Aberdeen - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason people slag off Aberdeen is that they voted naw in the referendum, after having such a patriotic reputation before.

That and the bestiality.

Don't forget the inability to find the bar.

The west-end of cities always appear to be more up-market.

This could be bs, but I once read that the reason for this was due to the sw predominant winds,so when city expansion happened the west end, up market was built down wind of the grotty factories so that the well heeled didn't get exposed to the smog and muck. (citations needed)

I have too many family ties on my Dad's side (he loved the place) to be comfortable with seeing cheap shots at it like this award, and anyway slagging places always seems lazy to me - there's good and bad in any place. But as someone who goes there on business, there is definitely something in this 'fishing village on speed' thing that I'd find difficult to define. Too often you find yourself in meetings with someone who you suspect would really be more comfortable discussing the price of haddock or the merits of a type of sheep dip, and who, deep down, can't figure out how he ended up working in petro-chemicals. The city centre is a bit bleak considering how much money there is sloshing around, but I don't know enough about the local politics to smconnent on why that might be.

This could be bs, but I once read that the reason for this was due to the sw predominant winds,so when city expansion happened the west end, up market was built down wind of the grotty factories so that the well heeled didn't get exposed to the smog and muck. (citations needed)

That's probably true, because there must be something. It can't be sheer coincidence.

I have too many family ties on my Dad's side (he loved the place) to be comfortable with seeing cheap shots at it like this award, and anyway slagging places always seems lazy to me - there's good and bad in any place. But as someone who goes there on business, there is definitely something in this 'fishing village on speed' thing that I'd find difficult to define. Too often you find yourself in meetings with someone who you suspect would really be more comfortable discussing the price of haddock or the merits of a type of sheep dip, and who, deep down, can't figure out how he ended up working in petro-chemicals. The city centre is a bit bleak considering how much money there is sloshing around, but I don't know enough about the local politics to smconnent on why that might be.

That is what I love about it. It is more like a town than a city.

That is what I love about it. It is more like a town than a city.

Fair point. It's the mashing together of fishing village/Europe's oil capital thing I think. Not that folk are resistant to change, just that many can't quite keep up with it and are a bit puzzled at where they find themselves.

• 4 weeks later...