Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks very good.

Very much the same set-up as The Herald....I was worried it would simply come across as a flimsy SNP advertising sheet, but there's plenty of meat on the bones there.

My worry is that, if it does go into full production, it'll clash very much with The Herald......same style, and I would imagine an overlap of stories.

Not sure how that'll work.

Just read it....

..... and I liked it.

Aye, it's a bit lightweight, not a huge amount of content (couple full page pictures to take up space, even a 2page 'picture of the day'!) - but it's only issue 1, it'll grow.

Good to see positive articles about RIC as well as SNP, decent mix of World news - as someone mentioned, a bit like the 'i' format.

The most important things for me though are:

(i) it 'normalises' the thought of independence, to have a daily newspaper in Scotland supporting it, and discussing it

(ii) Hopefully a bit of counter balance against the pish from the Daily Heil and the Daily Record

(iii) it gives an indy platform to those who normally wouldn't read pro-indy content, like older folk who don't use the internet, or read blogs - I'd be interested to see if they include any Bella Caledonia type blog pieces in the future

(iv) most importantly..... it REALLY annoys Duncan Hothersall that there's now ONE paper supporting Indy!

Hope they prosper

Just read it....

..... and I liked it.

Aye, it's a bit lightweight, not a huge amount of content (couple full page pictures to take up space, even a 2page 'picture of the day'!) - but it's only issue 1, it'll grow.

Good to see positive articles about RIC as well as SNP, decent mix of World news - as someone mentioned, a bit like the 'i' format.

The most important things for me though are:

(i) it 'normalises' the thought of independence, to have a daily newspaper in Scotland supporting it, and discussing it

(ii) Hopefully a bit of counter balance against the pish from the Daily Heil and the Daily Record

(iii) it gives an indy platform to those who normally wouldn't read pro-indy content, like older folk who don't use the internet, or read blogs - I'd be interested to see if they include any Bella Caledonia type blog pieces in the future

(iv) most importantly..... it REALLY annoys Duncan Hothersall that there's now ONE paper supporting Indy!

Hope they prosper

:ok:

I've read it and planning to email the editor with my feedback at lunchtime. Hoping they get a wide number of guest articles. And an ability to approach international issues other than through a London prism. Also hoping they criticise the Scottish Government where necessary, don't want it to mindlessly cheerlead the SNP the way the Record does with Labour.

Indy is a grassroots organisation and the paper needs to reflect this chaos and diversity :)

I've read it and planning to email the editor with my feedback at lunchtime. Hoping they get a wide number of guest articles. And an ability to approach international issues other than through a London prism. Also hoping they criticise the Scottish Government where necessary, don't want it to mindlessly cheerlead the SNP the way the Record does with Labour.

Indy is a grassroots organisation and the paper needs to reflect this chaos and diversity :)

I think the Editorial suggests that if the SG deserve criticism the newspaper will do it. Its all about balance and from a read of the first edition I think it will acheive that. I wish it well.

Got physical and digital. Nice idea.

This edition not doing it for me. Snippet stories, preaching to the converted (A wee dig at the auld firm as an underline). 20 pages of content, can't see the scotcont in many an article.

I'm sure it'll improve, needs more meat for me.

I'll pay for it for a while, I think it will be needed and valuable come may.

Who the fk is this Hothersall person? I've had a few arguments with him, is he a real person?

He's the type who walks in to a restaurant and says

"I'll pay for the meal. That aloof man over there will order for me. I'll just eat the scraps from his plate. He'll call me 'scum' throughout the meal and I'll be fine with it and then I'll pay the tip and hold the door open for him as we leave. Hopefully he'll beat me in the car on the way home. I sleep in the garden. It's fine. It's more than I deserve and it's the best that I can hope for."