Longannet May Close Early - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Longannet May Close Early

Some Labour MP was saying on the wireless that, with the SNP government wanting 100% of energy supplied by renewables, they want to keep this plant open to supply electricity to England.

An expert from Glasgow Uni was on GMS today (sounded very knowledgeable) and said that Longannet provides around 25% or Scotland's power each year.

Apparently it's very important as it can provide power on queue (I.e. when there's no wind or waves) and take up the slack when renewables can't provide.

One interesting point was that Scottish power pay National Grid around £40million per year to connect Longannet to the grid. Which is in start contrast to similar plants in the south east of England, who are actually paid by National Grid to connect.

An expert from Glasgow Uni was on GMS today (sounded very knowledgeable) and said that Longannet provides around 25% or Scotland's power each year.

Apparently it's very important as it can provide power on queue (I.e. when there's no wind or waves) and take up the slack when renewables can't provide.

One interesting point was that Scottish power pay National Grid around £40million per year to connect Longannet to the grid. Which is in start contrast to similar plants in the south east of England, who are actually paid by National Grid to connect.

I'm far from an expert on the subject. My old mans work supplies it's own power with it's own Biomass power plant which generates power from their own waste (the companies waste, not feces), any excess is released to the grid. They're also subsidised by Scottish Power for being on the grid. Last time I spoke with him about it they were supplying the majority of Ayrshires power needs,

The grid should be nationalised and run for the good of the country.

That's what the guy on GMS said. Said it was privatised by Thatcher and National Grids only responsibility is to their shareholders.

I'm far from an expert on the subject. My old mans work supplies it's own power with it's own Biomass power plant which generates power from their own waste (the companies waste, not feces), any excess is released to the grid. They're also subsidised by Scottish Power for being on the grid. Last time I spoke with him about it they were supplying the majority of Ayrshires power needs,

Is that the one in Girvin by any chance?

I'm sure i read someplace that they work out transmission costs per mile from from Westminster :shocked:

On the radio yesterday I kept hearing this figure of £40 million being paid by Scottish Power to keep Longannet connected to the grid, whereas if it was located near London they would probably expect to be paid around £4 million a year instead.

But this doesn't seem to be the full story in terms of the finances. Does anyone know if Longannet makes a profit for Scottish Power, even with the £40 million a year charge being levied on them? Or is the plant currently loss making?

I'm sure i read someplace that they work out transmission costs per mile from from Westminster :shocked:

Transmission costs are based on distance to the average population centre in the UK. This works out just north of London due to the high population density down there. If I remember right transmission costs penalise any power producer more than 200 miles from this point. If I also remember rightly, transmission lines generally don't see a degradation in the power supplied until transmission distances hit closer to 500 miles.

So the costs to a power supply company can be very obstructive to building new power plants (renewables or not) in remote locations which funnily turns out to be the best place to site power plants. It also means that power companies like to build near population centres (which aren't as good practically for siting) to make more money but also incurs the wrath of NIMBYs. The rules are outdated and a hindrance to the power industry as a whole which will in years to come hurt the general population.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unbelievable ..We have to pay to use our own grid system in our own country.Why cant we supply our own energy to our own Scottish grid system,Surely this is the norm in other countries around the world.Oh of course not in the puppet region of Scotland.

Reason no 326 for independence.Take over your own grid then nationalise it