Tmo And Referees - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tmo And Referees

irnbruman

that's both games now where they are making a complete pig's ear of what should be a relatively easy function. Last night the ref changing his mind on seeing the big screen after he had awarded the try and today a referee (Nigel Owens) who loved the sound of his own voice - going to the TMO to see if a high tackle - TMO being shown wrong passage of play - and referee saying fook it - I'll just make my own decision on watching the big screen.

Rugby League do this far more efficiently. If referee awards the try - then nothing shown on big screen. If he goes to TMO then the referee has to decide beforehand whether he thinks its a try or not. TMO then gives benefit of any doubt with the referee but overrules when its clear that ref is incorrect.

I was raging last night. Awarded the try then wen to the TMO because of the screens, then uses the TMO when every man and his dog saw it was a fine try (the cross field up and under for Fiji).

Or let's go down the NFL route, all try scoring plays reviewed by the TMO, that way all doubt is removed. Especially if the ref is going to the TMO every 10 seconds.

J

The coentators were wrong about which incident the tmo was talking about in Tonga v Georgia. The incident being shown was actually the one they were examining but Scott Hastings was gibbering on about a different tackle he'd seen. Right decision was made, nothing in it at all.

Scott Hastings is one thick fucquer. Played against him for Lenzie u21s at Watsonians many years ago - 10-10 draw. He was nowhere near as good as Martin Offiah who I played against in London at sevens. Had to call for a taxi to chase him - bugger was jogging and still roaring away.

Mind you some fanny at Watsonians at lunchtime prior to an international match in those days.

that's both games now where they are making a complete pig's ear of what should be a relatively easy function. Last night the ref changing his mind on seeing the big screen after he had awarded the try and today a referee (Nigel Owens) who loved the sound of his own voice - going to the TMO to see if a high tackle - TMO being shown wrong passage of play - and referee saying fook it - I'll just make my own decision on watching the big screen.

Rugby League do this far more efficiently. If referee awards the try - then nothing shown on big screen. If he goes to TMO then the referee has to decide beforehand whether he thinks its a try or not. TMO then gives benefit of any doubt with the referee but overrules when its clear that ref is incorrect.

Exact same tonight for the disallowed French try v Italy.

Edited by fringo

It certainly can't be any worse than the shambles relating to TMO that we have seen in this RWC so far. Edited by Pool Q