Biggest Disappointment In A Scotland Jersey? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest Disappointment In A Scotland Jersey?

microdave

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe someone said Barry Ferguson. A great player if you forget about your hatred for Rangers. He was unfortunate to play in a terrible era. I'd have hate to known the depths we'd have sunk without him and McFadden during 00-08.

For me the day McLeish left as he continued on the work Walter Smith had started and got us close to qualifying again and to leave us for bloody Birmingham City!!!

Can't believe someone said Barry Ferguson. A great player if you forget about your hatred for Rangers.

I wasn't a massive fan of Ferguson and think his attitude let him down a little but to say he was a disappointment in a Scotland shirt is laughable. But then some saying McAllister, Souness and Fletcher.

I was brought up to always look at the positives in any situation. I hate negativity.

I'd say without McAllister we wouldn't have made Euro 92,Euro 96 or France 98. He was class all through the qualifications.

As for Souness, I still remember as a kid first going to watch Scotland and my dad saying to watch Souness closely, how easy he makes football look and the class he possess to completely run a match. I did and he didn't ever fail to deliver. Probably one of the greatest midfielders in history and not just Scotlands

Fletcher? a man who plays through injuries and illness, turns up to offer help and support to the squad even when he can't play. Unbelievable! !

They should rename this thread, who can make the biggest arse of themselves by showing how little they know about the game.

I wasn't a massive fan of Ferguson and think his attitude let him down a little but to say he was a disappointment in a Scotland shirt is laughable. But then some saying McAllister, Souness and Fletcher.

I was brought up to always look at the positives in any situation. I hate negativity.

I'd say without McAllister we wouldn't have made Euro 92,Euro 96 or France 98. He was class all through the qualifications.

As for Souness, I still remember as a kid first going to watch Scotland and my dad saying to watch Souness closely, how easy he makes football look and the class he possess to completely run a match. I did and he didn't ever fail to deliver. Probably one of the greatest midfielders in history and not just Scotlands

Fletcher? a man who plays through injuries and illness, turns up to offer help and support to the squad even when he can't play. Unbelievable! !

They should rename this thread, who can make the biggest arse of themselves by showing how little they know about the game.

100% agree - to claim McAllister and Souness were disappointments in a Scotland shirt is almost too ridiculous for words. If it hadn't been for McAllister's brilliant performances we would not have qualified for EURO 96 and agree he was very influential in EURO 92 and France 98. McAllister was brilliant for Scotland.

And Souness was one of the finest Scotland players ever - in his autobiography he admits to picking and choosing some games but when he played he was more often than not excellent for Scotland.

Jim Murphy

:-))

Duncan Ferguson for me. If we had him for Euro 96, we would have qualified from a section for the first time. Durie and Gallagher were never dangerous enough.

Not to mention John Spencer, Tony Adams must've been trembling at the thought of facing him.

Big Dunc would be my pick too, thought we had ourselves a top class international centre forward when he emerged.

Alan Hansen, brilliant for Liverpool but very poor for Scotland. I seem to remember him getting subbed at half time v Norway at Hampden in a game we had to get a point in, Never did it for me.

Steve Archibald, Mark McGee, Charlie Nicholas, Derek Parlane are all examples of great goal scorers who never quite cut it for us. Paul Mcstay is another, great player and lovely guy but was mediocre at best for Scotland which was a real shame. Goalkeeper wise my biggest disappointment was Stuart Kennedy, he was a really brilliant keeper for Rangers but in a Scotland jersey he was a disaster

:-))

Not to mention John Spencer, Tony Adams must've been trembling at the thought of facing him.

Big Dunc would be my pick too, thought we had ourselves a top class international centre forward when he emerged.

Agree with this, big Dunc would have caused Adams and the English defence so many problems. Only thing the 96 team was missing was a better presence up front.

Think we would have beaten England in the 99 play-off too had big Dunc played.

Problem I always found when we played Ferguson was we would revert to Wimbledon style boot it up the park for Ferguson, when our strength at the time was being able to keep possession.

This is alright if your striker was able to put himself about and have a eye for goal, yet Ferguson was not like this and would lose interest in chasing balls being set up for him in the air after 10 or 15 minutes.

We played good football at the time, yet as soon as Ferguson was put into the team we seemed to play terrible.

Saying that, I think Vogts would have got the best out of Ferguson if he had been able to get him into his team.

Andy Gray, was one for me although not getting picked at times or played, didn't help his cause much. In 1978 he was the PFA player of the Year and Young Player of the Year, in the recent Ally McLeod bio it suggests that Ally was told by Ron Saunders, Aston Villa manager, that Gray was injured prior to Argentina '78. I am not convinced by that, it was noticeable that McLeod never played prior to the World Cup either.

Kevin Kyle,Jamie Mackie,Charlie Adam there are three straight away seriously shouldn't have pulled on the jersey

Add to that Matt Ritchie...............

I'm with you on Kyle and Adam but Mackie was never that good a player and most folk hadn't heard of Ritchie until a couple of months ago. Their poor performances couldn't have been that much of a surprise.

Adam has never kicked a ball for Scotland. He has had some shocking performances.

The first 70 caps that Kenny Dalglish got were nowhere near as good as the last 30. He never seemed to play as well for Scotland as he did for Celtic or Liverpool. Not being a fan of either team, I only saw him on the box for them and mibbies they only showed the good bits on TV but I went to all the Scotland games and got to see 90 minutes. I think he got better with age for Scotland.

The first 70 caps that Kenny Dalglish got were nowhere near as good as the last 30. He never seemed to play as well for Scotland as he did for Celtic or Liverpool. Not being a fan of either team, I only saw him on the box for them and mibbies they only showed the good bits on TV but I went to all the Scotland games and got to see 90 minutes. I think he got better with age for Scotland.

Dalglish himself says the same.

On a regular basis Alan Hutton

That is just nonsense. Hutton has been very good for Scotland over the years. To suggest otherwise is just bizarre. Granted he has had a couple of poor games but overall has done a fine job, even during times he wasn't playing much club football. Strange suggestion.

No mention of Kris Boyd yet. Spl record goalscorer. Throws dummy out the pram when he was arguably playing at his best for a pretty good Rangers team.

He's an over weight Elmer Phud now but he could have been banging the goals in against the likes of Iceland, Norway, Macedonia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein etc. boost confidence in the team and goal difference.

On a side note biggest personal disappointment was when I turned to a mate in THE Norway game and said "see this guy Chris Iwelumo, he's actually been playing well this season and could really do well for us (had a few beers by the way) he could be like a Scottish Drogba!"