Pyramid Play- Offs In The Balance - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pyramid Play- Offs In The Balance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What area does the lowland league cover?

How far north does it go?

If that champions won a play off against,Montrose (for arguements sake), would Montrose then join the highland league,adding a team to that and leaving the lowland league with one team short?

If that champions won a play off against,Montrose (for arguements sake), would Montrose then join the highland league,adding a team to that and leaving the lowland league with one team short?

I hope that's no' aimed at me?

Anybody?

Scottish Lowlands bud.

Stirling bud.

I'll leave that one for Flure.

How on earth could Meadowbank only be described as "entry level". Its got a decent stand of 5,000 seats. Yes its miles from the pitch, but after seeing the likes of Cowdenbeaths "stadium", thats a joke.

Some interesting stuff here that I can't be bothered to read.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__091214membershipcriterialetter2015_16_1410788563.pdf

I think Stirling Uni is the furthest Northern team in the lowland league

I think Cove Rangers, just south of Aberdeen, is as far south as it goes.

Montrose would fit in there nae bother.

IIRC The Playoffs will be between the winners of the Highland and the Lowland and the winners will play bottom club from div 4. The Highland/Lowland League will have a flexible border... so as to keep the numbers equal...

So Stirling for example might move from Highland to Lowland league,

But Brora, are not interested in moving leagues, they are Highl;and Champs and will prob be this year as well.. so dont know what happens then..

Edited by stocky

What's the highland league like geographically?

Think most clubs are from Aberdeen and surrounding areas up to Frasierbourgh and along towards inverness, with only Fort William, Strathspay Thistle and Wick from (much) further afield.... So Montrose could fit right into there no problem.

I think new clubs are joining the lowland league next season, so if edinburgh do go up there would be teams to take their place.

But Brora, are not interested in moving leagues, they are Highl;and Champs and will prob be this year as well.. so dont know what happens then..

The article said there was no opt out, but if they didn't have a suitable stadium they wouldn't be eligible and couldn't be replaced by 2nd placed team.

In your scenario, if Brora didn't have a ground the winner of the lowland league would play bottom of SPFL2 (provided they had a ground otherwise no play off)

If Brora do have a suitable ground, that might throw up an interesting one?

Some interesting stuff here that I can't be bothered to read.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__091214membershipcriterialetter2015_16_1410788563.pdf

Had a quick scan through some of this and it appears to say that in League 1 and 2 you only need an Entry Level stadium. So the article at the top appears to be slightly inaccurate.

John Young ( Brora Chairman) is a decent guy, and I can see their point. At the moment, they will get a fair number of travelling supporters to home games, and take a few with them, but in the SPL, crowds and money will definitely drop. Also travelling will be onerous, as Brora is about 70 miles north of Inv'ss.

Brora confirmed champions of highland league.

Chairman doesn't want to go up, and claims a lot of the players don't too.

Apparently a lot of the players play at that level now because they couldnt get time off work/be arsed travelling when they played at a higher level.

If it doesn't make financial sense,then it's a sense le stance to take I suppose.

Say they'll still give it their all to get promoted,but would probably lose half a team if they did.

Edited by dandydunn

Similar things happen down south, my local team spent a couple of seasons in the Conference North in spite of being located about four miles from London Stansted airport. Wasn't good from a financial point of view, extra travel, loss of advertising and really difficult for players because of the reasons dandydunn mentions.

Surely there should be a method of substituting in the second place team in this case, like Jim Bowen did in Bullseye?

What if they don't want it either?

Also what if the lowland league side really want it, have everything in place, win their league and then lose the play off to a side that finished 2nd or 3rd in the highland league (or vice versa).

Similar things happen down south, my local team spent a couple of seasons in the Conference North in spite of being located about four miles from London Stansted airport. Wasn't good from a financial point of view, extra travel, loss of advertising and really difficult for players because of the reasons dandydunn mentions.

I think the "border line" for the North-South conference split is just south of Birmingham (this actually surprised me, as I always assumed it would have been Manchester area).... sure one year a club who played about 35 miles north of the "border" were told they would be getting moved into the Conference south after it was mostly Northern clubs who got demoted from the Conference

What if they don't want it either?

Also what if the lowland league side really want it, have everything in place, win their league and then lose the play off to a side that finished 2nd or 3rd in the highland league (or vice versa).

If they don't want it then go to the next one down. If you get down 18 teams and nobody wants it then fair enough, but I'd think that would be unlikely.

On the other question, well, that would be tough tits IMO.