Biggest Disappointment In A Scotland Jersey? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest Disappointment In A Scotland Jersey?

microdave

On a side note biggest personal disappointment was when I turned to a mate in THE Norway game and said "see this guy Chris Iwelumo, he's actually been playing well this season and could really do well for us (had a few beers by the way) he could be like a Scottish Drogba!"

Chris Iwelumo :yikes3::shocked:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2010 WC campaign not getting the play off. Burley was useless and that was a piss easy group. Norway :( !!!

The biggest disappointment for me was that we had the same players who came so close in such a tough group for 2008. Burley tried to make changes and failed miserably.

Players who were exceptional at club level but didnt quite replicate that on International stage; John Collins, Gary McAllister, Paul McStay. Not criticising them as they are some top quality players but we probably didnt qualify for enough torunaments while these guys were playing. USA 94, Euro 2000 (Okay McStay was finished then) But these are tournaments we fully should have been at given the squads we had

In terms of the relative success of his club career, it would have to be Archibald for me.

Nicholas was obviously a big disappointment, but so was his club career.

Someone mentioned Andy Gray. I think he just suffered from being around at the same time as big Joe which limited his chances.

In terms of the relative success of his club career, it would have to be Archibald for me.

Nicholas was obviously a big disappointment, but so was his club career.

Someone mentioned Andy Gray. I think he just suffered from being around at the same time as big Joe which limited his chances.

Aye, we had a few options up front around that time.

Andy Gray didn't endear himself to Big Jock either when he celebrated getting a penalty for a dive against Norway. Not that that would have stopped Jock picking him (as he did on quite a few occasions after that) but when weighing him up against somebody else, that incident would have been in the back of his mind. Although we won the game that night, Stein was not happy with Andy Gray's antics.

Aye, we had a few options up front around that time.

Andy Gray didn't endear himself to Big Jock either when he celebrated getting a penalty for a dive against Norway. Not that that would have stopped Jock picking him (as he did on quite a few occasions after that) but when weighing him up against somebody else, that incident would have been in the back of his mind. Although we won the game that night, Stein was not happy with Andy Gray's antics.

11 goals in 51 appearances, Jordan was some goal machine right enough.

11 goals in 51 appearances, Jordan was some goal machine right enough.

To be fair to Jordan aaid, there was a helluva lot more to his game than just goals. He did tend to score pretty important ones too. You also have to factor in the perennial inability of Scotland to produce a goal machine in the way other countries have. Even Dalglish and the Lawman's scoring ratios aren't over impressive.

I don't remember him being that good. I am getting on a bit though. ;)

Also, I'm not an Aberdeen fan.

I do seem to remember his 'big' move to Coventry being a bit of a disaster.

He was a bit of an enigma in that in some games he was on fire for Aberdeen

Used to watch a lot back then

Was disappointed with his games for Scotland tho

; he did seem like a wee loon v Baresi at ibrox

He should have prob moved south sooner ; as stagnating in a (by then) declining Dons team

; went to Bradford initially I think

He had a leg break v Clydebank - not sure if that had affected his progress

He was scoring 3s and 4s in games when he first came on scene

He excelled with some of the more cultured players about him ; Bett,Connor,gilhaus,mason,nicholAs etc

Not so sure he was as suited to the hard graft and industrial football

Him and Booth seemed to struggle up against brown , McPherson etc when it really mattered

I'm not saying Jess wasn't a decent player, but does he deserve to mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Archibald, Nicholas, Gray, Hansen and the like?

I mean ultimately he achieved the square root of eff all at club level.

He was a bit of an enigma in that in some games he was on fire for Aberdeen

Used to watch a lot back then

Was disappointed with his games for Scotland tho

; he did seem like a wee loon v Baresi at ibrox

He should have prob moved south sooner ; as stagnating in a (by then) declining Dons team

; went to Bradford initially I think

He had a leg break v Clydebank - not sure if that had affected his progress

He was scoring 3s and 4s in games when he first came on scene

He excelled with some of the more cultured players about him ; Bett,Connor,gilhaus,mason,nicholAs etc

Not so sure he was as suited to the hard graft and industrial football

Him and Booth seemed to struggle up against brown , McPherson etc when it really mattered

He went to Coventry and then returned to Aberdeen before going to Bradford.

To be fair to Jordan aaid, there was a helluva lot more to his game than just goals. He did tend to score pretty important ones too. You also have to factor in the perennial inability of Scotland to produce a goal machine in the way other countries have. Even Dalglish and the Lawman's scoring ratios aren't over impressive.

I'll agre with you on Dalglish but Law's record of 30 in 55 is pretty decent at International level.

IMHO Jordan gets accorded a legendary status because he scored memorable goals - in particular against Czechoslovakia and in the WC finals which is far in excess of his actual overall contribution.

I'll agre with you on Dalglish but Law's record of 30 in 55 is pretty decent at International level.

IMHO Jordan gets accorded a legendary status because he scored memorable goals - in particular against Czechoslovakia and in the WC finals which is far in excess of his actual overall contribution.

Fair points aaid.