Strachan's Most Valuable Player So Far In This Campaign ? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan's Most Valuable Player So Far In This Campaign ?

Robroysboy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the negative side - I h=just don't get Steven Fletcher. His partnership with Naismith just doesn't work. Both of them were pish on Saturday. Naismith at least looks like he is trying but gave the ball away too much - Fletcher could have been replaced by most of the TA at the game and no-one would have noticed any different.

I'm not sure why Fletcher would get such a hard time. He produced Scotland's best effort of the first half by far, and although he had limited service I'm not sure what a Griffiths, May, Martin or anyone else would have done differently that would have merited there selection even in hindsight.

I'm not sure why Fletcher would get such a hard time. He produced Scotland's best effort of the first half by far, and although he had limited service I'm not sure what a Griffiths, May, Martin or anyone else would have done differently that would have merited there selection even in hindsight.

He also came deep to help build a couple of attacks. I thought he worked pretty hard.

He also came deep to help build a couple of attacks. I thought he worked pretty hard.

As much as it frustrates me Fletcher fits the system and is the best man to do that job as it stands. I wish we had better players but we don't so we do what we can with what we have. That kinda sums Fletcher up for me!

Maloney's an odd one. His overall contribution during most of our games it pretty terrible. He was utterly absent in the first half against Ireland and only occasionally involved in the 2nd. But he pops up and creates a lucky goal. It makes him a vital player, but I'm not sure we should pretend he's a great player. He's having a lucky campaign and I hope it continues, but he's reminding me of Kris Boyd at the moment in terms of the criticism that can be levelled at him.. "doesn't do a lot but scores goals".

Maloney's an odd one. His overall contribution during most of our games it pretty terrible. He was utterly absent in the first half against Ireland and only occasionally involved in the 2nd. But he pops up and creates a lucky goal. It makes him a vital player, but I'm not sure we should pretend he's a great player. He's having a lucky campaign and I hope it continues, but he's reminding me of Kris Boyd at the moment in terms of the criticism that can be levelled at him.. "doesn't do a lot but scores goals".

Think that's a harsh comparison. Maloney does a hell of a lot or work off the ball that goes almost unnoticed, Strachan pointed out him appearing in right back position to head clear when McClean was about to head towards goal. Agree, he does drift in and out of games at times, like most creative players do, but he's been pivotal to our campaign so far.

As much as it frustrates me Fletcher fits the system and is the best man to do that job as it stands. I wish we had better players but we don't so we do what we can with what we have. That kinda sums Fletcher up for me!

More prolific strikers maybe but better players? He's probably the most naturally gifted in the squad and capable of the most fancy stuff. Stupid left footed flicks instead of tap in with right, included.

He didn't get the Georgia or Ireland away goals awarded.

Stepped up with Snodgrass being injured and contributing more than any individual player in a campaign that I've been part of, including Faddy in 2008.

Read in the current bun (Sun) the other day that he was awarded the Georgia goal at Ibrox.

But its not listed on wiki, so I think you are correct Paris :ok:

International goals[edit] Scores and results list Scotland's goal tally first Goal Date Venue Opponent Score Result Competition 1 6 June 2007[70]Svangaskard, Toftir, Faroe Islands 21px-Flag_of_the_Faroe_Islands.svg.pngFaroe Islands 1–0 2–0 UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying 2 10 September 2013[71]Philip II Arena, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 23px-Flag_of_Macedonia.svg.pngMacedonia 2–1 2–1 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying 3 14 October 2014[72]Stadion Narodowy, Warsaw, Poland 23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.pngPoland 1–1 2–2 UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying 4 14 November 2014[69]Celtic Park, Glasgow, Scotland 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngRepublic of Ireland 1–0 1–0 UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying 5 29 March 2015[73]Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland 23px-Flag_of_Gibraltar.svg.pngGibraltar 1–0 6–1 UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying 6 3–1

Edited by Robroysboy

More prolific strikers maybe but better players? He's probably the most naturally gifted in the squad and capable of the most fancy stuff. Stupid left footed flicks instead of tap in with right, included.

"Most technically gifted" who can't use his right foot? Disnae say much for the rest of them.

I've always been a huge fan. It's great to see him getting some acclaim. Maybe I watch a different game, but I think he rarely does little wrong in every match he does. He's not a battler/fighter type so he's not going to be one of those players, but it's fantastic to see him come on to a game in an international jersey and hearing some younger lads in the pub around 19/20 saying Maloney is their favourite player is pretty amazing really, to think that he's in the twilight of his career.

Also, he quite clearly loves playing for his country. He is a quiet guy, but his interviews in print or TV, he always beams about Scotland, also noticed the kissing of the badge etc a lot more since September.

Take a bow, and fingers crossed for France 2016.

Much as Maloney has been key to several goals and has been noticeable in that respect along with Anya - for me the two valuable players are Russell Martin who is the first organiser of thee defence since Davie Weir , but secondly and the most important is Broonie. Strachan seems to have a way of getting him to keep the heid and concentrate in being effective with just enough menace.

On the negative side - I h=just don't get Steven Fletcher. His partnership with Naismith just doesn't work. Both of them were pish on Saturday. Naismith at least looks like he is trying but gave the ball away too much - Fletcher could have been replaced by most of the TA at the game and no-one would have noticed any different.

Absolutely correct.

I've said it on here before and, once again, Fletcher was terrible !! If he would take a touch and hold the ball up, rather than trying to flick it on, every time (unsuccessfully), he might get on better. He really appears to think he is better than he is. Pity he didn't put in the same performance or effort that Walters did for Ireland. However, saying that, I really don't think we currently have any player who can play that role successfully. Griffiths is, without doubt, a good goalscorer in the SPL but I'm not sure he could play the role he would be asked to do for Scotland, as a hold up man, leading the line. A definite area of concern.

We all new Maloney had talent, he has scored massive goals in EPL. Iin particular i remember one for wigan vs man utd. Wigan won one nil and went on to stay up.

Prior to strachan maloney's performances were below average for scotland.

The players seem to go that extra mile, for strachan.

I presume shaun played under gordon at parkhead along with broonie.

To get the best out of your players you must not only like but respect the manager.

WGS seems to have this and france is still game on with 4 to play.

In GOrD we trust

Absolutely correct.

I've said it on here before and, once again, Fletcher was terrible !! If he would take a touch and hold the ball up, rather than trying to flick it on, every time (unsuccessfully), he might get on better. He really appears to think he is better than he is. Pity he didn't put in the same performance or effort that Walters did for Ireland. However, saying that, I really don't think we currently have any player who can play that role successfully. Griffiths is, without doubt, a good goalscorer in the SPL but I'm not sure he could play the role he would be asked to do for Scotland, as a hold up man, leading the line. A definite area of concern.

i think a lot of these flicks and turns he does that are a bit elaborate are because as everyone knows he has no right foot, there was on point in the second half against ireland when he had the ball played to him on the edge of the box on his right foot and he could probably have got a shot away but he tried to play a through ball pass with his left

I've always been a huge fan. It's great to see him getting some acclaim. Maybe I watch a different game, but I think he rarely does little wrong in every match he does. He's not a battler/fighter type so he's not going to be one of those players, but it's fantastic to see him come on to a game in an international jersey and hearing some younger lads in the pub around 19/20 saying Maloney is their favourite player is pretty amazing really, to think that he's in the twilight of his career.

Also, he quite clearly loves playing for his country. He is a quiet guy, but his interviews in print or TV, he always beams about Scotland, also noticed the kissing of the badge etc a lot more since September.

Take a bow, and fingers crossed for France 2016.

one of the few occasions i've rubbed shoulders , as it were with a player

used to work with his ma in Abdn ; 2001/2 i think - he donated a Larson signed photo to the works raffle (Henrik being huge back then)

and showed up at one of our works drinks nights , came over as very decent chap

think the run/set up for Snodgrass goal in last campaign (away to Croatia i think)changed a lot of peoples mind on him

Maloney has been key for his crucial goals and works himself into the ground. Naismith and brown work their arse off and brown in particular gives us that who the f**k you talking too attitude. Anya has been our out ball in tight games. I could go through most of the team like Martin Mulgrew and Marshall but everyone has played their part. No stand outs but a solid team effort. I'm afraid we don't have that one player who you look at and go "bloody hell!!"

Maloney has been key for his crucial goals and works himself into the ground. Naismith and brown work their arse off and brown in particular gives us that who the f**k you talking too attitude. Anya has been our out ball in tight games. I could go through most of the team like Martin Mulgrew and Marshall but everyone has played their part. No stand outs but a solid team effort. I'm afraid we don't have that one player who you look at and go "bloody hell!!"

One of our key strengths is that we are strong as a unit, I agree.

But if you HAD to pick a player out from the games played so far.

Who would it be ?

I have backed Maolney for his four goals ( Warsaw, celtic park, two against Gib) and two assists Ibrox and Aviva.

You could argue Broonie, Anya or Naismith. But its Shaun for me. :ok:

Can't call it. Probably Maloney alone for his goals. Without his goals we would be sunk. Lost in Poland, drew against Macedonia, Ireland and lost away. A simplistic way to look at it I know. Not saying someone else would not have stepped up but if you take Maloney away then we have 6 less points (depending on my maths??)

Replace Georgia with Macedonia ?