Davis Cup Quarter Final - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Davis Cup Quarter Final

Geeman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never know. If it can happen once it can happen again - the Murray's between them are providing a proper coaching set up for youngsters rather than the useless money pit the LTA provides with its wads of cash.

Champions are born not made IMO but I hope you're right.

Champions are born not made IMO but I hope you're right.

Yeah, but its hard to believe there was nobody born in seventy years in the UK who could win a major. Training and development has been stinking for decades, relying on the gentlemanly middle class attitudes surrounding Wimbledon. Murray (Andy and Mum) weren't having that and look where its got them. I'm certain they'll develop top 20 players in Stirling, and if you're developing those guys one will eventually pop up in the top handful. And not have to beat Federer, Djokovic and Nadal.

Yeah, but its hard to believe there was nobody born in seventy years in the UK who could win a major. Training and development has been stinking for decades, relying on the gentlemanly middle class attitudes surrounding Wimbledon. Murray (Andy and Mum) weren't having that and look where its got them. I'm certain they'll develop top 20 players in Stirling, and if you're developing those guys one will eventually pop up in the top handful. And not have to beat Federer, Djokovic and Nadal.

Again hope your right but Spain is still the best place to learn.

I actually thought I heard chanting today from the muppets in the London crowd of "Cmon England" ...

And coupled with Sue Barker's England slip as well I think it says a lot...

Is it part of the multitude of proposed devolutions that ALL sport and culture should henceforth be separate ?

Ot actually saddens me to have to watch Andy and Jamie veing made to play for the Union Jack in front of fans that care nothing for Scotland.

And similarly every time David Coulthard made the Formula One podium he had the Union Jack raised and Gstq played if he had won. Now I don't know his politics at all BUT he was clearly proudly Scottish with the Saltire always on his helmet.

The Commonwealth games illustrated perfectly how much it meant to all Scottish athletes to be able to compete and win for Scotland.

In football and rugby the British nations have always competed separately and its unthinkable to ever change that.

It should now be the case that we separate fully in every single sport, competing as Scotland England Wales etc.

The SNP should be negotiating for this.

And a lesser issue but comparable, separate entries too for eurovision.

Douze points for the Proclaimers !

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know when the Semi-final venue will be announced? And subsequently, when tickets will go on sale?

Think I read the announcement was due today. It was actually last Friday but due to not being able to get their first choice (M.E.N, pesky Florence!) they were given a 5 day extension. Not so sure about tickets but I'd imagine it would be Friday/Monday.

Think I read the announcement was due today. It was actually last Friday but due to not being able to get their first choice (M.E.N, pesky Florence!) they were given a 5 day extension. Not so sure about tickets but I'd imagine it would be Friday/Monday.

Cheers. I know it seems to be an open secret that'll be Glasgow but it'd be good to get it confirmed.

Are Saltires allowed? As there's a 0% chance of me waving a UJ :lol:

Cheers. I know it seems to be an open secret that'll be Glasgow but it'd be good to get it confirmed.

Assure I'll be getting tkts and assure you I'll be waving my saltire and wearing my kilt. Glasgow in March had plenty saltires and Scotland tops etc. queens in London was obviously heavy with the 'union' flags. Hopefully IF it's Glasgow again can create an atmosphere to lift the Murray's and Leon through to the final ???

Glasgow last time was about 50/50 UJs and Saltires I think.

£170 for a 3-day ticket :shocked:

That's not too bad really. 3 days of the quarter final of the biggest team event of one of the top sports on the planet. Compare it to the price of a football match - and then contrast and compare the quality and duration. 5 matches for your £170 = £34 per match.

That's not too bad really. 3 days of the quarter final of the biggest team event of one of the top sports on the planet. Compare it to the price of a football match - and then contrast and compare the quality and duration. 5 matches for your £170 = £34 per match.

James Ward is about as good at tennis as Aberdeen are at fitbaw... I'd effectively be paying £65 to watch him lose twice.

I think it's a rip off, so i'll just go on the Friday.

Aye, I'll be watching it on the telly!

Even more so considering the only player worth watching could easily get injured or withdraw prior to the tournament.

Australia have some pretty good players... Do you work for the BBC?

Are there start times for the days?

Got another event to go to on the Sat evening so don't want to try for the doubles if it could drag on to five long sets. So if a max match time of say 5 hours, wondering when it is due to kick off ?