Edinburgh - Friday 13Th March - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Edinburgh - Friday 13Th March

Asked his a while ago but date confirmed now....I'm not familiar with Edinburgh and it's bestest pubs, so having to entertain 2 Hamburg TA (Dundee Ud fans) over for the Final can anyone please suggest a good pub crawl from afternoon till evening (last train tae Croy) in central Edinburgh....or thereabouts.

Unusual pubs are a bonus!!

Right, I'm no eastiebeastie so I may take a pasting here, but for out of towners... the Jekyll & Hyde. Then there's the White Hart in the Grassmarket and
...oh buggger ...the other place I was about to suggest (with great tap beer selection) appears to have gone. Told you I wasn't local :blush:

Right, I'm no eastiebeastie so I may take a pasting here, but for out of towners... the Jekyll & Hyde. Then there's the White Hart in the Grassmarket and

...oh buggger ...the other place I was about to suggest (with great tap beer selection) appears to have gone. Told you I wasn't local :blush:

That pub refrused us in kilts during Edinburgh Festival a few years back. Tourists in the pub argued to allow us in but to no avail. Won't darken its door again. f v c k them.

Edited by perthTam

You can do a decent pub crawl up the royal mile, that way they get a wee look at the touristy stuff as well. Start down the bottom of the hill, go to places like the white horse, the worlds end, no1 (used to be the Tass) and work your way up by the whiski bar, the mitre, royal mile inn, deacon Brodie's etc and finish near the castle at the ensign Ewart. Alternatively you can do quite a number of pubs around haymarket; Thomsons, the jolly botanist (used to be the spiders web) Haymarket inn, platform five, ryries, and round to Williams street for Bert's, teuchters and the Melville. You can also spend a pleasant afternoon in Stock bridge, starting with the Raeburn hotel, then along the road there are five or six pubs that I can never remember all the names but includes the stock bridge tap, hectors and the baillie, you're then about ten minutes walk up the hill to rose street.

A bit of touristy stuff - royal mile

Lazy afternoon - stock bridge

Best for beer and old fashioned pubs - Haymarket.

Edited by biffer

Saw this in the Guardian recently:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/aug/01/top-10-craft-beer-pubs-in-edinburgh

The Blue Blazer and The Guildford are great pubs - once you're in either there there's no real need to leave.

Cafe Royal at the end of Rose Street is also worth visiting.

Agree about the Guildford and the Cafe Royal (Voodoo Rooms upstairs from there also worth a visit) but I've never been taken with the Blue Blazer. Always thought it was a bit shit tbh. Of the other ones on that list, some of them are a bit young and hipster for me, but the Hanging Bat has some tremendous beers if that's what you're after.

I tend to avoid the grassmarket / cowgate / rose street most of the time, all a bit cliched and/or full of pissed up stag and hen parties (and all round ####tards).

Edited by biffer

Agree about the Guildford and the Cafe Royal (Voodoo Rooms upstairs from there also worth a visit) but I've never been taken with the Blue Blazer. Always thought it was a bit shit tbh. Of the other ones on that list, some of them are a bit young and hipster for me, but the Hanging Bat has some tremendous beers if that's what you're after.

I tend to avoid the grassmarket / cowgate / rose street most of the time, all a bit cliched and/or full of pissed up stag and hen parties (and all round ####tards).

I know what you meant about Grassmarket/Rose Street/Cowgate - in my days in Edinburgh I generally preferred the William Street and Stockbridge pubs. The Melville in particular was a belter with its old carpets and tables - was disappointed to see that it had gone upmarket when I was in the vicinity recently. Ditto the Baillie - was great when it was a darkened smoky dive...

I know what you meant about Grassmarket/Rose Street/Cowgate - in my days in Edinburgh I generally preferred the William Street and Stockbridge pubs. The Melville in particular was a belter with its old carpets and tables - was disappointed to see that it had gone upmarket when I was in the vicinity recently. Ditto the Baillie - was great when it was a darkened smoky dive...

Yeah, I don't like what they've done to the Melville either - if anyone was to do that to Bert's and Teuchters I'd be leading the mob with pitchforks and flaming torches.

If you are up the royal mile way the Bow Bar on victoria street is excellent - huge whisky selection. newer bar type - the villager on george IV bridge is a good spot and the advocate down avocates close of the royal mile is a decent newish bar.

for some folk/scottish music - sandy bells on forrest row is the spot, all quite close. but theres loads really - just depends what sort of night you are after.

If you are up the royal mile way the Bow Bar on victoria street is excellent - huge whisky selection. newer bar type - the villager on george IV bridge is a good spot and the advocate down avocates close of the royal mile is a decent newish bar.

for some folk/scottish music - sandy bells on forrest row is the spot, all quite close. but theres loads really - just depends what sort of night you are after.

Sandy Bells is a cracking wee pub, good whisky selection some nice beers, and usually some ad libbed folk music on in the snug at the back.

Start at the top of Broughton Street - Mathers, Barony, Phoenix, Cask & Barrel are all good Scottish pubs.

At bottom of road turn right past Cask & Barrell along East London St to Leith Walk. Some deccent pubs on Leith Walk these days (Brass Monkey, Woodland Creatures, Cask & Still, Robbies, the Windsor)

Few dumps on Leith Walk too but there's easily identified and hence swerved :D

As said above the Grassmarket is best avoided. The story about the kilts says it all.

That pub refrused us in kilts during Edinburgh Festival a few years back. Tourists in the pub argued to allow us in but to no avail. Won't darken its door again. f v c k them.

OK, I'm guessing the Grassmarket is a bit to close to the strip joints then and has some naughty stag nighters in there. I feel their pain, sorry Tam :-))

The Bow Bar is a cracking boozer - sells real ales the way Scottish pubs used to sell them originally i.e. from a font. Not a cooking lager in sight either. Edited by Charlie Endell

The Bow Bar is a cracking boozer - sells real ales the way Scottish pubs used to sell them originally i.e. from a font. Not a cooking lager in sight either.

The Scotsman at the top of Cockburn street on a saturday afternoon/early evening and get entertained or abused by Dougie :ok: