Islam Feruz - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Islam Feruz

John_B81

Well rumours were afoot in newspapers about him turning his back on Scotland (no smoke without fire I say) and if I really felt miffed about false rumours I would have made sure I moved to scotch those rumours by making a public statement which he hasn't done (why?) or contacted those in the Scotland set-up (he may have done that) however the fact he is no longer named in squads kind of disproves he has been in touch with the SFA. The only other shred of evidence out there is not good for Feruz - chose a youth tournament in the Far East over an international call-up.

So, nothing from him at all then, just rumours and conjecture?

Regarding smoke without fire. That's something the football press excel at, and we all know it. He turned his back on one squad isnt a particularly tasty headline.. "he's turned his back on Scotland!" now that's something that'll sell papers!

As I remember, after Feruz pulled out of a squad to go on a tour with his club, someone put a ridiculous question to Gordon Smith of something like "what do you think of Feruz not wanting to play for Scotland anymore?" and Smith was stupid enough to take the bait. He said some silly things, amounting to 'good riddance, he cant play for anyone else whose any good' I wouldn't be surprised if there was a rift as a result of that.

That a player makes a move to a big club and opts to focus on trying to make it at that big club at the expense of one trip with the international youth team isn't a big shocker to me. It's probably happened a bunch of times to a bunch of players, some of which have gone on to be full internationalists. But cos it's Feruz, and the press has already got the 'he betrayed Celtic' angle, they can work that into a 'he betrayed Scotland' and make it even more saleable.

He might not develop. He might end up being crap and going to Chelsea so young gave him a big time charlie attitude that ruins him as a player. He could never amount to anything, and never pull on a dark blue shirt again purely because others merit it more. All that could happen.. but i'm not going to crucify him now for something that we have no actual evidence for.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you can display any evidence of him showing he wants to play for us post-pulling out of 'that' squad then feel free.

I don't buy newspapers so pay no attention there and I only go on facts before me. He turned down joining a Scotland squad to go on a youth tournament in the Far East of Chelsea that is regarded as fact. The Celtic affair (regardless of how the papers report it) left Celtic miffed by the player's lack of loyalty considering the lengths they had not only gone to but achieved by preventing him and his family being deported. The fact he was so swift to flee Celtic puts his loyalty into question and displays that such a trait is there. Other clues to his bad attitude seem apparent as in Blackpool sent him back to his club pretty sharpish and he has been on loan at two other clubs with no success whatsoever.

Feruz has tweeted or at least stated clearly that his dream would be to play for Somalia or Tanzania. I thought there was also an outside chance that he could qualify for Mozambique but I also believe that he could qualify to play for any of the home nations - England Wales or NI as well as Scotland. His shunning of his adopted country and the country that brought him up right through the whole youth international system seems a bit naff to me to be honest. I know he has asked or even said that he is not to be considered for Scotland squads annd turned down the chance of being blooded at full international level at a friendly game. To be honest, the boys heart is not anywhere near Scotland, he has a poor attitude and is really quite lazy on the park and really just not good enough... let him do what he wants and forget about him.

At least Feruz is not quite the same kind of a traitor as Aiden McGeady... but thats another story.

playing devils advocate before his original twitter got binned it was full of photos of him playing for scotland with quotes such "as scotland over england always" and "loving life but in the wrong city" with photos of glasgow. he also used to watch U21 games on the TV as he would be posting about the game, saying things such as "scot allan should have started for sure, some player" and he was bang on the money there ;-)

he played a lot of youth games for scotland up to U21, he doesnt have anything against scotland IMO he is just a daft wee boy still and obviously didnt enjoy going away with the recent scotland squads and as not a born and bred scot he doesnt have the same attachment to scotland as people who are do.

Do you actually believe that? Born and bred Scots have more attachment to Scotland than those who aren't.

The list of born and bred Scots who couldn't give a monkeys about playing for Scotland is lengthy as is the list of born and bred Scots who would rather play for another country.

don't think that has a great deal to do with whether he wants to play for Scotland or not

Do you actually believe that? Born and bred Scots have more attachment to Scotland than those who aren't.

The list of born and bred Scots who couldn't give a monkeys about playing for Scotland is lengthy as is the list of born and bred Scots who would rather play for another country.

don't think that has a great deal to do with whether he wants to play for Scotland or not

well if i was born in somalia and moved to scotland where none of my family are from when i was 10 and i was getting called up and not enjoying the games and being away with the squads im sure i would be much more likely to decide I didn't want to go and take part rather than forcing myself to do it as i wanted to represent scotland. so yes i do believe that.

a dressing room is a lonely place when you arent getting on with the others as is being away for weeks at a time at that age

Edited by LewisEDI

well if i was born in somalia and moved to scotland where none of my family are from when i was 10 and i was getting called up and not enjoying the games and being away with the squads im sure i would be much more likely to decide I didn't want to go and take part rather than forcing myself to do it as i wanted to represent scotland. so yes i do believe that.

With Feruz that might be true

My question was more the general statement that born and bred scots have more attachment than those who are not.

I'm not convinced that that statement is strictly true - plenty of player examples (Duncan Ferguson, James McCarthy and dozens more) prove otherwise, and you just have to dip into fans forums of Scottish football clubs to realise that many born and bred Scots are not proud to be so.

With Feruz that might be true

My question was more the general statement that born and bred scots have more attachment than those who are not.

I'm not convinced that that statement is strictly true - plenty of player examples (Duncan Ferguson, James McCarthy and dozens more) prove otherwise, and you just have to dip into fans forums of Scottish football clubs to realise that many born and bred Scots are not proud to be so.

ok, yes i completely agree with you in that respect.

Feruz has tweeted or at least stated clearly that his dream would be to play for Somalia or Tanzania. I thought there was also an outside chance that he could qualify for Mozambique but I also believe that he could qualify to play for any of the home nations - England Wales or NI as well as Scotland. His shunning of his adopted country and the country that brought him up right through the whole youth international system seems a bit naff to me to be honest. I know he has asked or even said that he is not to be considered for Scotland squads annd turned down the chance of being blooded at full international level at a friendly game. To be honest, the boys heart is not anywhere near Scotland, he has a poor attitude and is really quite lazy on the park and really just not good enough... let him do what he wants and forget about him.

At least Feruz is not quite the same kind of a traitor as Aiden McGeady... but thats another story.

Show me a quote

So much rubbish in there ^^

Well if you can display any evidence of him showing he wants to play for us post-pulling out of 'that' squad then feel free.

I don't buy newspapers so pay no attention there and I only go on facts before me. He turned down joining a Scotland squad to go on a youth tournament in the Far East of Chelsea that is regarded as fact. The Celtic affair (regardless of how the papers report it) left Celtic miffed by the player's lack of loyalty considering the lengths they had not only gone to but achieved by preventing him and his family being deported. The fact he was so swift to flee Celtic puts his loyalty into question and displays that such a trait is there. Other clues to his bad attitude seem apparent as in Blackpool sent him back to his club pretty sharpish and he has been on loan at two other clubs with no success whatsoever.

So in the absense of evidence that he doesn't want to play for us even tho he has in the past, you want evidence that he does want to because without it he definitely doesn't want to? Seriously?

"I don't buy newspapers so pay no attention there" yet in your post right before this one you opened with "Well rumours were afoot in newspapers".

You can't use them as evidence to support your case, then dismiss them when it suits you.

"He turned down joining a Scotland squad to go on a youth tournament in the Far East of Chelsea that is regarded as fact."

Yep. #1 How many other players have done similar? Been given leave from squads to do something with their club. Jack Harper seems to regularly miss squads because Real's doing something. Why is it different because it's Feruz? #2 Who was the manager at the time? Was it Stark? As a young player, would you rather go away with your club and try and catch you club managers eye, kick start your career and guarantee yourself involvement in senior internationals in the future, or go lose horribly due to the ineptness of Billy Stark?

"Other clues to his bad attitude"

Yeah, he seems to have a bad attitude.. but he's 19. a lot of kids at big clubs have attitudes at that age. But, thinking he's a big time charlie doesn't automatically mean he's turned his back on Scotland.

Fact is, we don't have any facts about whether he's turned his back on Scotland, else someone would have been bloody minded enough to go find them and post them all over this thread. So all we have is context.

> He's played for us before

> He wants to play international football at some point in the future.

> He pulled out of a squad (as many do)

> The media created a furore over it, potentially forming a rift between him and the SFA which may or may not have been resolved.

> There's a lot of butt-hurt Celtic fans who'd like him to fail because in their minds he's a traitor.

> This might all be irrelevant as he might never be good enough for a call up anyway.

So am I surprised there's people saying he's quit without evidence? no.

Am I going to say he's quit until there's evidence? no.

So in the absense of evidence that he doesn't want to play for us even tho he has in the past, you want evidence that he does want to because without it he definitely doesn't want to? Seriously?

"I don't buy newspapers so pay no attention there" yet in your post right before this one you opened with "Well rumours were afoot in newspapers".

You can't use them as evidence to support your case, then dismiss them when it suits you.

"He turned down joining a Scotland squad to go on a youth tournament in the Far East of Chelsea that is regarded as fact."

Yep. #1 How many other players have done similar? Been given leave from squads to do something with their club. Jack Harper seems to regularly miss squads because Real's doing something. Why is it different because it's Feruz? #2 Who was the manager at the time? Was it Stark? As a young player, would you rather go away with your club and try and catch you club managers eye, kick start your career and guarantee yourself involvement in senior internationals in the future, or go lose horribly due to the ineptness of Billy Stark?

"Other clues to his bad attitude"

Yeah, he seems to have a bad attitude.. but he's 19. a lot of kids at big clubs have attitudes at that age. But, thinking he's a big time charlie doesn't automatically mean he's turned his back on Scotland.

Fact is, we don't have any facts about whether he's turned his back on Scotland, else someone would have been bloody minded enough to go find them and post them all over this thread. So all we have is context.

> He's played for us before

> He wants to play international football at some point in the future.

> He pulled out of a squad (as many do)

> The media created a furore over it, potentially forming a rift between him and the SFA which may or may not have been resolved.

> There's a lot of butt-hurt Celtic fans who'd like him to fail because in their minds he's a traitor.

> This might all be irrelevant as he might never be good enough for a call up anyway.

So am I surprised there's people saying he's quit without evidence? no.

Am I going to say he's quit until there's evidence? no.

Good points :ok:

Yep. #1 How many other players have done similar?

Alex Davey went to the same tournament but he doesn't seem to be getting anything like the grief that Feruz does. Then again Feruz "owes" Scotland.

In hindsight, his decision to go to the tournament with Chelsea may have been to do with his jacket being on a shoogly peg at the Bridge.

Of course I point to it being in papers but that is irrelevant. The fact he is he never showed up in the squad. If you are claiming he never said he didn't want to be in the squad (yet papers reported this) I have heard no denial from him that he opted out. So you can say that proves nothing- fair enough. So why was there also no move from anyone in the national team setup shooting down these 'false rumours' as surely they would have done?

The Celtic issue offers evidence of lack of a loyal streak in him - I don't think that is open for debate. I say that not lightly as it was a unique case. It wasn't just another youngster with ambition wanting to better himself as there was the unique instance that Celtic moved heaven and earth to stop him and his family from being deported and succeeded - surely that alone deserves a tad more loyalty from him? And no I am not a Celtic fan.

That is evidence questioning he can be loyal and his being dropped quick style by other clubs tells us he has underlying problems within him.

Those things don't paint a pretty picture of him.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Of course I point to it being in papers but that is irrelevant. The fact he is he never showed up in the squad. If you are claiming he never said he didn't want to be in the squad (yet papers reported this) I have heard no denial from him that he opted out. So you can say that proves nothing- fair enough. So why was there also no move from anyone in the national team setup shooting down these 'false rumours' as surely they would have done?

The Celtic issue offers evidence of lack of a loyal streak in him - I don't think that is open for debate. I say that not lightly as it was a unique case. It wasn't just another youngster with ambition wanting to better himself as there was the unique instance that Celtic moved heaven and earth to stop him and his family from being deported and succeeded - surely that alone deserves a tad more loyalty from him? And no I am not a Celtic fan.

That is evidence questioning he can be loyal and his being dropped quick style by other clubs tells us he has underlying problems within him.

Those things don't paint a pretty picture of him.

My brain hasn't hurt as much reading something since I read the first chapter of The Sound and the Fury.

Think before he even contemplates International Football for anyone, he needs to sort his own career out first. Getting his loan deals to an unknown Greek side and a rank rotten Championship side abruptly cut short tells its own story and there's no way Chelsea will keep on a player who's made zero impact when being sent on loan. If he does turn his career around and make an impact at a decent level, then by all means make a statement on who he wants to play for at International level.

• 3 months later...