"prospects" That Never Quite Made It. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"prospects" That Never Quite Made It.

JagDude

im going to stick jess and booth in here too and durrant considering the impact they made compared to their talent, (durrants contribution was limitied obviously due to injuries)

What complete fecking pish :lol:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BIGGEST waste of talent and fall from grace could be Garry O'connor.

Multi millionaire moves to locomotive moscow, english prem with birmingham, now living in a council house playing amatuer as he was unplayable at morton.

Edited by Robroysboy

I think this list should only really include youngsters tipped for the top who never got there. Granted players like Riordan and O'Connor suffered massive falls from grace but they do have Scotland caps as do Durrant, Jess, Forrest and a few others mentioned here so they all did briefly make it (so to speak). I think this list should only really include players touted for great things but never represented Scotland at full level to any great degree. In that list in recent times I'd put:-

Robbie Foy

John Fleck

Stephen Smith

Andrew Driver

Ross Turnbull

Michael Stewart

Fraser Fyvie

The unbelievable hype that the Daily Ranger put on John Fleck about six years ago, was so ridiculous that it's embarrassing looking back on it now.

Simon Ferry and Charlie Grant were brilliant players for Celtic youth and Archie Gemmill's Scotland teams. Terrible injury's fecked them over sadly. Charlie Grant chucked the professional game completely a few years ago because his knee was totally wrecked. He'd have been a good, tough tackling, defensive midfielder today for us had he made it.

I reckon there could still be time for Fraser Fyvie, still got age on his side. Down at Wigan now but not sure if he's getting a run or not

He's only played eleven games (mostly in cups) for Wigan since moving there. At the moment he's nowhere near their first team.

To make matters worse he was sent back early from loan spells at Yeovil and Shrewsbury owing to poor performances.

Shame.

I never rated Fyvie that highly in the first place. Average player who was just physically developed from a young age and could play against men at 16. So dunno if he was ever really that great a prospect.

Leaving Aberdeen too early and being a wee bawsac means he's no chance of ever making it big.

A wee bit self indulgent here, but I would have to say, Me

I was a lightning fast full back (At 15 I could run 100m in under 11.5 sec), that tackled harder than a fecking truck, and was not that shabby at passing a ball.

I was S Form with the Jags, and St Mirren where interested in taking me on trial, however all that changed when my school teached decided for reasons known only to him, that I would be a better keeper than fullback (Despite the fact that leauge team had signed me as a fullback, another one wanted to sign me as a full back), so I became a goalie and everybody lost interest in me.

And if anybody is interested in what happened to that dick of a teacher, well he is now managing Rangers, so thanks for feck all Mr McDowall, and I hope you get the bullet along with the board.

Rant over

The unbelievable hype that the Daily Ranger put on John Fleck about six years ago, was so ridiculous that it's embarrassing looking back on it now.

the press seething that he wasnt called up to play against holland. beckham getting eagerly asked after a friendly against rangers about what he thought of him when it was obvious he had not a scooby about who he was

the press seething that he wasnt called up to play against holland. beckham getting eagerly asked after a friendly against rangers about what he thought of him when it was obvious he had not a scooby about who he was

Aye the whole circus surrounding Fleck at that time was stupid.

Looking back on it now it's really embarrassing how our national media wanked themselves into such a frenzy over this one very average player who is now playing for a struggling third tier club down south. I thought by now he was supposed to be at Real Madrid or Juventus ?

Wonder how many of those stupid so called "experts" who touted Fleck as "the Scottish Wayne Rooney" back then (and there were a lot of them), had even regularly been to see him play for Rangers or Scotland's youth teams ?

I was a lightning fast full back (At 15 I could run 100m in under 11.5 sec), that tackled harder than a fecking truck, and was not that shabby at passing a ball.

I was S Form with the Jags, and St Mirren where interested in taking me on trial, however all that changed when my school teached decided for reasons known only to him, that I would be a better keeper than fullback (Despite the fact that leauge team had signed me as a fullback, another one wanted to sign me as a full back), so I became a goalie and everybody lost interest in me.

And if anybody is interested in what happened to that dick of a teacher, well he is now managing Rangers, so thanks for feck all Mr McDowall, and I hope you get the bullet along with the board.

Rant over

Doesn't say much for your "talent" that your coach thought you'd be a better keeper than fullback. In fact it's pretty embarrassing. Additionally having previously had experience with the s form I find it unbelievable that the club involved ratified the decision.

Rant over

Are you sure your best position wasn't left-back........................................................

in the dressing room.

Doesn't say much for your "talent" that your coach thought you'd be a better keeper than fullback. In fact it's pretty embarrassing. Additionally having previously had experience with the s form I find it unbelievable that the club involved ratified the decision.

30 year ago, the S form system was abused to feck, many boys where signed up, and the clubs never even bothered to register them with the SFA.

As for my "Talent", or lack of it, I could not have been all that bad, as I got signed in the first place.

Still 30 years is a long time to hold a grudge against Mr McDowall, and seeing how well he is now doing at Rangers, I reckon, I can hold it for another 30, no problem.

Edited by Grumpyauldgit

Going further back, Britain's first £100,000 teenage player Tommy Craig when he moved form Aberdeen to Sheffield Wednesday in the late 60's. His only cap came in the 70's when he was with Aston Villa. Perhaps Ian Wallace £1 million pound player from Coventry to Nottingham Forest in the 70's and only a handful of caps . . but he really was mince.