A9 Average Speed Cameras - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A9 Average Speed Cameras

I got a lift home from Prestwick Airport last month and didn't notice the junctions had been replaced.

There's two new flyovers as you pass Symington. Replaced the old crossroad junctions which were deathtraps, especially before the 50mph cameras were installed.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but id rather folk didnt drive like twats and i could continue to drive at a decent speed and not hsve to sit at 60/70 when its not needed.

I think most drivers think they are fine but a lot of others are twats.

It's clearly saving lives and avoiding crashes so even if it increases journeys times then I'm 100% in favour.

This road clearly needs improvement though for all sorts of reasons.

Correct. There's vast sections of the A9 where 80mph is a perfectly safe speed to drive.

Not really. The more you increase you speed the greater the risk even on an empty road (albeit much less in that case).

What about different weather conditions, road surfaces etc ?

The real twats are those who regularly take risks on the road thinking they are fine and everyone else is a bad/reckless driver.

If people want to injure or kill themselves then fine, let them but accidents often involve others.

So it takes a bit longer and you lose a few minutes - so what? It's worth it IMO.

Other drivers are twats but when I speed it's okay.

Nothing wrong with speeding when its sensible. The twats are the onrs that cut in and out of 20 odd cars just to sit at the head of the que behund a lorry instead of waiting for dual carriage ways. The A9 is a great road and i love driving it. I dont love having to sit at 70 when there is all else on the road.

People who think speeding in itself is bad are probably peoole who drive at 20 when theres a wee bit of rain or the temp drops below 10.

Nothing wrong with speeding when its sensible. The twats are the onrs that cut in and out of 20 odd cars just to sit at the head of the que behund a lorry instead of waiting for dual carriage ways. The A9 is a great road and i love driving it. I dont love having to sit at 70 when there is ###### all else on the road.

People who think speeding in itself is bad are probably peoole who drive at 20 when theres a wee bit of rain or the temp drops below 10.

What's stopping you driving at over 70 if you want to? Just go for it.

They did a similar thing on the A77 between Kilmarnock and Prestwick, actually reduced the speed limit to 50mph as well, which made a hugh difference. The old junctions there have since been replaced with split level interchanges and I have heard that the speed cameras are subsequently going to be switched off. I was in fact googling for details on when they're going to switch them off when I came across the A9 story yesterday.

The plan was to change the limit back to 70 since the dangerous junctions have now been eliminated - however the 'speed kills' propaganda machine instantly jumped on it, so I'm not sure if its still on track.

Also, allegedly, if you believe the stories, that area was one of the few stretches of the A77 where the average speed cameras are actually active. So if they did put the 70 limit back you could argue you could do away with the average speed cameras. But then that would cause a massive uproar too so I'm guessing the 50 limit and the cameras might well be staying.

Not really. The more you increase you speed the greater the risk even on an empty road (albeit much less in that case).

What about different weather conditions, road surfaces etc ?.

We should probably drive everywhere at 30mph then. After all, if we go faster it only increases the risk.

I'm saying that driving to the conditions, rather than blindly following some arbitrary limit is safer.

We should probably drive everywhere at 30mph then. After all, if we go faster it only increases the risk.

I'm saying that driving to the conditions, rather than blindly following some arbitrary limit is safer.

Not really. There's room for an optimum speed depending on roads, traffic and that's how and why limits are in place.

Driving to conditions is sensible but sadly there are twats (using the common expression in this thread) that don't and endanger others.

To trade a few minutes for life or injury is silly and most drivers think they are safe in all sorts of situations.

Sadly road accident stats shows they aren't.

No. Limits were in place based on safety 30/40 years ago. Now we have safer roads and safer cars, yet the same limits.

Your post earlier in the thread saying that going 80mph couldn't be safe, takes no cognisence of improved safety over time or of road conditions.

No. Limits were in place based on safety 30/40 years ago. Now we have safer roads and safer cars, yet the same limits.

Your post earlier in the thread saying that going 80mph couldn't be safe, takes no cognisence of improved safety over time or of road conditions.

Is this for me ?

Not sure about improved road safety - maybe you mean more speed limits in certain areas and certain types of roads e.g. near schools, built up areas and many other examples ?

Some speed limits may have actually now reduced because many people/policy makers acknowledge the need for improvements, injuries, deaths etc ( I think there was something recently changed in Edinburgh to this effect).

I've no idea if stats improved on deaths and accidents but probably yes like this A9 thread has shown ? But people moan about an increased journey time ?!

And the fact that road traffic has possibly doubled in those last 30/40 years ? And maybe cars have got more powerful ?

So "safer" cars and roads may be offset by twice as many vehicles and drivers who still can't stay within whatever limits and possibly think those safer cars and roads means they can stretch the boundaries further - as you maybe think (from your last post) ?

Car's safer so I can go faster. Oh yeah and the road is better - add a few more mph.

I don't understand all the grumpy drivers on here (and in general) who moan about speed limits when it clearly saves lives.

At what point does saving a life or injury trade in for a few minutes (or even 30-60 mins) of getting somewhere faster?

No brainer for me.

I'm amazed by anyone trying to defend it and say how great a driver they are when there's so much more at stake. :blink::worried:

Usually it's not speed that causes the accident (although its used all the time) but rather drivers speeding at the wrong time or driving like idiots ie tailgating, undertaking, weaving between traffic etc. Also driving too slow can be dangerous as it then distraught other drivers and can cause them to take chances they normally wouldn't take. Not talking about the 50 mph on an a road more the 30 mph and slowing for corners on an a road.

Usually it's not speed that causes the accident (although its used all the time) but rather drivers speeding at the wrong time or driving like idiots ie tailgating, undertaking, weaving between traffic etc. Also driving too slow can be dangerous as it then distraught other drivers and can cause them to take chances they normally wouldn't take. Not talking about the 50 mph on an a road more the 30 mph and slowing for corners on an a road.

Good post

Seriously, how often do you see genuine cases of someone driving dangerously slowly as opposed to someone who is in your way and could be driving 10-15 mph faster and is just irritating you?

It annoys the hell out me as well when I'm stuck behind someone who I don't think is making good progress - especially where I live where the council has conspired to make overtaking on A roads almost impossible - but in 30 years of driving I don't think I can remember any genuine cases of seeing someone driving dangerously slowly.

On the other hand I've seen lots of people driving too fast for the road, occasionally it's been me.

70% of people think they're a better than average driver. Unless there's a really weird distribution of driving ability, a significant proportion of them are wrong. You should always consider you are one of these people if you want to drive safely.

70% of people think they're a better than average driver. Unless there's a really weird distribution of driving ability, a significant proportion of them are wrong. You should always consider you are one of these people if you want to drive safely.

Indeed, speed is only safe in the hands of an expert like myself.