Interrailing Tips - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Interrailing Tips

yourname

I did 2 Interails in my late teens a long time ago and they`re still the best holidays I`ve ever had. I still travel a lot by train for work and holidays and have used Interrail cards in recent years (Global and single country) on some trips. Unfortunately many night trains (Spain to France/Italy/Switzerland, Germany to Denmark etc) have been withdrawn in last 3 or 4 years (really hope Caledonian Sleeper can continue since night trains have many advantages that high-speed day trains or flights will never replace). There are still night trains within France and you have option of booking whole compartment for yourself with a supplement (amount depends on number of people but maximum is 70€ for one person having 4-bed compartment to themselves). No showers or anything but safe and comfortable and there are showers in all Paris stations and others in France. I also recommend seat61.com and for booking loco2 and capitainetrain (can keep reservation without paying for 20 days) are good especially for France. Modern stations have become like airports and I`ve noticed that rail passengers don`t speak to each other much but it`s still a great way to travel, see places and meet people. If we qualify for Euro 2016 there`ll be loads of threads about rail cards etc but fortunately there are loads of options in France and surrounding countries.