Sorry - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sorry

ScotlandFanMuir

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My money is on 0-0 away to Georgia

It's strange, I can remember a load of these games over the years away to former Soviet teams but usually early on in our qualifying group where 0-0 is a very likely score as the former Soviet team presumably fancies qualifying for the finals every bit as much as we do.

I still agree, 0-0 is a very likely outcome but perhaps we have a slightly better chance of winning given that Georgia can no longer qualify themselves.

On a related note, looking at all the groups it feels like the smaller former Soviet teams - ie apart from Russia and Ukraine - have gone backwards a bit. They seemed to be all building up a head of steam, gradually pushing towards one of them eventually qualifying but this time around they are all doing about as poorly as they could in their groups. Not sure what's happened there.

Edited by dohadeer

Again, sorry.

In my pessimism I've missed something out - if we win our next 3 games we'll probably be through automatically and have a nice little trip to Portugal to look forward too for a wee party.

I'm allowed to dream.

Nothing wrong with that. Clearly I'm not expecting it but I'd like to think we'll be going for a win in all our remaining games...

It's strange, I can remember a load of these games over the years away to former Soviet teams but usually early on in our qualifying group where 0-0 is a very likely score as the former Soviet team presumably fancies qualifying for the finals every bit as much as we do.

I still agree, 0-0 is a very likely outcome but perhaps we have a slightly better chance of winning given that Georgia can no longer qualify themselves.

On a related note, looking at all the groups it feels like the smaller former Soviet teams - ie apart from Russia and Ukraine - have gone backwards a bit. They seemed to be all building up a head of steam, gradually pushing towards one of them eventually qualifying but this time around they are all doing about as poorly as they could in their groups. Not sure what's happened there.

How on earth is 0-0 a very likely outcome? The last competitive game we played that ended goalless was Serbia 2012. The last competitive away game that was 0-0 was in Lithuania 2010!

The negativity on this page gets right on my Bristols sometimes.

Huge game , win it we have a great chance of at least third , that said we were poor v Georgia at Ibrox and struggled to beat them

We weren't poor in all areas. We controlled the game but didn't take our chances.

We play in a completely different style away from home. We will create more than Georgia again and as long as we take out chances we will win.

We drew with Macedonia at Hampden a couple of years ago and beat them away so struggling to score at Ibrox 11 months before the game in Tblisi is irrelevant.

How on earth is 0-0 a very likely outcome? The last competitive game we played that ended goalless was Serbia 2012. The last competitive away game that was 0-0 was in Lithuania 2010!

Surely most of the time it will be a cagey game where it's a case of can Scotland break Georgia down or not?

Given that we'd expect that sort of game - which hasn't been our strong point for a number of years as we lack attacking creativity - 0-0 is a very likely scoreline.

I think you may have misunderstood me a bit. I wasn't suggesting 0-0 was nailed on or anything like that, just that it's a very plausible outcome.

I'm with you on that. I just never understand the negativity.

In our 8 most recent away games we have beeN to -

Croatia - scored and won

Macedonia - scored twice and won

Norway - scored and won

Poland - scored and won

Poland - scored twice and drew

Germany - scored and unlucky to lose

England - scored twice and unlucky to lose

Ireland - scored and drew

Yet people think we can't score against a team ranked 139 in the world, way behind the likes of the Faroes.

I'm going 3-1

Croatia - scored and won

Norway - scored and won

Poland - scored and won

Yet people think we can't score against a team ranked 139 in the world, way behind the likes of the Faroes.

I'm going 3-1

With you on this pal..Too many folk on here keep harping back to the past.

We have moved on that game in Dublin summed that up for me..

Although Georgia cant be taken for granted and Gordon wont he knows they are there and beatable.

Surely most of the time it will be a cagey game where it's a case of can Scotland break Georgia down or not?

Given that we'd expect that sort of game - which hasn't been our strong point for a number of years as we lack attacking creativity - 0-0 is a very likely scoreline.

I think you may have misunderstood me a bit. I wasn't suggesting 0-0 was nailed on or anything like that, just that it's a very plausible outcome.

We haven't had a 0-0 away from home in a number of years. Stop living in the past, man. ;)

Likely and plausible are two completely different things. 0-4 Scotland is plausible but also unlikely.

0-0 is also plausible but if you look at our results over the last few years and look at Georgia's results in this group, it's also pretty unlikely.

1-2 or 0-1 to Scotland are far more likely.

Croatia - scored and won

Norway - scored and won

Poland - scored and won

I'm going 3-1

Spot on mate.

I'm not suggesting the game in Tblisi will be easy or anything like that. We will need to be disciplined and work extremely hard.

As long as we do that I reckon we will bag a couple of goals and with some level headed defending, we should win the game.

I'm going for 2-0 Scotland.

Croatia - scored and won

Norway - scored and won

Poland - scored and won

I'm going 3-1

Surely you can see the Georgia game is a different type of game to those you have listed though?

We, like most teams, play a 4-5-1 which is a strong counter-attacking formation which works well in tough away games and also suits the abundance of midfielders we have at our disposal. The Georgia game is going to require us to break down a weaker team which is a completely different type of game.

I'm not saying it will be 0-0 but obviously that is a distinct possibility.