Yerevan - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Yerevan

saintydave

Not been, but going via there on route to Tbilisi in September.

Can recommend a really good guide as she has been very helpful in helping to arrange for me to see as much of Yerevan as possible in the short time I am there.

Been doing my research and the following bars keep popping up and come highly recommended..... 90's Pub, Hinchada Sports Bar, Beatles Pub, Calumet, Woodrock, Pub 37, Tom Collins and Beer Academy.

These are all late night bars (3am throughout the week) and seem to all be a stones throw from each other.

Would appreciate any bars or restaurants you can add when back :ok:

Only thing to be slightly concerned about is the anti-Government/Russian protests taking place over the last 2 days just now with 1000's of folk taking to the street in protest about Energy prices increasing (Armenia gets most its electricity from Russia and the Russians are raising prices due to the sanctions against them).

So far it has been relatively peaceful on the protesters part, but the police have been going in very heavy handed with water cannons.

Edited by wanderer

Thanks for the advice guys, we are staying in the Marriott right in centre of town so hopefully close to most places, seems the game is being moved to the national stadium which is much closer than the teams own stadium.

not sure how many are travelling, around 100 I would imagine.

Thanks for the advice guys, we are staying in the Marriott right in centre of town so hopefully close to most places, seems the game is being moved to the national stadium which is much closer than the teams own stadium.

not sure how many are travelling, around 100 I would imagine.

I am booked in to Tufenkian Historic Hotel.

The guide who I have booked tours of the city and arranged transport to Tbilisi in the evening gets discount in certain hotels, and normally this is above my usual budget,but she offered a good deal) which seems to be south of the main square slap bang in the middle of town.... all the bars I mentioned are in a area north of the main square.

As said, all seem to be on the door step of each other.....I am meeting up with a Armenian football fan who contributes to Futbolgrad in Woodrock Pub after I have checked into my hotel, and he says its a 10 minute walk from my hotel.... so city center sounds very compact.

Serbian mate was over for Armenia v Serbia last year, and his photos looked great. The stadium is not that far from the center of town and you can just walk up to it and get inside to take photos no problem.

Edited by wanderer

Looks like an expensive trip!

I saw on Saints official website yesterday that the club are doing a charter flight package and there's limited availability at £950 per person!

Lot of money for a short trip time wise.

Can't see many Saints fans travel to this one :(

Looks like an expensive trip!

I saw on Saints official website yesterday that the club are doing a charter flight package and there's limited availability at £950 per person!

Lot of money for a short trip time wise.

Can't see many Saints fans travel to this one :(

If you have time, I recommend a visit to Nagorno-Karabakh (means something like black mountain garden). Fascinating little place. Though would only be for anyone there for more than a couple of days...

If you have time, I recommend a visit to Nagorno-Karabakh (means something like black mountain garden). Fascinating little place. Though would only be for anyone there for more than a couple of days...

Not if you ever want to visit Azerbaijan it's not!

We stayed in the best western with a pool and pool bar for circa 60 a night few years ago. great trip weather was a scorcher, beat Armenia 2-1

there is a great steakhouse just off the square , a few did come down with food poisioning elsewhere though. The fountains change colour from memory

There is a big hill up via some cascanding fountains ?decent views of the city and a couple of tanks , missile launchers. ate in an Armenian restaurent one night, not sure want I was eating tbh.

Pain to get to 3 flights in one day and most flights land 04.00 ish in morning, Passport control like most countries don't have a sense of humour