Here We Go Again - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Here We Go Again

Hertsscot

I just think youre a bunch of feartys !! You never know, you could make the kit the national home kit that qualified , blue for Scotland etc. that way you might get to see the dark blue at a tournament again ;-)

Womens football is never going to jeopardise your international status IMHO, anyway you voted to stay so why should the English womens team suffer !!

Because that's the way it is. At the end of the day Uefa and Fifa have stated that it would need the backing of all 4 associations and it isn't getting 3 of them so accept it and move on.

When GB played at the Olympics in London I supported everyone who they played against.

no room for team GB in football.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know how Team GB women could qualify for Rio?

I'm pretty sure the men can't as they don't compete as Team GB in the accepted qualification tournament. The reason there were teams in 2012 was due to them being hosts and getting automatic slots...

I'm pretty sure the men can't as they don't compete as Team GB in the accepted qualification tournament. The reason there were teams in 2012 was due to them being hosts and getting automatic slots...

for the avoidance of doubt mens football has absolutely no place at the olympics and rightly the FA i believe has said that 2012 was a one off, Women's football however does (IMHO) and i bet if you asked the ladies of the other three associations teams they would like nothing more than to playoff for the right to represent Britian. so ahead of however you qualify, names in hat with two games with the winners playing off for the right to enter qualification. dont see what the issue is.

The best comment on this thread was about it being "arrogant and not taking no for an answer" i'd love to see the response if i used that about the TAMBs favourite topic !! (and no not Rangers!)

There are numerous examples of countries seeking and gaining their independence, it's a normal state of affairs.

It's completely different to one national association wanting the rules - that all other national associations adhere to - changed to suit their own agenda.

for the avoidance of doubt mens football has absolutely no place at the olympics and rightly the FA i believe has said that 2012 was a one off, Women's football however does (IMHO) and i bet if you asked the ladies of the other three associations teams they would like nothing more than to playoff for the right to represent Britian. so ahead of however you qualify, names in hat with two games with the winners playing off for the right to enter qualification. dont see what the issue is.

The best comment on this thread was about it being "arrogant and not taking no for an answer" i'd love to see the response if i used that about the TAMBs favourite topic !! (and no not Rangers!)

The issue is simple. It gives ammunition to UEFA and FIFA to question the validity of the home nations competing as seperate entities in international football. For what? A four yearly tournament that holds little interest for the everyday Joe Bloggs in the street - no f***ing thanks.

wind your neck in, the English disagreeing with the other three associations does not make them arrogant. The English women want to compete at the WC, its the second ranked tournament in which they can compete. If the other associations disagree fair play to them, they should back off and let England play as Britain otherwise front up and play them or come to another solution. Its one thing to say "its my ball and i dont want to play" and another to say "i dont want to play so you cant either"

Best and easiest solution is for Nobby to campaign for English independence. That way we'd all be happy and everyone's a winner!

Best and easiest solution is for Nobby to campaign for English independence. That way we'd all be happy and everyone's a winner!

Quite happy with the way things are to be honest ;-) and only 46% of scots would be happy !! I just think it smacks of pettiness in the extreme. A home nation or a team gb of ladies competing at the Olympics would not threaten the home nations independence IMHO . If they want to do it they would need a much better reason than that !!

Sounds like a sensible plan .

Seb?

In all seriousness I wouldn't mind if the 4 FA's reached an agreement and allowed the English team to represent team GB at women's football. Wouldn't care if they just did a proper team GB also. But if one of the FA's say no then England need to accept it. Better together and all that . .

By a UK nation finishing as the best two European World Cup competitors for women's and by a UK nation finishing in the top three of the of the Euro U21 Championship for men's.

If the other associations disagree fair play to them, they should back off and let England play as Britain

That was the agreement for London 2012 - and the English FA ignored it and picked players from Wales (for men's) and from Scotland (for women's).

By a UK nation finishing as the best two European World Cup competitors for women's and by a UK nation finishing in the top three of the of the Euro U21 Championship for men's.

That was the agreement for London 2012 - and the English FA ignored it and picked players from Wales (for men's) and from Scotland (for women's).

Which would indicate that people want to play at the Olympics no matter what their home FA said. I would agree that the FA has no right to automatically represent GB but if the others don't want to I don't see why they shouldn't. I suspect we'd end up with a couple of English granny plastics !!!

Which would indicate that people want to play at the Olympics no matter what their home FA said. I would agree that the FA has no right to automatically represent GB but if the others don't want to I don't see why they shouldn't. I suspect we'd end up with a couple of English granny plastics !!!

It's not just that they don't want to represent GB, it's that they don't want anyone else to represent GB either.

It's not a difficult concept.

Edited by aaid

Thanks to you Scots ;-)

In '####in' deed.

I have no problem with a GB team for not just the Olympics, but FIFA/UEFA qualifiers either. I don't support it and I'm happy we have a Scottish side and I doubt we will see any GB/UK team in the future, but if it does occur, nae protests here.

Cheers. So "England" and Germany have now qualified for the Olympics?

It's not just that they don't want to represent GB, it's that they don't want anyone else to represent GB either.

It's not a difficult concept.

Neither is wanting to play if the other three dont. it certainly doesnt make them arrogant as has been claimed on here. if they dont want play, why should England miss out because they have their knickers in a twist over thinking that a womans olympic football team would jeopardise the entire existence of Scottish football ? The status quo could be challenged now, a womans team at the olympics hardly signifies that British football needs to be unified ! especially if its just one of the teams if more than one qualify they playoff for the right to represent GB.

Who gives a toss? FIFA are not going to ban the joint oldest national team from playing in their competitions. FIFA have NEVER threatened to do this. Also, UEFA are continually letting smaller, non-sovereign nations/dependencies (Gibraltar being the latest) join them and play in their competitions.

FIFA probably don't have much time left as the governing body anyway.

The SFA have had a bee in their bunnet about this for years. It just shows how much of an inferiority complex they really have.

Cheers. So "England" and Germany have now qualified for the Olympics?

No, Germany and France - as Team GB aren't allowed entry (due to there being not agreement between the four UK FAs).

Edited by Clyde1998

Who gives a toss? FIFA are not going to ban the joint oldest national team from playing in their competitions. FIFA have NEVER threatened to do this. Also, UEFA are continually letting smaller, non-sovereign nations/dependencies (Gibraltar being the latest) join them and play in their competitions.

FIFA probably don't have much time left as the governing body anyway.

The SFA have had a bee in their bunnet about this for years. It just shows how much of an inferiority complex they really have.

Really? it was mentioned that by making a GB international team it could make Fifa up to £500 million.

Really? it was mentioned that by making a GB international team it could make Fifa up to £500 million.

Mentioned by who? Walter Mitty?

How would that money be made exactly?

FIFA have denied on several occasions that they are looking to merge the UK teams. None of the countries want to merge so I doubt FIFA would make us even if they could make that amount of money.

If FIFA were desperate to have one UK team and felt they had a mandate to merge the four countries, they would have done it years ago.