Strachan's Most Valuable Player So Far In This Campaign ? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan's Most Valuable Player So Far In This Campaign ?

Robroysboy

2e18v4m.jpg

Wee shaun has scored ( or contributed to a goal) in every game this campaign except for the first game in dortmund.

Pretty sure he was awarded the goal vs Goegia at ibrox although it took a deflection on way in, goal 1

he scored in warsaw, goal 2

at home to ireland, goal 3

two penalties vs gibraltar, goals 4 and 5

and again was involved in the goal in dublin. Again I don't know if he was officially awarded the goal. Maybe goal number 6?

If we do go and qualify for france 2016, will shaun's contribution to finding the net acknowledged?

If he can go on and score in all four remaining game, Georgia away, Germany at home, Poland at home and Gibraltar away it would be a remarkable achievement.

Fantastic player and strachan seems to be getting the best of of him. :ok:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't get the Georgia or Ireland away goals awarded.

Stepped up with Snodgrass being injured and contributing more than any individual player in a campaign that I've been part of, including Faddy in 2008.

Cheers wasn't sure If he got them, 4 this campaign it is then. But he must take alot of credit in my eyes for the other two.

Hoping he can stay fit and not get jet lagged when coming over from the MLS.

I'd never been a fan, but since that game in Macedonia (probably even earlier) he's been absolutely massive for us.

Also don't think the Ireland goal has been determined by UEFA yet.

If we qualify then he will be one of the players that made it possible. Really looking forward to having Snodgrass back - assuming he gets back into the player he was for us a year ago.

We shouldn't be fearing Georgia but rather targeting them as the perfect opportunity to get our form back on track. Get Robertson and Anya back in the starting 11. Also wouldn't be fearful of allowing Griffiths to play ahead of Fletcher, because in all honesty he gave us nothing like what he's capable of on Saturday. At least Griffiths will give you a channel and run out of people.

Unlike Fletcher, he's also scored some goals this season too.

I'd never been a fan, but since that game in Macedonia (probably even earlier) he's been absolutely massive for us.

Also don't think the Ireland goal has been determined by UEFA yet.

If we qualify then he will be one of the players that made it possible. Really looking forward to having Snodgrass back - assuming he gets back into the player he was for us a year ago.

We shouldn't be fearing Georgia but rather targeting them as the perfect opportunity to get our form back on track. Get Robertson and Anya back in the starting 11. Also wouldn't be fearful of allowing Griffiths to play ahead of Fletcher, because in all honesty he gave us nothing like what he's capable of on Saturday. At least Griffiths will give you a channel and run out of people.

Unlike Fletcher, he's also scored some goals this season too.

Agree on on almost all points.

I'd like to Griffiths have a shot but still think Fletcher is our best striker overall. I'd still have tried out Griffiths in one our the recent games.

I think after the forsyth and ritchie debacle we wont see any suprises for the rest of the campaign unless we have injuries/suspensions and someone comes in out of the blue, i could see griffiths coming on after 60 mins if we are struggling for a goal though in georgia, as much as i rate him he wouldnt have been any use against ireland with how the game went

Edited by LewisEDI

It's no coincidence that we're seeing the best of Maloney in a Scotland shirt at a time when Strachan is the manager, he got the best out of him at Celtic too. There were reasons why it didn't work for him under previous managers, such as Smith/McLeish preferring Lee McCulloch, Burley being clueless and Levein asking him to be defensive minded whereas Strachan has given him more freedom and it's paying off.

When Strachan was appointed, Maloney was the player I was expecting Strachan to get the most out of and good to see it is being the case :ok:

Still has the occasional off game, but when he is playing then I feel Scotland plays, and that 3 man partnership of Nasimith, Maloney and Anya is really key to our success I feel.

Agree with Norsefox.

He's taken a lot of criticism over the last few years, but under Strachan he's been superb.

Strachan seems to use him less as an out and out winger, and more as an extra forward tucked in behind Fletcher and Naismith.

I'm glad to have been proved wrong....well done Sean.

Maloney has been great and Strachan has really got the best out of him. Both Strachan and Maloney must have alot of respect for each other as im sure Maloney asked him for advice regarding his move to Chicago.

Special mention to Anya and big Russell Martin who has been excellent this campaign

Much as Maloney has been key to several goals and has been noticeable in that respect along with Anya - for me the two valuable players are Russell Martin who is the first organiser of thee defence since Davie Weir , but secondly and the most important is Broonie. Strachan seems to have a way of getting him to keep the heid and concentrate in being effective with just enough menace.

On the negative side - I h=just don't get Steven Fletcher. His partnership with Naismith just doesn't work. Both of them were pish on Saturday. Naismith at least looks like he is trying but gave the ball away too much - Fletcher could have been replaced by most of the TA at the game and no-one would have noticed any different.

Much as Maloney has been key to several goals and has been noticeable in that respect along with Anya - for me the two valuable players are Russell Martin who is the first organiser of thee defence since Davie Weir , but secondly and the most important is Broonie. Strachan seems to have a way of getting him to keep the heid and concentrate in being effective with just enough menace.

On the negative side - I h=just don't get Steven Fletcher. His partnership with Naismith just doesn't work. Both of them were pish on Saturday. Naismith at least looks like he is trying but gave the ball away too much - Fletcher could have been replaced by most of the TA at the game and no-one would have noticed any different.

Brown was "pish" on Saturday as well and Maloney missing largely for most of the first half.

Ten caps away from the big 50. (If we qualify) If he plays in all our games plus any friendlies, possibly play offs there is no reason why he couldn't make it to 50 caps by the end of next year.

Ten caps away from the big 50. (If we qualify) If he plays in all our games plus any friendlies, possibly play offs there is no reason why he couldn't make it to 50 caps by the end of next year.

Scrub that he has 41 caps. Hutton on 45 Brown on 45 Naismith 38, you would expect to see them all in the Hall of fame soon enough.

One of our best players on Saturday, IMO.

Was saying just that after the game. He is about to sign a 3 year contract at West Brom in the next few weeks apparently.

Agree, he was in the squad for best part of 2 years and never got a sniff.... suddenly being played out of force because we had nothing for Croatia.... all that time it was a case of "Martin will do until something better comes along", yet now a case of him being one of the first names on the team sheet every game.