Biggest Disappointment In A Scotland Jersey? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest Disappointment In A Scotland Jersey?

microdave

11 goals in 51 appearances, Jordan was some goal machine right enough.

I never mentioned Joe Jordan. He was only one of the guys Andy Gray was competing against for a place in the team. My point was that annoying Jock Stein didn't help his case.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:-))

Not to mention John Spencer, Tony Adams must've been trembling at the thought of facing him.

Big Dunc would be my pick too, thought we had ourselves a top class international centre forward when he emerged.

Mibee it's just my memory playing tricks but I am sure I saw Adams interviewed on TV shortly before Euro '96 basically saying he was relieved that Ferguson was injured and thus unavailable for selection.

Another England centre-half, Rio Ferdinand, apparently said in his autobiography that the single toughest opponent he had faced in the EPL had been Duncan Ferguson. What a class act he could have been.

So it's another vote for slam Dunc from me, very closely followed by Brian McClair, who banged in goals for fun for Manchester United but couldn't hit a coo's erse with a banjo in a Scotland shirt.

Of the current crop, it's a close run thing between Charlie Adam and Steven Fletcher.

John Collins, Gary McAllister, Paul McStay. Not criticising them as they are some top quality players but we probably didnt qualify for enough torunaments while these guys were playing.

:blink: They helped get us to 3 World Cups and 2 Euros in 12 years. We've qualified for nothing since they stopped playing.

:blink: They helped get us to 3 World Cups and 2 Euros in 12 years. We've qualified for nothing since they stopped playing.

Good old Mr Poke, bringing facts to the discussion... :love:

no good will come of that I tell ya........ :ok::ok:

Ha ha. ProudScot does make some spectacularly incorrect statements at time.

The 1990-1998 period contained our only two Euro qualifications and was generally our best qualification period ever.

Edited by Marky

Probably more to do with more qualification places becoming available at a time when emerging nations were just organising themselves.

True to an extent but we still managed to get the job done. Not many similar sized established European countries had as good a qualification record over the same period...

True to an extent but we still managed to get the job done. Not many similar sized established European countries had as good a qualification record over the same period...

Also don't forget Euro 92 only had 8 qualification places. Arguably our greatest achievement ever.

Ha ha. ProudScot does make some spectacularly incorrect statements at time.

The 1990-1998 period contained our only two Euro qualifications and was generally our best qualification period ever.

When it was much easier to qualify for a tournament due to there being far less countries...

When it was much easier to qualify for a tournament due to there being far less countries...

Whilst I agree there are far more countries in qualification, it could be argued that a large percentage of them are 4th, 5th and 6th seeds, which we should be beating comfortably anyway to have any hope of qualifying (and I know that we are only 4th seeds ourselves - thanks to Mr. Burley and Mr. Levein.

Probably more to do with more qualification places becoming available at a time when emerging nations were just organising themselves.

Czech Republic got to the final of Euro 96, Croatia got to the semi-final of France 98.

Czech Republic got to the final of Euro 96, Croatia got to the semi-final of France 98.

Would hardly say Czech Republic was a emerging nation, as probably the bulk of the Czechoslovakia team (who had reached the quarter finals of the World Cup in 1990) were Czech (effectively same team, just under a different name and minus a few players who were now Slovak)

Same kind of can be said about Croatia, as probably the vast majority of the Yugoslavia team were made up of Serbs and Croats.... plus Yugoslavia had won the 1987 youth World Cup, with a predominantly Croat team who went on to form the 1998 team for Croatia (Jarni, Stimac, Boban, Prosinecki, Suker etc....)

Edited by wanderer

The tournaments were smaller too though. Look at our 90s record:

WC90- Had to knock out France and Norway.

Euro92- Had to win a group including Romania, Bulgaria and Switzerland.

WC94- Our only failure, but a stinker of a group including Italy, Portugal and the Swiss again.

Euro96- Expanded to 16 teams giving us a better chance and we got a good draw, was a straight shoot out between us and the Greeks. Still we did what we had to do.

WC98- Again a favourable draw, any 2 from us, Sweden or Austria. But we got the job done, something we have failed to do from similarly difficult groups in the past decade or so...

WC94 was where I felt we became a victim of our own "success" of qualifying for WC's up to that point and Euro 92 being the icing on the cake, as IIRC we were 2nd seeds that time around, and got a stinker of a group as you said, with what felt like the top team out of each pot.

Steve Archibald has to be one of the all-time disappointments: one of the top scorers in Scotland, when we had a great league, England and Spain, yet dismally mince for us when he was being supplied by some of the finest players in Europe.

Although Graeme Sharp was awful for us, I don't count him as a disappointment, as I never thought he was quite up to international level, and I believe the man himself believes this to be the case, too.

Similarly, I don't think Duncan Ferguson was that good, either.

Alan Hansen was, however, a huge let-down: pish on the park for us while brilliant for Liverpool, heart never seemed to be in it and wouldn't even advise Jock Stein on how to mark Ian Rush in a World Cup qualifier.

Joe Jordan was most certainly not a disappointment: his goalscoring record disguies the fact that: a) he was never a prolific scorer, and wasn't in the Scotland team to do that job primarily, and B) he contributed to a huge number of goals for other people.

Steve Archibald has to be one of the all-time disappointments: one of the top scorers in Scotland, when we had a great league, England and Spain, yet dismally mince for us when he was being supplied by some of the finest players in Europe.

Although Graeme Sharp was awful for us, I don't count him as a disappointment, as I never thought he was quite up to international level, and I believe the man himself believes this to be the case, too.

Similarly, I don't think Duncan Ferguson was that good, either.

Alan Hansen was, however, a huge let-down: pish on the park for us while brilliant for Liverpool, heart never seemed to be in it and wouldn't even advise Jock Stein on how to mark Ian Rush in a World Cup qualifier.

Joe Jordan was most certainly not a disappointment: his goalscoring record disguies the fact that: a) he was never a prolific scorer, and wasn't in the Scotland team to do that job primarily, and B) he contributed to a huge number of goals for other people.

Thank you.

I think you're maybe the only one to mention him after I did early on.