Our Next 4 Qualifiers. - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our Next 4 Qualifiers.

ScotlandFanMuir

My gut feeling is Poland have won the group, as they have looked the best side so far (even at our game in Warsaw, they really did make us work for that draw when they pegged us back, and think they could have easily gone on to win), and really can not see Germany finishing lower than 2nd..... so basically its winner takes all in the game in Dublin for 2nd place IMHO, with us hopefully doing enough to get best runner's up spot.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gut feeling is Poland have won the group, as they have looked the best side so far (even at our game in Warsaw, they really did make us work for that draw when they pegged us back, and think they could have easily gone on to win), and really can not see Germany finishing lower than 2nd..... so basically its winner takes all in the game in Dublin for 2nd place IMHO, with us hopefully doing enough to get best runner's up spot.

Poland have looked good but they still have away matches in Germany, Ireland and Scotland to play. Don't get too carried away by them just yet.

Apologies if there's a wee tad of arrogance from the TA, GTR !

Being a nation that's been starved of success for a good while now and having to put up with a couple of bloody awful managers, a few lazy arsed players, a number of mind boggling refereeing decisions, the occasionally totally shameless cheating opposition and a national football media that revels in failure - it's a bit of a weird situation we're in with the national team doing reasonably well at present. It's been a wee while since we were last used to it !

It would be really interesting to know how you think Ireland will line up and play against Poland. What are Ireland's strengths and weaknesses at present ?

The new players introduced to the team, Christie and McGoldrick, seem like two decent additions for you. I thought your big central defender Keogh, played well against us too, if he were Scottish I'd have him on our team in a second.

Completely understandable mate - good to see ye guys back competing for qualification again

Ye have won 2 out of 2 at home.....if ye can do the business in Georgia and Beat Poland at home.....I cant see ye finish below 3rd despite even IF ye were to lose in Dublin

Keogh was excellent in Glasgow....probably the only bright point for us in that game as we were awful. Although Brady looked good when he came on too.

Very hard to know what line out O'Neill will play against ye and poland in Dublin. Christie looks like a real find....been excellent for Derby , and while he was great in our victory against the states...it was only one game and a friendly so he still has alot to prove if he can cut it an INTL level.

Lineup ....at the moment .... I would say Forde, Coleman, O 'Shea, Ward (although im hoping he plays christie at left back) , Whelan, Mcgeady , Hendrick , McCarthy , Mclean ( wud prefer Brady) , Keane , Long...but the scotland game is 6 mths away so alot could change. But i do think Keane wll start.

Think Ward is a massive weakness and despite colemans great attacking threat and potential , he still has a habit of switching off and getting caught out defensively (as Anya and Robertson proved very well in Glasgow)

The reality for us is (like ye ) that if we want 2nd place then we must beat ye and Poland in Dublin in our next 2 games. M.O.N has said we will put the ball down and play and attack in our home games....so we will wait and see....but reality is , the pressure is on him as he Must deliver over the coming months. The F.A.I wont tolerate us not qualifying....so to a certain his job is on the line over the coming months

Poland have looked good but they still have away matches in Germany, Ireland and Scotland to play. Don't get too carried away by them just yet.

Agree with this - Poland have had a great start ....but they still have a lot to do. Points will be dropped by them just like us.

Considering Poland beat germany, but then dropped points to Scotland at home, considering we beat Georgia away and took points off Germany in theirs....but then lost to ye....it shows that Poland are no guarantees for qualification given that they have to go to Germany , Ireland and Scotland

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Excluding the Gibraltar games where we will take 6 points and the Germany game where anything is a bonus then the 4 things we need to happen are to finish 2nd.

- no team to take 6 points in the Poland v Ireland games.

- avoid defeat in Ireland

- beat Georgia

- beat Poland

With this scenario we will finish on a minimum of 20 points, and it will be unlikely although not impossible that Ireland could match that, and Poland would only likely get to 20 too where we would have a better head to head.

All very doable, and I suspect the first 3 will happen and we will go into the Poland match knowing a win will get us second (assuming we win in gib).......yes it's all guesswork, but it's exciting for a change.

Excluding the Gibraltar games where we will take 6 points and the Germany game where anything is a bonus then the 4 things we need to happen are to finish 2nd.

- no team to take 6 points in the Poland v Ireland games.

- avoid defeat in Ireland

- beat Georgia

- beat Poland

With this scenario we will finish on a minimum of 20 points, and it will be unlikely although not impossible that Ireland could match that, and Poland would only likely get to 20 too where we would have a better head to head.

All very doable, and I suspect the first 3 will happen and we will go into the Poland match knowing a win will get us second (assuming we win in gib).......yes it's all guesswork, but it's exciting for a change.

good post, i like your thinking. Sold :ok:

Sorry don, t get all the negativity , we have 7 points out of 12 and played well in all 4 games , if we carry on the way we, ve started we will get 2nd at worst , I think we will be stronger the 2nd half of the campaign and get the poibts required

aye good point, im just a glass an eighth full kind of guy.