Another £75 Million Subsidy From Scotland To London - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another £75 Million Subsidy From Scotland To London

An obvious question has to be asked....

HS2, Thameslink, Cross Rail and A14 upgrade are all UK NIPs (national infrastructure projects).

This gives them highest priority and non-Barnett funding.

Why is the long overdue upgrade of the A9 to dual carriageway not on this list ?

due to the volume of traffic I am sure it would be deemed not essential. I am sure given that the a9 can be very quiet at times that there are many other single lane roads which would be ahead of it in the queue. same as the a1 between berwick and newcastle.

^ the A9 is the main link between the entire north of Scotland and central belt.

if that is not infrastructure of "national importance" to the UK then I don't know what it is ?

upgrading the A9 to dual carriageway will cost the Scottish government £3billion (the most expensive transport project ever in Scotland).

200px-A9_road_map.png

An obvious question has to be asked....

HS2, Thameslink, Cross Rail and A14 upgrade are all UK NIPs (national infrastructure projects).

This gives them highest priority and non-Barnett funding.

Why is the long overdue upgrade of the A9 to dual carriageway not on this list ?

The project in Scotland which should be on the list is the new Forth crossing. By any kind of definition the Forth crossing should be on that national infrastructure list.

Also, the 'HS3' tag is a bit of a misnomer. It's proposed to make it a line equivalent to a current mainline e.g. West Coast main line, where the top speed is 125mph.

It's a much better investment than HS2 is though. It'll bring genuine economic improvement for the North of England, which is much needed, for a fraction of the cost. I have no objections to it, other than it should be done quicker.

The project in Scotland which should be on the list is the new Forth crossing. By any kind of definition the Forth crossing should be on that national infrastructure list.

^ yip.

FWIW : New forth crossing will cost 700 million

Dualing the entire A9 will be the most expensive transport investment ever made in Scotland at cost of £3 billion.

HS2 will cost the UK at least £42 billion.

However as an NIP it is a non Barnett funded project.

So Scotland pays 8.4% share then our contribution will be more than we spent on the biggest project ever in Scotland....

Day light robbery!

^ basically the Scotland / Wales / NI all get their funding via the Barnett formula.
from this Holyrood have to decide a budget, some of which goes to Transport Scotland.

However - a few larger scale projects, judged to be NIPs (national infrastructure projects) are funded outwith the Barnett formula.

The reason being they are judged to be of "UK national significance".
There is a list of them on the 1st page.

Could you explain the significance of non-Barnett funding?

To extrapolate slightly, when we get our 10% or whatever via Barnett, these projects are not included in the 100%

Meaning we contribute 10%, but it would appear much less than 10% comes back as most of these projects are in south east England.

To extrapolate slightly, when we get our 10% or whatever via Barnett, these projects are not included in the 100%

Meaning we contribute 10%, but it would appear much less than 10% comes back as most of these projects are in south east England.

exactamundo

I have to say the a14 upgrade is a much needed and long overdue project. Not going to say it's more or less than projects such as the a9 dualing or forth crossing but from driving on and around the stretch that is due to be upgraded I know how bad it can get. Should it be exempt from the Barnett formula or not I don't know but totally agree that there are far to many projects in the south east/london area that are getting exemption

Don't get that map has the a14 at low risk between huntingdon and cambridge and the a1198 next to it at medium risk even though there are far more crashes on the a14. Also most of the crashes that happen on the 1198 are from when the a14 gets shut and everyone then use the surrounding roads such as the 1198 which results in total gridlock over a very large area