Week Today - Scotland V Japan - Who's Going? - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Week Today - Scotland V Japan - Who's Going?

Bristolhibby

Me and Bathhibby are off to what I would consider a Home game in Kingsholm, Gloucester next Wednesday. Getting the train from Bath early doors.

Going to head to the rugby village down the docks and see what the craic is like.

J

What's everyone else's plans?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be there....nae getting tae Gloucester until half one ish,how far are the docks Bristol ? Take it a will nae have time tae get there then the ground fir kick off ??

Got yer pm Deedee I'll be in touch on the day

Cheers lads

About a 15 minute walk from the Docks to Kingsholm.

J

I'll be there....nae getting tae Gloucester until half one ish,how far are the docks Bristol ? Take it a will nae have time tae get there then the ground fir kick off ??

Got yer pm Deedee I'll be in touch on the day

Cheers lads

Teague's, straight across the road from the ground. Brilliant.

Bit of a last-minute job but am going now. Train tickets sorted - also staying in Cheltenham. Will be meeting up with a bunch of Austrians who won't really know where they're going either! Any recommendations for pubs, etc welcome! There will be about 20 of them.

Plenty of pubs in both Cheltenham & Gloucester. Depends what sort of thing you're looking for? Live sport, real ale, music/dancing, decent scran?

I checked the trains and it`s only 10 minutes from Cheltenham to Gloucester.

Cheltenham train station is a decent walk out of the town centre. It's probably easier to get the 94 bus from the Promenade right in the centre. Takes about half an hour, but a wee bit cheaper. Plus it's leather seats, free wi-fi, and air conditioned (if it's hot) - we're posh down here you know!

Cheltenham train station is a decent walk out of the town centre. It's probably easier to get the 94 bus from the Promenade right in the centre. Takes about half an hour, but a wee bit cheaper. Plus it's leather seats, free wi-fi, and air conditioned (if it's hot) - we're posh down here you know!

I`m actually staying a bit out of town, hotel called White Lodge, just off the road to Gloucester. What`s the best way to Gloucester from there? I`m taking the car and i don`t drink so i could even drive through to the match.

just looking for somewhere they will all get in and get served. If there is rugby on, all the better (I think there's another game on before us?). Food comes further down the list of priorities! I may fill my sporran with sandwiches!

We`re the first game. Australia v Fiji, then France v Romania on after.

just looking for somewhere they will all get in and get served. If there is rugby on, all the better (I think there's another game on before us?). Food comes further down the list of priorities! I may fill my sporran with sandwiches!

The Lansdown is decent - plenty of TVs to show the rugby on, a good size, reasonable prices (especially for Cheltenham), and if you do eat the food is good. Wee bit out of town though. In the centre there's the usual chain boozers, plus the Spectre on the high street which'll definitely have the games on. Also Lounge 72, although I'm not sure if they still show live sport or not. If you're there into the night, you could do worse than the Sandford Arms - cracking boozer with a massive selection of beers. Where are you staying?

I`m actually staying a bit out of town, hotel called White Lodge, just off the road to Gloucester. What`s the best way to Gloucester from there? I`m taking the car and i don`t drink so i could even drive through to the match.

You're right on the Golden Valley roundabout - KFC is directly across the road from you, as is the Harvester for grub. There's a bus stop right across the road too, which the 94 stops at - by far the easiest way into Gloucester. I wouldn't take the car - they're closing off roads around the stadium and there's limited parking. There is a park & ride, but to be honest, you're as well just getting the 94 as you'll wind up travelling about the same distance by bus regardless...

Me! I live in Cheltenham so it's a definite home game for me.

Anyone needing any advice etc. give me a shout on PM. :ok:

Ok. How do I reconcile my desire to support Scotland in this sport with my annoyance that they get applauded for kicking the ball off the pitch without anyone being injured at the time, and my Incredulity that eejits can actually watch a guff sport in which they have to pass the ball backwards in order to progress up the pitch ?

Ok. How do I reconcile my desire to support Scotland in this sport with my annoyance that they get applauded for kicking the ball off the pitch without anyone being injured at the time, and my Incredulity that eejits can actually watch a guff sport in which they have to pass the ball backwards in order to progress up the pitch ?

By getting your head out of the mindset of "if its not football its shite" which permeates Scottish society?

More seriously, itd be about appreciating what wins you rugby matches. It's a game of territory to a far greater extent than football, hence the kicking. But the thing about why you can't pass forward us like asking why you can't puck the ball up and run with it in football tbh.

Good knowledge, Nelbo.

KFTF - if you're serious, try watching Tonga v Georgia at the moment if you can. It's a real exercise "earning the hard yards" at the moment - an example of the territory game mentioned above and you can see why the kick is used in preference to running sometimes. That aside, there's some brutal stuff on show. Gorgodze for Georgia (no 8) is some player.

Fantastic win for Georgia. Kingsholm is looking good.

Bought my train tickets, can't wait for Wednesday. It's my birthday, watching Scotland in the World Cup & my missus has bought me the New Jersey that will be getting its first outing.

J

Nelbo - staying in Montpellier. cheers for info.

Plenty of bars in Montpellier, although they can be a bit pricey. Avoid the Wine Bar at all costs - tiny, pretentious, over-priced, and shite. Harry Cook's has a cracking selection of beers; and the Rotunda is a proper traditional pub. You're a few minutes walk from both the Lansdown that I mentioned before and the town centre, so pretty much ideally located. The number 10 & 94 buses both stop in Montpellier too, just at the roundabout at the top of the hill - ideal for getting to Gloucester for the game.