Elton John - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Listened to Reginald's (original) version of Country Comfort for the first time - definitely prefer Roderick's - say what you like about the man (and they do..), but he knows how to interpret a song (at least he used to - some cracking cover versions on his first four albums).

Simple Life from 'The One' is the mutts nuts.

Plenty of individual songs that I like, but less so for for stand alone albums.

Have a soft spot for Too Low For Zero' and his aborted 1979 Philly Soul album which gave 'Are You Ready For Love', though.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Joint worst song of the 80s with We Didn't Start the Fire and the entire Spandau Ballet back catalogue

An honourable mention for Denice Williams and 'Let's Hear it for the Boy' surely - that fecking dirge even got nominated for an Academy Award.

Then there's Stevie Wonder, pishing on his own reputation with 'I Just Called To Say I Love You'.

Also Chris de Burgh 'The Lady in Red' ,Jennifer Rush with 'The Power of Love' and Whitney Houston with 'One Moment in Time'.

The common ingredient is plodding synth chords, pishy drums, crap lyrics and overblown singing. Feck me there was some right guff riding high in the charts in that decade.

Seen Reg live twice, for free!

2003 I was working in Budapest and he played a free gig in the middle of the city. 2005 I was working in Bratislava and he did the same.

Enjoyable gigs but he was clearly long past his best. Now sounds like a Vic Reeves pub singer version of Elton John.

No doubting the greatness of many of his old records though. That BBC4 documentary recently on his 70s albums was excellent.

Agree with last paragraph 100%. His voice is awful now, he's no longer a singer he's a shouter like thst Springsteen my cnt.

Seen Reg live twice, for free!

2003 I was working in Budapest and he played a free gig in the middle of the city. 2005 I was working in Bratislava and he did the same.

Enjoyable gigs but he was clearly long past his best. Now sounds like a Vic Reeves pub singer version of Elton John.

No doubting the greatness of many of his old records though. That BBC4 documentary recently on his 70s albums was excellent.

Agree with last paragraph 100%. His voice is awful now, he's no longer a singer he's a shouter like thst Springsteen my cnt.