a semi-final place, at least. We were certainly much better than Germany or the hosts Sweden, who both got to the semis.

A great tradition of Scotalnd Managers in World Cups:

McLeod with Masson 78

Stein with McGrain 82

Fergie with Souness 86.

By the same token, Willie Ormond strangely never played a bang in form Jinky Johnstone in any of the 3 World Cup games in 1974 just days after he almost single handledly destroyed England at Hampden in the Home International Championships.

By the same token, Willie Ormond strangely never played a bang in form Jinky Johnstone in any of the 3 World Cup games in 1974 just days after he almost single handledly destroyed England at Hampden in the Home International Championships.

Was actually Ormond's big mistake. McLeod reckoned his big blunder in Argentina was not playing Souness earlier. Stein would never admit to mistakes in 82. Fergie thought his was not playing Steve Archibald more in 86! Edited by mcnpauls

I remember going to a pub quiz attended by Craig Brown in a small pub on the outskirts of Falkirk when he was Scotland manager. Decent bloke who was really down to earth.

I remember a work mate telling me Andy Roxburgh was his School teacher.

Both were never great players but they got us to major championships, something we are dreaming of now. WGS will be a hero if he succeeds.

Craig might have never been a top player but he does have a Scottish League Champions medal won with Dundee. Not many can say that.

He also suffered bad injuries before he had a chance of becoming a really top player. He must have been a pretty decent player to get anywhere near that Dundee team.

He also suffered bad injuries before he had a chance of becoming a really top player. He must have been a pretty decent player to get anywhere near that Dundee team.

I think he was also one of the most highly rated schoolboy internationals of his age group as well.