Best Moment Following Scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Moment Following Scotland

microdave

I've started a couple of negative threads, so time to redress the balance with a positive one.

It's difficult to pick one above everything else but I would go for the day we qualified for France '98. I'm sure this will be usurped the next time we qualify for something. Hopefully in October!

The pub was bouncing that night and it seemed the whole country was in party mode!

Edited by microdave

I was at that game at Parkhead but being only 9 I didn't really appreciate or understand it too much but subconsciously it would probably that. If it's matches that I actually attended then the first leg play off game against the Dutch was superb and the country was buzzing for the 3 days following it

The Paris 07 game would've beaten Holland hands down if I hadn't started a new job 3 weeks before. I was on back shift and taped it, straight home, this was before the days off Pussbook and fancy phones so it was easy enough to hide from people and the result. I watched it when I got in and was jumping about the living room at 3 in the morning!!

Faddy in Paris.... It was one of those moments where the ball is at his feet and you think "surely he is not going to try from all the way out there...." With that split second of disbelief after the ball hits the back of the net that feels like it lasts a hour.... And you have to say to yourself "did we just score????".

After we lost to Italy. I've never been so gutted but I was so proud that the TA stayed well after full time and the team came back or for a lap of honour. I was bursting with pride that we nearly got out of a group against the two world cup finalists. It was a great campaign although unsuccessful.

Bitter sweet moment.

Probably my first away trip

Scotland v Costa Rica at Italia 90

Travelled from Menton in the South of France to Genoa by train

When we got to the train station in Menton there were another 30 or 40 Scots on the platform

Then the train which had came from Nice arrived. There were more Scotland fans on it and we travelled to the border stop at Ventimiglia and changed train

The train from Ventimiglia to Genoa was a big long train with more than 20 of the old fashioned carriages with corridors and sliding door compartments and by this time the train was three quarters full with Scotland fans

Saltires and Lion rampants were hanging out of every carriage and everyone was getting tanked up on their carry outs

The journey to Genoa is mostly by coastline and every now and then people on the beaches would see the train passing with the flags and wave up to it

When we got to the main station at Genoa all the Scotland fans embarked and began marching and singing as one which was as loud as anything because of the station acoustics

All of the Italians stopped and took it all in.

A wee Italian woman approached me, smiled and told me her mother was Scottish and shook my hand

We all got another local train to the stadium and the same happened when we got off that train - marching and singing

There was about 200 of us and we walked from the station to the Luigi Ferraris and the next bit was the most memorable

The road we were walking on headed east towards a junction and an underpass. The roads approaching the underpass from the South and West both had hundreds of Scotland fans heading for the underpass too and we all met up in the middle to go though it.

All the cars stopped and starting peeping their horns - the noise was tremendous

It was my first time abroad being with so many other Scots and it just felt magic. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff

Then as usual the game wasted everything .......

When we got to the train station in Menton there were another 30 or 40 Scots on the platform

Then the train which had came from Nice arrived. There were more Scotland fans on it and we travelled to the border stop at Ventimiglia and changed train

The train from Ventimiglia to Genoa was a big long train with more than 20 of the old fashioned carriages with corridors and sliding door compartments and by this time the train was three quarters full with Scotland fans

Saltires and Lion rampants were hanging out of every carriage and everyone was getting tanked up on their carry outs

The journey to Genoa is mostly by coastline and every now and then people on the beaches would see the train passing with the flags and wave up to it

When we got to the main station at Genoa all the Scotland fans embarked and began marching and singing as one which was as loud as anything because of the station acoustics

A wee Italian woman approached me, smiled and told me her mother was Scottish and shook my hand

We all got another local train to the stadium and the same happened when we got off that train - marching and singing

There was about 200 of us and we walked from the station to the Luigi Ferraris and the next bit was the most memorable

The road we were walking on headed east towards a junction and an underpass. The roads approaching the underpass from the South and West both had hundreds of Scotland fans heading for the underpass too and we all met up in the middle to go though it.

All the cars stopped and starting peeping their horns - the noise was tremendous

It was my first time abroad being with so many other Scots and it just felt magic. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff

I wasn't there but that was one of my worst days..................... :cry:

I've started a couple of negative threads, so time to redress the balance with a positive one.

It's difficult to pick one above everything else but I would go for the day we qualified for France '98. I'm sure this will be usurped the next time we qualify for something. Hopefully in October!

The pub was bouncing that night and it seemed the whole country was in party mode!

Before my time attending games, but did we finish runners up to Austria ?

I can also recall us beating Austria at celtic park, with a kevin gallacher winder strike.

Great story, Rod Stewart left the game early apparently.

Before my time attending games, but did we finish runners up to Austria ?

I can also recall us beating Austria at celtic park, with a kevin gallacher winder strike.

Aye we finished second to Austria. We qualified automatically as best runners up.

I remember the Austria game at Celtic Park well. Gallacher scored a couple of crackers that night.

I also remember the Sweden game at Ibrox. John McGinlay scored early on and the Swedes laid siege to Jim Leighton's goal but couldn't beat him.

Aye we finished second to Austria. We qualified automatically as best runners up.

I remember the Austria game at Celtic Park well. Gallacher scored a couple of crackers that night.

I also remember the Sweden game at Ibrox. John McGinlay scored early on and the Swedes laid siege to Jim Leighton's goal but couldn't beat him.

:ok:

Yeah the final game at parkhead to qualify for France was great as I'd just finished uni and knew we were gonna travel around France for 3 weeks.

I'd say the night of the Bordeaux games was probably the best one over there as I'm sure if we'd lost then we would have been the first team eliminated.

Other proud moments v Switzerland at villa park and an away trip to Zagreb when Gallacher scored.

In Glasgow, probably beating a brilliant French team, including platoni, giresse, tigana, et al thanks to a couple of mo Johnston goals in the pissin rain.

God, I sound old on here now.

The Latvia game at Parkhead or Paris for me. If memory serves me right were we not waiting on another result that night to confirm us as best runners up? I remember being in the horseshoe and watching teletext waiting for a score to come in and the place going wild when it did.