Euro 96 - Wembley - Where's Wally Game - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 96 - Wembley - Where's Wally Game

giblet

always thought it was strange how so many foreign hooligan groups would use the union jack on their flags and then at the same time be baying for blood when playing against English teams. also never really understood why England fans\hoolgans would use it rather than their own national flag.

Its viewed somewhat as a fashion statement abroad.

I have seen it at a number of games here and there in Europe (most obscure one was at a BFC Dynamo Berlin game... never really noticed as I was standing beside it and my German friend was going to take a photo, given he knows my views towards it).

Edited by wanderer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, not my bag but I'd prefer it if folk put as much effort creating an atmosphere. Pubs usually bouncing before away games then half the away end too pished /sleeping to support the team

it's a big too much "Look at me I'm crazy".

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that.

i'm with you

As I said, not my bag but I'd prefer it if folk put as much effort creating an atmosphere. Pubs usually bouncing before away games then half the away end too pished /sleeping to support the team

it's a big too much "Look at me I'm crazy".

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Agree, I try to not have too much pre match. I get very nervous though and kick every ball so a few beers isn't so bad.

I just remember being totally convinced McAllister was going to miss.

I was convinced he'd score. Up until that point he'd been an accomplished penalty taker, placing the ball low in either corner making them unsaveable.

He changed his style for that game and went for power, also with a little height making it saveable. Watching the replays I couldn't understand it.

Finally scanned my Euro 96 picture of a section of our fans. Got this picture from the Daily Record as me and my mate were in it. You can see by the fashion it was flipping hot. also, notice this was pre Bertie era, so no Glengarrys. The fashion TA police would have a field day now with this. See if any of you old campaigners can find yourself.

(I'm in top left hand quarter with a baseball cap :blink: waving a flag)

280uv5t.jpg

Spot the CID :-))

I was convinced he'd score. Up until that point he'd been an accomplished penalty taker, placing the ball low in either corner making them unsaveable.

He changed his style for that game and went for power, also with a little height making it saveable. Watching the replays I couldn't understand it.

Where I was sitting was directly along the goal line, so for a split second it looked like Seaman had pushed it onto the bar and went on, but fast knew that Gary Mac had missed.

Was McCoist even on the pitch at the time? Remember he went to warm up behind the goals not long before the penalty and a chant of "Super Ally" had got going.

he's skied one for coventry the week before. knew he was going to miss, was written all over this face. mind you if Uri Geller hadnt made the ball move it was a goal.

Was McCoist even on the pitch at the time? Remember he went to warm up behind the goals not long before the penalty and a chant of "Super Ally" had got going.

he came on in the 67th minute so yes, i've heard this talk of mccoist wanting to take it but from what i remember he doesnt go up to mcallister

he's skied one for coventry the week before. knew he was going to miss, was written all over this face. mind you if Uri Geller hadnt made the ball move it was a goal.

Would have been Leeds, as he only signed for Coventry after the Euro's.

He also missed a penalty v Malta at Ibrox a couple of years earlier as well.

The penalty miss was the worst I've ever felt at a fitba match. Legs turned to jelly and I physically couldn't stand up for 10 mins or so.

Fair play to Gary Mac though... 12 months later, he had the balls to take the penalty in Minsk to secure a 1-0 win - without which we probably wouldn't have qualified for France '98.

when did these glengarries with half a peacocok sprouting out the top start appearing then ?

A lot latter than folk would think.

There has always been people who have worn that style as far back as I can remember.

My first away game after joining the SSC was Ireland in 2000, and that was mainly jeans and a Scotland shirts (though fair number of kilts).... few months later at Latvia in Riga Kilts mostly.

After this there started to be a slow rise in kilts and Glengarries, but I feel it was round about 2003-ish where it took off that everyone seemed to wear them (I remember up to that point wearing a kilt to a home friendly was somewhat frownd upon)

The penalty miss was the worst I've ever felt at a fitba match. Legs turned to jelly and I physically couldn't stand up for 10 mins or so.

Fair play to Gary Mac though... 12 months later, he had the balls to take the penalty in Minsk to secure a 1-0 win - without which we probably wouldn't have qualified for France '98.

Totally spot on and ALOT of people seemed to have forgotton that

Think Mac changed his normal style of pen cause Seaman was in Goals, McCoist should have taken it IMO, Sat with a Saltire over my head after that so missed there second goal, What about Seamans save from Juke Box I am sure, Great day just shame about the result, WE desreved a draw that day just like against Brazil in France 98

A lot latter than folk would think.

There has always been people who have worn that style as far back as I can remember.

My first away game after joining the SSC was Ireland in 2000, and that was mainly jeans and a Scotland shirts (though fair number of kilts).... few months later at Latvia in Riga Kilts mostly.

After this there started to be a slow rise in kilts and Glengarries, but I feel it was round about 2003-ish where it took off that everyone seemed to wear them (I remember up to that point wearing a kilt to a home friendly was somewhat frownd upon)

Got some pics of the Liverpool game in 77 and there were probably 2 in kilts out of 3/400 in a huge club / bar.