Pot 3 - Then Regan Must Go - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pot 3 - Then Regan Must Go

Marty

I don't disagree that this is a ridiculous game to play, but I'd be interested to hear what the financial benefits really are. How much money will the SFA make out of this and, more importantly, how will they spend it? No chance we'll ever find out, though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise about points for friendlies but as I understand it this friendly was arranged months ago was it not? Before anyone on here and probably at the SFA (to be fair) had even dreamed about reaching Pot Two. Pot Three (regardless of this friendly result) is where I think we are destined to finish.

Destined??? You're making excuses for incompetence. I'm starting to think you might work for the SFA.

As for your claim that everyone on this board is as ill-informed as you are, just read this:

http://tartanarmyboard.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=1613&p=37516

There are others things to consider as well with friendlies. You labelled possibly Greece - okay but renowned as being very physical side - not what we want a few days before a crunch qualifier and more of a chance of a defeat as well meaning ranking points lost, possible injuries and blow to moral. Also something you or others aren't considering is that Gordon would have had a say in this as well so if he's happy then it can't be such a terrible decision can it?

Can't believe folk are defending this game or pretending it was a choice of qatar or nothing. This game was arranged this year at a time when we knew the cost to the rankings.

It is the wrong decision on so so many levels and reeks of hidden agendas taking the precedent over world cup qualification.

I have been to 64 away games but only seen us in one world cup. There is nothing pathetic about folk like me being annoyed there are forces within working against us getting to another one.

Can't believe folk are defending this game or pretending it was a choice of qatar or nothing. This game was arranged this year at a time when we knew the cost to the rankings.

It is the wrong decision on so so many levels and reeks of hidden agendas taking the precedent over world cup qualification.

I have been to 64 away games but only seen us in one world cup. There is nothing pathetic about folk like me being annoyed there are forces within working against us getting to another one.

Okay Marty can you tell me who you would have liked a friendly against bearing in mind we have a crunch qualifier a few days later?

well said anyone who thinks there isn't an non footballing agenda behind this game is completely naive. funny how this came about not long after the SFA's wee jolly to Qatar. the only reason we would have anything to do with them is purely down to financial reasons or perks for the boys.

well said anyone who thinks there isn't an non footballing agenda behind this game is completely naive. funny how this came about not long after the SFA's wee jolly to Qatar. the only reason we would have anything to do with them is purely down to financial reasons or perks for the boys.

Hmm so this is all about money then? So why is it not being played in a prime stadium? I do recall the Brazil match was lucrative as well and played at The Emirates. So who do you know within the SFA LewisEDI to have you speak with such certainty and if you are lumping the SFA in on this 'dodgy decision' then you do realise you are lumping Strachan in there as well. Wee Gordon takes no crap and we'd have known about it by now if he didn't agree with this Qatar match as he always speaks his mind and open to the press.

Okay Marty can you tell me who you would have liked a friendly against bearing in mind we have a crunch qualifier a few days later?

It's not rocket science mate. Any of the many many teams that wouldn't have harmed our chances for Ireland in June or Russia in 2016.

Do you seriously think they chose qatar for footballing reasons? Seriously?

I think you're on the wind up. Own up.

It's not rocket science mate. Any of the many many teams that wouldn't have harmed our chances for Ireland in June or Russia in 2016.

Do you seriously think they chose qatar for footballing reasons? Seriously?

I think you're on the wind up. Own up.

Name the teams then? Also look at the rankings thread and our chances of getting Pot 2 were pretty slim in any case. Pot 3 always looked the likeliest scenario. Now you arrange a friendly thinking of getting Pot 2 then you run the risk of harming our qualifying chances by either: A. Playing a physical side who could take a key player or two out of the key match V Ireland due to injury. B. You play a side that inflicts a possible defeat affecting moral which in turn hits ranking more.

Every friendly game (well a lot of them) are with finances in mind as the FA involved want a well attended match. If this was such a big financial pay-off for us as is the natural assumption then is it really going to be as vast as the attendance will be piss poor whereas playing Argentina say at Hampden would have increased the attendance probably almost ten fold. And okay say your assumption is correct and it is a vast swathe of money then how on earth do you know that this money isn't going to be spent on grassroots football in Scotland which would be a good thing.

And no I am not on a wind-up. Jeez because I am not seething at the SFA does not make me an employee of theirs or any less a Scotland supporter.

I get that there would be better teams to play in order to help our ranking, but we'd still need to beat them.

Am I right in saying that beating Qatar would be better than losing to Greece?

Yes.

If you lose 10-0 to San Marino you get the same points as losing 1-0 to Brazil (zero points).

It is better to play Qatar and win than play anyone else and lose.

Edited by tartanpar

And no I am not on a wind-up. Jeez because I am not seething at the SFA does not make me an employee of theirs or any less a Scotland supporter.

Frankly, this thread is pretty pathetic.

To me this is an A-typical thread of a football supporter who feel it is the done and natural thing to have a go at the SFA for anything and everything.

I fail to see why the quivering petted lip reaction by some here.

Oh come on davew, people would be annoyed with the SFA regardless.

Why? Because I am not foaming at the mouth about a choice of friendlies? Or because I am not towing the line by wading in to criticise anything the SFA does?

Why? Because the SFA have fücked up here. Everyone can see it. But you think we're all "pathetic" "foaming-at-the-mouth" "quivering petted lip" idiots for stating the obvious.

Just because some say they have 'f*cked up' does not make it so you know. Have a look on the rankings thread (page 11 I think) and we are given a one if four chance of reaching Pot 2 and a three in four chance of being in Pot 3 so like I said it was always the strongest possibility of finishing in Pot 3 so how is organising a friendly against Qatar as some heinious crime? Like I said earlier if the 'crime' is about money received then friendlies have always been a lot about money and generally getting teams that will fill out stadia so cash for friendlies is nothing at all new here.

I am one more interested in the here and now - the importance of getting a result in Ireland and keeping our qualifying campaign on track. If that means we avoid playing a friendly against a physical side who could quite possibly take key players of ours out of the Ireland match then that does me. That has to be the most important thing here - qualifying for the Euros. Twaddle? Well remember John Kennedy - picked up a terrible injury in a friendly V Romania at Hampden.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Firstly - we have been moving up the rankings, a win in dublin continues that trajectory and puts us on the edge of both pots. This makes the friendly important. Simple.

Second - why are you going out of your to pretend that a home friendly v qatar is a good footballing decision. What's your motivation (I still think your on the wind up)? This is the weakest ranked team we have ever played at home through choice as prep for a big game - if it is such a good footballing decision then why have we never done it before?

The 'crime' as you put it is that the decision has not been made for football reasons and there coukd be an impact on our workd cup wualification chances because of a very specific and questionsble agenda.

I'm no expert but it doesn't take expert to see what's happening. If you want to defend that agenda it's up to you.

Firstly, Marty before moving up pots we need a result in Ireland - that is the most important thing here for qualification-wise everyone agrees on that. The friendly is important but for reasons you are ignoring. We play a friendly against a fair to good side and lose then moral takes a blow a few days prior to the big match and ranking takes a blow as well. Equally, play a physical side and we lose a key player or two for the Ireland game - no thanks.

Secondly, did I say it was a good footballing decision? I don't think I ever have - all I have said is there is big over-reaction here to it. So just because I am not queueing to slate the SFA I am on the wind-up? :um-no:

As for it being all bad then you do realize that you are also questioning Strachan's role in this as well? I guarantee you if wee Gordon thought this was a rank bad move or harming us in any way Gordon always speaks his mind and we'd know about it by now.

I have no agenda here - again is it an agenda because I do not leap aboard the let's bash the SFA bus over every incident under the sun?

Firstly, Marty before moving up pots we need a result in Ireland - that is the most important thing here for qualification-wise everyone agrees on that. The friendly is important but for reasons you are ignoring. We play a friendly against a fair to good side and lose then moral takes a blow a few days prior to the big match and ranking takes a blow as well. Equally, play a physical side and we lose a key player or two for the Ireland game - no thanks.

Secondly, did I say it was a good footballing decision? I don't think I ever have - all I have said is there is big over-reaction here to it. So just because I am not queueing to slate the SFA I am on the wind-up? :um-no:

As for it being all bad then you do realize that you are also questioning Strachan's role in this as well? I guarantee you if wee Gordon thought this was a rank bad move or harming us in any way Gordon always speaks his mind and we'd know about it by now.

I have no agenda here - again is it an agenda because I do not leap aboard the let's bash the SFA bus over every incident under the sun?

The simple reality is we would've been better off playing no one than Qatar as far as our rankings are concerned.

If strachan desperately wanted a friendly there were many, many options that would not have such an impact. A closed door number would've been a perfect opportunity. It lowers our average even with a win.

Many were saying as much when the SFA went off on their jolly there a few months back. They were aware of the impact upon our rankings. The SFA aren't an completely incompetent body so I assume they were aware as well but chose the cash.

It is a decision that directly impacts upon our qualification chances. That's why people are upset. A financial based decision has had a direct consequence to our World Cup qualification prospects. Is it really that hard to understand?

Edited by flynnyboy

I don't like ANY of the SFA other than those around the actual team. We REALLY need to tear the whole thing up, sack the lot and restructure. The whole things an utter embarrassment.

It is a decision that directly impacts upon our qualification chances. That's why people are upset. A financial based decision has had a direct consequence to our World Cup qualification prospects. Is it really that hard to understand?

No I don't see how you can say that until we have actually got a result in the bag against Ireland. That is far far more important than the friendly before it. If we lose in Ireland it wouldn't matter what we did in friendly in any case. And also the friendly is not just about ranking points. I mean do we really want to go to Dublin on the back of a friendly defeat which could happen playing a stronger team damaging team moral in the process. I know I don't. And we don't want to be having a John Kennedy situation either where we played a friendly against a physical team and we again lose players for the crucial qualifier damaging (much more importantly) our Euro qualifying hopes which are still very much alive just in aid of worrying about a World Cup draw scenario.

No I don't see how you can say that until we have actually got a result in the bag against Ireland. That is far far more important than the friendly before it. If we lose in Ireland it wouldn't matter what we did in friendly in any case. And also the friendly is not just about ranking points. I mean do we really want to go to Dublin on the back of a friendly defeat which could happen playing a stronger team damaging team moral in the process. I know I don't. And we don't want to be having a John Kennedy situation either where we played a friendly against a physical team and we again lose players for the crucial qualifier damaging (much more importantly) our Euro qualifying hopes which are still very much alive just in aid of worrying about a World Cup draw scenario.

You are completely missing the point. You completely are dismissing the the average points factual information. It is a fact that by playing this particular game that our pot two chances are reduced. Yes it's all dependent on a result in Ireland but the body that run our game should be doing everything in its power to aid the progression of our game. This game even with a win in Ireland reduces our chance of pot 2. That is a fact. That is why I am annoyed. Much like the ticket pricing it is an ill thought out, self serving decision by the ruling body of our national game.

Edited by flynnyboy