If We Do End Up In The Play-Offs... - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

If We Do End Up In The Play-Offs...

liviloyal

If we do have to go through the play offs, I hope the away game is on the weekend, as I have no holidays left!,!

Need to keep the points up for guaranteed finals tickets....

I've took one week off but how the play offs are played with this Thur- Sun or Fri-Mon pish it was a 50/50 gamble at the time booking time off. Worst case scenario I'll be making a few "mistakes" in the lead up then try and get a line from the doctors claiming stress

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I said as well. It's almost impossible for us to be best third place team.

Your original comment was that some teams currently in third in their group have played the team currently bottom of their group twice. That is A. To be expected and B. Completely irrelevant to what we are discussing.

How is it completely irrelevant? In some groups (not all) it is obvious what team is going to finish bottom (Andorra, San Marino and Gibraltar will all 100% finish bottom) so the points deducted by teams in that group will not change. I know that in other groups this may change so will change the points total.

The point of my post was to simply state that it is very unlikely we will finish as best 3rd place (which you agree with anyway but others on the thread were talking about it) team for two reasons - 1 we will have enough points to finish 1st or 2nd in the group or 2 if we do finish 3rd the points total we get will almost certainly not be enough to be the best 3rd place team. Ukraine for example have 4 games left that will contribute towards points for 3rd place (we only have 3). If they only win two of the 4 vs Belarus and Macedonia they will have a total of 12 points in the 3rd place table. If we get 6 more points that means we will beat Georgia plus one of aGermany or Poland so would almost certainly be enough for 2nd place in our group. Even if Luxembourg dont finish bottom in that group and Macedonia do then their points total will be the same with 2 wins v Belarus and Macedonia. They will have 12 points. We currently have 8. A win v Georgia would put us to 11. If we draw with Poland or Germany we would have 12 but it is likely their goal difference would be better than ours and as I said if we beat Poland or Germany as well as Georgia then we would probably finish 2nd in the group.

You're gonna miss a game when we qualify and go away for 2 friendly games in a warm weather camp!

Hopefully not. If we played 2 away friendlies pre tournament I would probably come home between games in France to make sure I have enough holidays for them and the possible 3 or 4 away qualifiers in Sep/Oct/Nov 16. It is also a new holiday year :ok:

This is a little erelivant however I'm just glad we are having debates about where we're going to finish and the optimism in these chats, by this point in our past campaigns we'd be down and out by now!! Let's aim for 1st/2nd but even if we end up 3rd there is no shame in that, we'll win the play-off and show the Euro's what they've been missing, the best fans in the world!!!

Edited by MikeyGC

This is a little erelivant however I'm just glad we are having debates about where we're going to finish and the optimism in these chats, by this point in our past campaigns we'd be down and out by now!! Let's aim for 1st/2nd but even if we end up 3rd there is no shame in that, we'll win the play-off and show the Euro's what they've been missing, the best fans in the world!!!

'The best fans in the world.'

Based on what?

Edited by dohadeer

let's cross the bridge when all the groups are complete eh? Last thing we want is someing trolling the board talking boot play affs when it's not clear where we'll finish yet.

You don't seem to understand what trolling means.

Also, if people want to discuss the ifs, buts and maybes of the qualifying process, what's wrong with that? Isn't that the point in this board?

You don't seem to understand what trolling means.

Also, if people want to discuss the ifs, buts and maybes of the qualifying process, what's wrong with that? Isn't that the point in this board?

it is but someone needs to keep other ppl in line

Obviously hoping for straight qualification, but we've now dropped away as the best placed third-place team putting us in a play-off position for the timebeing.

I didn't realise the play-offs were seeded on FIFA rankings as well, so on current positions:

Pot 1 - Holland, Russia, Scotland, Israel
Pot 2 - Hungary, Slovenia, Albania, Norway

Great to see we would be seeded along with Holland, that would be one team I would not want to play.

Still think privately Strachan will be telling his players, we can win this group. Tiblisi is HUGE win that and anything is possible against Germany and Poland at hampden.

Great to see we would be seeded along with Holland, that would be one team I would not want to play.

Still think privately Strachan will be telling his players, we can win this group. Tiblisi is HUGE win that and anything is possible against Germany and Poland at hampden.

I think this has been covered before but I believe the playoffs are seeded on the basis of Uefa national team coefficients which means we would not be seeded. Unless the third placed teams change dramatically that is.

Sod the playoffs anyway. Second place will do just fine.

I think this has been covered before but I believe the playoffs are seeded on the basis of Uefa national team coefficients which means we would not be seeded. Unless the third placed teams change dramatically that is.

Sod the playoffs anyway. Second place will do just fine.

like your confidence. :ok:

I'm not sure where my confidence has come from but I have a feeling we're going to do it this time.

Poland have the most difficult run in and I fancy us to take something from all of our remaining games. Three wins and a draw and it's party time.

So do I.

Symmetry with it being in France is our time to be back.