Johann Lamont - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing about Broon points to him wanting the job. Firstly: he's done his bit in saving the union, so job done. He's moved on from day-to-day politics, hence his describing himself as an ex-politician, not to mention his awful Commons attendance record.

Secondly: he's sees himself as being a global statesman (let's not forget he saved the banks, saved the global economy and saved the 'greatest' political union the world has ever known). He sees himself as too high profile for a branch office job.

...In saying that, he's an arrogant, self-loving khunt who probably covers himself in chocolate and licks it off and there's no telling what his ego might drive him blindly into. If the role of God doesn't come up for election soon, Broon might just be tickled by the possibility of saving Labour in Scotland.

Not to mention (as Sarah Smith of all people commented on the other day) he's earning more than any other MP from extra-parliamentary work, around £0.5m last year!

Edited by Toepoke

Good riddance to possibly the poorest 'politician' in many generations. How that woman kept her job so long... she's a fkin idiot.

Would be surprised if scumbag Murphy took up the poisoned chalice before their routing that's heading their way in May.

Whoever they choose has a really difficult choice to make. Prove Johann Lamont correct and just preside over a Local Branch or take the fight to the heart of the Labour Party to get complete autonomy for Scottish Labour.

Either way I think that they are doomed. And that can only be a good thing.

Edited by Kittymeister

To have just campaigned against Scottish independence and then come out with huge moans about not being autonomous while in a rage at getting the heave ho really does reveal the mind bending hypocrisy of Labour in Scotland and Lamont in particular. Oh I see the problem is you are not autonomous... The stench of self interest off these people is incredible.

I think Labour's previous Scottish political hegemony has led to Westminster politicians treating Scots as a group that can be overlooked - do what you will to them, they'll still vote for you. They have failed to evolve (in more ways than one). Scotland, however, has moved on. We expect more today, and we have an alternative party we can give our vote to that stand for, in many cases, the same things as Labour.

I believe the next few weeks will define the Labour Party for many traditional Labour voters. A left wing MSP with a good degree of autonomy will instigate a challenge to the SNP. A right wing MP, or to a lesser extent even a left wing one, will prove that Scottish Labour has effectively no power.

Roll on Jim Murphy. The worst choice, from my perspective, would be Neil Findlay. A capable guy who espouses the sentiments that many Scots do believe in. Would be surprised if they choose him though. Westminster Labour MPs are too obsessed with power, and have spent too many years moving ever right, to relinquish it to a Scottish-based upstart. Only Jim Murphy can secure their cosy existence.

Edited by Stapes

Murphy would be great if only for the level of rage he would bring about in the cybernats.

are we/they talking about a Westminster mp taking head of Scottish labour roll but still continuing to sit in Westminster

with some lackie, dygdale?, standing at front in Scottish Parliament?

They don't know themselves. My maw was telling me Anus Sarwar got a right doing fae Brewer on The Politics Show earlier.

He did that, his chances of the leadership pretty much evaporated there and then, if anyone with any degree of competence is up for it (not that there is anyone of any standing or ability at Holyrood on the Labour side). There would be something spectacularly right about Labour reacting to the resignation of their leader up here, due to Scotland being treated like a branch office, by appointing a Westminster MP as the new leader. Brewer made great store about a conversation he had had earlier today with a Labour former cabinet minister that their MPs at Westminster, sitting on huge majorities in sundry central Scotland fiefdoms, just don't get and don't much care, how bad things are for Labour in Scotland. The mindset of the MPs being that if their majorities fall from 15,000 to 7,000 their jobs would still be safe. Whether the likes of Murphy or Brown would actually fancy day to day stuff at Holyrood I rather doubt; much though Labour needs Scottish MPs as lobby fodder, I wouldn't underestimate in just how much contempt specificaly Scottish, as opposed to Westminster, politics is held by them and their likes. Edited by Pool Q