Best Moment Following Scotland - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Moment Following Scotland

microdave

The Latvia game at Parkhead or Paris for me. If memory serves me right were we not waiting on another result that night to confirm us as best runners up? I remember being in the horseshoe and watching teletext waiting for a score to come in and the place going wild when it did.

Spain v Faroe Islands was the main game we relied on, as I think there was a game involving Yugoslavia also, but relied on a 15-0 win or something

I'd say the night of the Bordeaux games was probably the best one over there as I'm sure if we'd lost then we would have been the first team eliminated.

The night before it would be my highlight. Unbelievable atmosphere!

In Glasgow, probably beating a brilliant French team, including platoni, giresse, tigana, et al thanks to a couple of mo Johnston goals in the pissin rain.

None of them were playing that night. Platini was the manager.

Guest allyc

Paris 07.wasn't just the result,it was the whole atmosphere and the day and the build up in the warm sunny weather.the march and the whole vibe was electric and encompassing.it was almost as though the stars aligned and a secret belief that something magical was about to unfold.sounds cheesy and ridiculous but have never witnessed anything like it.

Spain v Faroe Islands was the main game we relied on, as I think there was a game involving Yugoslavia also, but relied on a 15-0 win or something

Yeah they were in the same group, needed Spain to win the group as their results against the top four in their group would've beaten ours. We needed Spain not to lose at home to the Faroes, then Yugoslavia not to score a barrowload, which I guess is why Celtic park was bouncing at full time. Not even Scotland could've found a way to lose out in those circumstances!

Yeah they were in the same group, needed Spain to win the group as their results against the top four in their group would've beaten ours. We needed Spain not to lose at home to the Faroes, then Yugoslavia not to score a barrowload, which I guess is why Celtic park was bouncing at full time. Not even Scotland could've found a way to lose out in those circumstances!

It was as much a done deal as you could get.

Bit of a mad group that. I thought Austria were absolutely rank and still can't quite believe they won the group.

I thought we were fairly placed in second but how Sweden didn't win that group is beyond me. The two results that killed them were probably losing to Austria at home when we should have been playing in Tallinn and the game at Ibrox where it was basically Jim Leighton v Sweden.

Ukraine at home 07'. Late buying ssc tickets and ended up top tier of the main stand (wee bit that over hangs) McCulloch scored the place went nuts and that wee stand bounced up and down to the point where you thought it might actually break, gr8 day :-))

Soon to be eclipsed by the FT whistle at home v Poland :ok:

Paris, without question.

The minute that ball hit the back of the net was like nothing I had ever experienced, made the 120 euro tickets almost worth it.

Just a shame that the campaign was all for nothing.

Got to agree with you there Toepoke,

Bordeaux night before the Norway game was without doubt the best experience I've ever had following Scotland.

Faddy goal in Paris was also incredible, but that trip is all a bit hazy as I was an emotional wreck having lost my young wife to that horrible disease a couple of weeks before.

Edited by Jersey Jim

Best moment had to be France away. We were in the away end and I swear when we scored more than half the ground celebrated. Also French fans were very friendly! But then most away games you have a story to tell!! Home games and in my time it had to be Italy at home. The best atmosphere I've ever been in especially after the equaliser. And then Faddy missed THAT chance. Heartbreak.

Maloney vs ireland at parkhead is the best i had felt watching scotland in a long while. Caldwells goal against france, that split second before i realised weve f'in scored here. A nervewracking 23+ minutes to the end, but worth it when the whistle went. Was there when we qualified for france 98 at parkhead as well. And that was a great day. Never thought it would be the last time i would see it.

Other moments include faddy against lithuania, when we really needed 3 points and weren't performing, yet again he came up with something special.

Didn't mean anything in the end but fletchers goal against chec rep and him running to celebrate infront of us was brilliant. And even though we lost that night as well, seeing gerard pique turn the ball past casillas at hampden and the place going absolutely mental is probably up there with the best moments.

Edited by daddybuc16

<p>Fletch against Lithuania (in the campaign we played Holland in the play-offs) was brilliant. We were really struggling that game and looked like we were going to blow it all. Then on comes the youngster from Man Utd to save the day. Brilliant. </p>

Maybe slightly controversial but it's McCulloch's goal against Ukraine for me. We hadn't long beaten France and here we were 10 minutes in and 2 goals to the good against World Cup quarter finalists. Hampden was bouncing, the sun was shining and it really felt like we were seeing the start of something special.

Paris is another obvious highlight however I still look back on it with mixed emotions. I'd changed my cash in to Euro's in Edinburgh but stupidly left them in the hotel in Edinburgh the night before we flew out (never got them back). I was strapped for cash at the time and had to lift cash from my credit card once we got there. By the time the game was finished I'd pretty much spent what I could lift so I just went back to the hotel. Trying to sleep in the hotel room while I could hear the Tartan Army partying in the streets of Pigalle after our best ever result and not being able to go down and join in was a real sore one.

Maybe slightly controversial but it's McCulloch's goal against Ukraine for me. We hadn't long beaten France and here we were 10 minutes in and 2 goals to the good against World Cup quarter finalists. Hampden was bouncing, the sun was shining and it really felt like we were seeing the start of something special.

Maybe not the best but it was a great moment, not experienced anything like it following Scotland.

paris was my first trip. went billy nomates not knowing anyone and got completely hooked . Party at the rugby world cup tented village the night before. The whole day of the game was just magical - couldn't believe it being part of the march.

Away from the actual Scotland matches - going to watch Haarlem was fantastic and even that got eclipsed by going to watch Vlasim against Dukla Prague day after Scotland game. Another magnificent day from start to finish.

Made lots of great friends through following Scotland - something special in these trips that you cant put into words for those who don't quite understand.

2 other things that I love - meeting and conversing with locals in whatever country and then trying to organise my travel - getting a bargain or going by some circuitous route .

The Latvia game at Parkhead or Paris for me. If memory serves me right were we not waiting on another result that night to confirm us as best runners up? I remember being in the horseshoe and watching teletext waiting for a score to come in and the place going wild when it did.

It was the Spain v San Marino result we were waiting on (not Faroes). Spain won 3-1 and that was it sealed ??

Edited by McTeeko

Got to agree with you there Toepoke,

Bordeaux night before the Norway game was without doubt the best experience I've ever had following Scotland.

Got to agree with Jim the night before game in Bordeaux was the best and in fact we had a great night after game too; ended up in some small boozer on the outskirts with loads of locals. Hopefully will recreate it next summer