Strachan Considered Quitting After Serbia - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan Considered Quitting After Serbia

wanderer

Couple of papers running a interview with Mark McGhee where he says Strachan considered walking away when they returned from Serbia, with the first 30 minutes of the Wales game the worst of his whole time with Scotland.

Good thing that things picked up after that :ok:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/gordon-strachan-thought-about-quitting-scotland-1-3666352

The upturn since that night in Serbia has been immense.

I remember being worried for him if we didnt get a result in Macedonia for some reason I just had it in my head that people would start to turn on him.

Heres hoping the next 18 months are as good as the last 18! :sing::cheers3::ok:

I was really worried going into the Croatia game in Zagreb.... defeat there would have been 3 on the trot, defeat there, plus defeat at Wembley and against Belgium, that could have realistically been 5 defeats in a row before you reached your "easy" game of Macedonia away.......

Very much doubt Strachan would have survived that, but things "clicked" just at the right moment.

Edited by wanderer

I thought scotland played particuarly poor in serbia.

They were also average against walesat hampden but could have won that one if it wasn't for gareth bloody bale.

Since then the team have performed with confidence which has grown game by game.

They even could have beat belgium if scott browns howitzer was on target at hampden.

Thank goodnees WGS rode the storm and the weight of expectation has replaced the levienes era of dread and fear.

IN GORD we TRUST

I thought scotland played particuarly poor in serbia.

They were also average against walesat hampden but could have won that one if it wasn't for gareth bloody bale.

Since then the team have performed with confidence which has grown game by game.

They even could have beat belgium if scott browns howitzer was on target at hampden.

Thank goodnees WGS rode the storm and the weight of expectation has replaced the levienes era of dread and fear.

IN GORD we TRUST

It was Bale that done us in Cardiff, he went off at half time at Hampden injured. As much as we were average that night we didnt look in any real bother I thought until Snodgrass slid in for that tackle and gave away the penalty.

I was really worried going into the Croatia game in Zagreb.... defeat there would have been 3 on the trot, defeat there, plus defeat at Wembley and against Belgium, that could have realistically been 5 defeats in a row before you reached your "easy" game of Macedonia away.......

Very much doubt Strachan would have survived that, but things "clicked" just at the right moment.

I think that would've been down to Strachan's personal feelings at the time.

If Strachan himself felt like it was time to go had the above scenario happened then yeah he probably would've walked.

However I can't see the SFA punting him if that scenario had happened, considering the time they gave to Levein/Burley and the fact that Croatia/England away are difficult games along with Belgium at home.

We were building towards the EURO 2016 qualifiers so he probably would've stayed regardless.