Amsterdam Airport - Transit Time - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Amsterdam Airport - Transit Time

McToot

Schengen => Schengen, no problem

Non Schengen => Non Schengen, no problem

Schengen => Non Schengen, doable

Non Schengen => Schengen, might be tight, due to the one security check for all flights.

The 2.5 hours mentioned above is nonsense.

Is it two separate bookings? Or the one booking on two separate airlines, but are travel partners (ie KLM and Ukrainian Airlines are travel partners and share routes, so if you book it through KLM you are checked in all the way).

If it's two separate booking, nowhere near enough time, if it's through the one booking you are fine (and will be in the same zone of the airport... When coming back from Kyiv some times I have things like arriving at gate 16 and flight to Glasgow is taking off at gate 17)

i think there are also changes coming into action this month at amsterdam regarding security, i think they are doing away with the security at the gates in one part of it and you have to come out and go through a main security area again when changing flights.

edit: found this and it relates to non schengen flights.... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1446338-schiphol-introduce-centralised-security-non-schengen-2015-a.html

Edited by LewisEDI

i think there are also changes coming into action this month at amsterdam regarding security, i think they are doing away with the security at the gates in one part of it and you have to come out and go through a main security area again when changing flights.

edit: found this and it relates to non schengen flights.... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1446338-schiphol-introduce-centralised-security-non-schengen-2015-a.html

Introduced last week , not experienced it yet so no idea as to what effect it has for transfer passengers.

cheers, i'm flying back via amsterdam from bucharest on friday so will report back (funnily enough i only have 50 mins between flights)

That would be great.

The flight to Amsterdam is with Georgian Airways and then KLM to Birmingham so they're not linked airlines. Would be two separate bookings. I need to be in Hayfield in the Peak District for 11 and this is about the only option I can find.

That would be great.

The flight to Amsterdam is with Georgian Airways and then KLM to Birmingham so they're not linked airlines. Would be two separate bookings. I need to be in Hayfield in the Peak District for 11 and this is about the only option I can find.

I would say its not worth it, also if your Georgian Airways flight is delayed then you are not covered by the parent airline to get you home.

I would say its not worth it, also if your Georgian Airways flight is delayed then you are not covered by the parent airline to get you home.

I agree with this, i wouldn't feel comfortable with flying with 2 different airlines who weren't partners with less than 2 hrs.

I agree with this, i wouldn't feel comfortable with flying with 2 different airlines who weren't partners with less than 2 hrs.

Agree, also I do not think it is a case of getting off plane 1 and going straight to plane 2, as even with online check in's these days, you still need to leave the terminal building and reenter at the front through security again (I know Ryanair make you do this at Stanstead and Easyjet at Gatwick, and that is when traveling with the same airline)

Flights can be delayed 1 hour

Taxiing when landign can take 15 mins and scrummage of passengers

I would wantt 2.5 hours to accommodate above problems

Insurannce companies and airlines wont accommodate you , if you only planned a 55 minute connection - thats even extreme on a code share, and airline would run you, between gates

2008 Georgia match - heap of lads from Aberdeen, could not get to the game, because they missed a tight connection in London and was separate Airline booking

Think it was Georgian Airlines who were not interesed in givign them a new ticket, since not their fault on the missed flight

50 minutes I would say is the bare minimum at Schipol when doing a code share flight, though from using KLM for years to get to Ukraine, 1 hour was always the magic number I found for both you and your luggage making your destination....

Anything less than that and strong chance your bag would not be waiting for you at the other end (coming home this was never a problem, but when I went out to Ukraine, I would always have a 8 hour train journey booked for a couple of hours after landing, and KLM would have to pay for a taxi to bring my bag to me ever time I was less than 1 full hour in Schipol.

Thanks for the info guys. Back to the drawing board. Think more than likely I'll have to just give it a miss.

I did contemplate booking it and also a later flight as there's one for £35 a couple of hours later. Really need to be back though so probably not really an option.

I'll keep hunting.

If everything went perfectly at Schiphol, it may be do-able.

But that rarely happens. If the wind's from the west or south-west then your flight will land on the Polderbaan, which is a good 15 minute taxi to the terminal.

If you're going from non-Schengen to Schengen I think you now have to go through passport control, then back in again through another departure area.

95% chance that you won't make it.

I'd need at least 90 minutes at Schiphol to feel comfortable changing flights.

That would be great.

I think Georgian and Klm are linked just not Sky Team.