Big Scrap - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Big Scrap

wembley67lisbon

I had to apologise to an ireland fan at parkhead who was verbally assaulted at Parkhead and yes I told the Scotland fan where to get off.

He was in jeans and never seen him before and likely to ever see him again (hopefully). I am just not into the casual thing and it has no place at a scotland game.

The amount of guys in burberry was even greater at the england game.

Glad we are back at hampden, Celtic park had a large % of neds but I think was more to do with the opposition than the venue.

Edited by Robroysboy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to apologise to an ireland fan at parkhead who was verbally assaulted at Parkhead and yes I told the Scotland fan where to get off.

He was in jeans and never seen him before and likely to ever see him again (hopefully). I am just not into the casual thing and it has no place at a scotland game.

The amount of guys in burberry was even greater at the england game.

Glad we are back at hampden, Celtic park had a large % of neds but I think was more to do with the opposition than the venue.

Jeans have no place at a Scotland game?

Maybe we don't all want to dress like something off a shortbread tin. I wear a tartan scarf to games, home and away. I don't need some sad act like you to tell me what's allowed to be worn at a game.

Plenty of complete James Hunts in full Highland regalia at every game.

Maybe we don't all want to dress like something off a shortbread tin. I wear a tartan scarf to games, home and away. I don't need some sad act like you to tell me what's allowed to be worn at a game.

True, but this particular character was straight out of green street.

I normally wear a kilt but sometimes I don't if I'm going to Hampden straight from work or something.

It might be my imagination but there does seem to be a bit of a 'you're not a proper Scotland fan if you're wearing trousers' vibe from some people.

As if it matters what you're wearing.

I normally wear a kilt but sometimes I don't if I'm going to Hampden straight from work or something.

It might be my imagination but there does seem to be a bit of a 'you're not a proper Scotland fan if you're wearing trousers' vibe from some people.

Each to their own, :ok:

It's certainly not your imagination.

So the fans of the 70s weren't proper Scotland fans ; jeans , tartan scarfs round the wrists and huge Windsor round the kneck a la Bay city rollers ; kilts being more of a rarity back then

Even at 90 WC ; tops & shorts were more common

Euro 92 May of been the highland watershed

Has anyone seen that guy who goes to Celtic away games in that green and white hooped skirt? :rollsmile:

So the fans of the 70s weren't proper Scotland fans ; jeans , tartan scarfs round the wrists and huge Windsor round the kneck a la Bay city rollers ; kilts being more of a rarity back then

Even at 90 WC ; tops & shorts were more common

Euro 92 May of been the highland watershed

And the "Remember Bannockburn" flags !!

Jeans & Scotland top for this fan.

I understand talking to the older TA kilts only became more popular post braveheart with Mel Gibson, released 1995.

Would not even say as early as that..... I remember when wearing a kilt to a friendly match at Hampden as late as the early 2000's was some what frowned upon, and would say it was post-Brussels invasion in 2001 that it became the norm.

Absolute nonsence Clark.

My first couple of away games (Ireland, Latvia, San Marino in 2000) I would say it was a straight 50-50 between folk in kilts and folk in normal clothes.....with the kilt saved for qualifiers at home (not saying folk didn't wear them, just was not in great numbers, especially at freindlies), but was round about the game I mentioned where it started to take off.

Bunch of guys behind us where giving it all that rubbish throughout the whole match..,,, mate beside me was really holding himself back from turning around and giving them what for.

Got to be said that from this post by Hans Christian Andersen onwards, this has been the best thread on the TAMB for absolutely ages. On the various subjects covered in it and the responses. More, please?!

Would not even say as early as that..... I remember when wearing a kilt to a friendly match at Hampden as late as the early 2000's was some what frowned upon, and would say it was post-Brussels invasion in 2001 that it became the norm.

Erm, I can remember there being tons of kilts at RP in 1997 vs Estonia.

Erm, I can remember there being tons of kilts at RP in 1997 vs Estonia.

So do I (as I was in mine that day), but it was not on the levels we get today..... my memory of it was kilts were saved for the away games and finals.... then started creeping into the home qualifiers, but not of the levels it has been over the last 15 or so years) and then into home friendlies on large numbers.

Braveheart (and Euro 96) woke up something within the TA, but it was not a over night thing and creeped in over the next few years (away from Euro 96 and France 98, Brussels in 2001 was the first large scale kilted invasion)

Edited by wanderer