Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

I initially thought that this was a ad-hoc publication by a group of Indie supporting individuals, but it's actually backed by The Herald group and will have a daily run of 50,000 copies.

Not inconsiderable. If they were to sell that much ot will become the 3rd biggest daily newspaper in Scotland.

I also wonder how they're going to approach the publicity that this paper will need, and where they're sell it.

I can't imagine it'll fly over the counters in NIMBY/ybaw Unionist/Tory loving areas like Morningside, Peebles and Aberdeen....although these are the areas where the hold of state propaganda needs to be broken.

Will be interesting to see the evolution of this.

I can't see anyone other than pro-indy supporters picking this up off the shelves but I suppose papers are then passed on around the workplace, etc. so reaches beyond the initial buyer. To gain wider popularity would obviously have to be a work in progress as it will be mainly preaching to the converted which isn't enough. The distinct advantage that the Sunday Herald had was that it already had a broad-based readership. This situation for a start-up paper represents a challenge but has to be a positive step in any case.

Could be a smart move, given the Sunday Herald's circulation increase this year.

As a frequent reader of the "i" I'd say there's a definite gap in the market for a condensed Scottish "broadsheet" newspaper. It may even appeal to non independence supporters.

And the fact it's backed by the Herald should give it quite a leg-up in terms of retail outlets...

Edited by Toepoke

Getting guys like Derek Bateman as a weekly columnist would help. Someone like wee ginger dug to do a weekly political sketch / satire too. Bring some other f the more prominent nat bloggers into the written media.

Edited by biffer

I can see it being an "i" like version of the Herald with a lot of common articles. Having a pro-independence editorial policy doesn't mean the content has to be overtly politically biased...

Correct. Not everyone buys certain unionist biased press because it supports a particular political party.

Many people buy papers for the sport coverage, tittle tattle, gossip, scandals, tv listings and even crosswords.

Most newspapers cover these stories while headlining the anti SNP stories that catch the eye of the less political reader who then regularly takes it in as gospel.